• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New to forum help with volts/amps

Saleen348

I've recently purchased a 94 humvee with a 6.2 amp guage is reading in the center of the yellow mainly but I did notice yesterday it was in the green section I checked volts at the generator and it yields around 31 running with both batteries disconnected I used the 2 larger wires to test but there is a smaller wire there as well...any tips would be appreciated as I do not think it is charging batteries

Carrera911

First thing is you should never disconnect the batteries while it is running. The batteries act as a voltage equalizer and running it without them can fry the EESS or other electronics if the voltage spikes. First check the voltage of each battery with the truck off and make sure it is charged (12-13 volts) and also make sure they are close to each other in voltage (within .5 volt). Then read the voltage of the batteries together and it should be 24-26 volts. Then start the truck and measure the voltage of both batteries together and see if it has increased. It should be at 26-28 volts after the truck has idled for a minute and the after glow is over. If the voltage is still the same or lower than when you tested with the truck off the either the alternator, regulator or the wiring is bad. Since you said the voltage was at 31 (again don't try that again) then the alternator is probably fine and and either the wiring is bad or the regulator is bad or out of adjustment.

Saleen348

Both batteries unhooked one reads 16.05 second battery reads 16.00
Batteries connected engine off reads 31.2
Engine running 31.2
At a loss and don't know where to begin clearly not charging
Voltage at generator engine off ignition on 30.2 engine running yields same numbers

Saleen348

Ok so after figuring them numbers aren't correct I went and baught a new multi meter volts at batteries not running 24.7 running 24.5....any input on what to check next would be greatly appreciated Thank you for your time

Action

Drive it around with the lights on for a while. Shut off. If the batteries are still 24+v, then they are getting charged. The gauge wont stay in the green until engine is running for a minute or two. Check the ground wires in the dash.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok so after figuring them numbers aren't correct I went and baught a new multi meter volts at batteries not running 24.7 running 24.5....any input on what to check next would be greatly appreciated Thank you for your time
the generator is not charging....there is an adjust screw for output under the hex plug on the top of the generator.
of cranking it all the up does not yield more output, 27.5-28.5 volts? The regulator is shot.
24.7 is 12.3-12-4 volts per battery.

Saleen348

Thank you! I put 4 new belts on it as the old ones were squeel in at highway speeds and adjusted the screw like you said...I had troubles at first trYing to raise voltage as I tried raising voltage the generator would start making a noise and hit 30v I had to keep turning it to increase it then stopped making the noise and now is at 27.5 and the volt guage is in the green thank u guys for your time to reply much appreciated!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks