• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New to M35, getting started, where am I leaking?

clob mcstrunk

No big deal to replace a spring, with the piston at TDC. It's a one-man job and can be done with no special tools.)
You can do the spring without pulling the head. Put the piston at TDC compression and replace the spring.
Apparently I wasn't paying close attention, but it is the exhaust valve on the second cylinder, (4th from the front of engine.) Will the rope-in-the-cylinder trick work in this case?

Big thanks to @cattlerepairman for the quick hook-up with new springs, I should have them tomorrow and plan to tackle it this weekend.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Will the rope-in-the-cylinder trick work in this case?
No rope and no trick needed, since when the piston is all the way up it will hold the valve(s) in place, almost closed.

Just spin the crank about one 3rd of a turn past the point where the intake valve of that cylinder has closed. That should be your TC, more or less.
To confirm, use a lever and pry down on the valve stem itself. Travel should be limited to 1/16", at most.

clob mcstrunk

Well, here's the damage, wanted to update all that helped.

And again, thanks to @cattlerepairman for the parts!

ex spring.jpg

When I get a chance to get back in the garage, Ill snap a pic of the compression assistance tool I made to hold the spring while installing the valve locks. I started with trying to lever the top of the retainer down via a drilled prybar but didnt feel comfortable with the leverage point or the purchase it had on top. So of course I spent an hour making a compression plate.....that worked like a champ, but will likely never get touched again.

Last edited:

clob mcstrunk

Here the quick valve spring compressor tool I made. The hole on the left is held in by the rocker arm bolt, the right is lined up with a valve cover bolt. The large center hole is large enough to slip the valve locks through but small enough that the retainer cannot. Tighten both sides evenly, compressing the valve spring until the top of the valve is proud of the retainer to be able to literally drop in the locks, then remove the whole thing.

Ill start the bidding at $250.

valve compressor.jpg

clob mcstrunk

Does it run better?
Id say so! Sounds night and day different, much smoother sounding. Started within 2 seconds, whereas prior I would have to hold for 5-10 seconds and sometimes max out the throttle cable to get it to crank up.

Also, never had it above 50mph before.

As for the leaking, there is still some leaking, but night and day different than before.

Attachments

M37M35

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Id say so! Sounds night and day different, much smoother sounding. Started within 2 seconds, whereas prior I would have to hold for 5-10 seconds and sometimes max out the throttle cable to get it to crank up.

Also, never had it above 50mph before.

As for the leaking, there is still some leaking, but night and day different than before.
Awesome!!

clob mcstrunk

Wanted to bring this back to the top with an update.

The leaking that started this hunting expedition has been stopped since last year. Truck has been in various stages of torn-apart since then and I've probably only got about 30-50 miles on it since then. There is still oil on (almost) everything that there was originally, but none on the ground under the truck.

Anyways, as I was spending time on the underside of things, I grabbed ahold of the front driveshaft to pull myself forward and felt about a half-inch (?) of slop.

The MF oil leak that I spent hours upon hours, and hundreds of dollars on diagnosing and trying to fix, turned out to be the front axle, rear-facing pinion seal.

:rolleyes:

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wanted to bring this back to the top with an update.

The leaking that started this hunting expedition has been stopped since last year. Truck has been in various stages of torn-apart since then and I've probably only got about 30-50 miles on it since then. There is still oil on (almost) everything that there was originally, but none on the ground under the truck.

Anyways, as I was spending time on the underside of things, I grabbed ahold of the front driveshaft to pull myself forward and felt about a half-inch (?) of slop.

The MF oil leak that I spent hours upon hours, and hundreds of dollars on diagnosing and trying to fix, turned out to be the front axle, rear-facing pinion seal.

:rolleyes:
If there is that much slop, it might be worth checking the pinion bearings, too. Otherwise the new seal will start to leak in short order.

Look at this thread for a few tips: https://www.steelsoldiers.com/threads/rockwell-pinion-bearing-help-please.156915/

If you end up needing bearings: https://www.steelsoldiers.com/threads/pinion-bearings-napa.54205/

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks