• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New to M35A2, first purchase

RaggedyMan

Looking at this 67 AMG and if all goes well and it's as I was lead to believe, I'll be driving it the 350 miles Sunday to get it back home. I've been assured it's in excellent condition and has been on a 2-3 hour road trip just recently to a military vehicle show.

If there are any pros and/or cons to this particular model I wish someone would shout out as I'm new to these vehicles and would hate to drive that distance only to find out there's some obvious question or deal breaker I overlooked, otherwise WISH ME LUCK!!!

00202_9ch3BdfJfnx_600x450.jpg01212_f72CZAgS2VA_600x450.jpg

theeDIZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You will have a special appreciation for the deuce after a 350mile trip , they are slow on highways your butt will be sore and your arms will get a workout . That being said you will be smiling for days afterwards! Just make sure brakes are in good order and fluids are at proper levels .

m109a2

Welcome from Lake Charles La.Bring fuel filters,oil,handtools,lots of water,hearing protection,and check everything from air filter on down.Get on the member map for guys that have a deuce to come help if need be.Plan your route well.I hope you have a chase truck.Take your time and have fun.Al

two.fiveM35

Nice truck. Be careful and don't push it over its limits. Make sure the transfer case is in high, lol. Every few years we here someone doing a recovery and don't realize it's in low.

bonedoc

Nice truck, welcome to the site and congratulations on the purchase. I did a 400+ mile trip bringing mine home and it was great!! You will learn a lot really fast about your truck during that time. As other have said and likely will say be prepared. Expect the best but prepare for the worst. I had a chase vehicle follow me and had it loaded with tools, fluids, some extra parts, etc. Mine had been gone over and very well maintained by the previous owner but...as you will find anything can happen.
Anyway, prep for the trip, drive the truck within its limits and have fun!! It will be an event you will remember forever.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If there are any pros and/or cons to this particular model I wish someone would shout out as I'm new to these vehicles and would hate to drive that distance only to find out there's some obvious question or deal breaker I overlooked, otherwise WISH ME LUCK!!!
Congrats, first off. You are travelling on a Sunday, so quickly popping into a truck garage or NAPA for a part you need to keep on rolling could be an issue (think of your plan for that). I second the suggestion to take some time, check the members' map and see who would be close enough to lend a hand and/or tow you and figure out how to contact them. Personally, I would probably carry a few of the maintenance items you will have to have on hand anyways, owning this truck (bulbs, belts, hose clamps, lug nut socket (it is ok if you do not want to change a tire, but you do need to be able to tighten a loose lug nut) and breaker bar. Hand tools (socket set etc.). Ask the owner which brake fluid is in the truck (3 or 5?) and carry at least a small bottle of it.

350 miles is not extremely far, but it is long enough of a trip to become stressful really fast, should things go wrong. "A deal breaker you overlooked" would likely be very obvious after this trip. Other than that...you have a 45 year old truck...it's out of warranty! :)

There are several threads about how to prepare for a lengthy first-time thread. Most of it is common sense. Some of it is having at least heard of some of the things that can go wrong and know what to do, if... (think broken throttle return spring, overheating hubs, clogging filters etc.)

I suggest to do a methodical pre-trip inspection. Have a printed copy of the operator's manual with you!
My emphasis would be that you know how to check the fill level of the master cylinder (I, personally, would be checking the brake fluid level a couple of times during the trip on a truck new to me; there is no "low brake fluid" warning lamp). Also check lug nuts (they have right and left hand threads!) with a nut and breaker bar and ensure they are tight. Check underneath, armed with a rag and 1/2 in drive ratchet for any visible leaks (I would probably check the oil level in the tranny and transfer case...hence the rag and ratchet). Seeing how you are down there already, check the nuts that hold the U-joints of the short jack shaft between tranny and transfer case (they like to come loose). Check the drive shafts for play on both ends where they enter the axles and the tranny/transfer case. Looseness and signs of oil spills are not good before a long trip.
Check the batteries (tied down? Terminals securely fastened? Remember, you don't have a main power switch that you can shut off if something starts throwing sparks...).

On an unpaved road surface, do a lock-up brake check...go about 20mph and do a panic stop. Full on the brakes, hard, all the way. IF there is an iffy brake hose, NOW is the time to blow it, not during the trip. Does the truck drift off to one side before coming to a stop? A good time to check the parking brake before you hop out of the cab.
Check for skid marks behind each wheel...you want to see that they all locked up, and braked fairly equally (same length of skid mark between similar wheels on each side). If there is no skid mark at any one wheel, rinse and repeat...if still no skid mark, you could have a wheel without brakes. If all works, you can have the confidence of already having experienced how the truck stops!

Sorry if any of this sounds paranoid. I rather spend a bit more time up-front checking things before I get going, than on the edge of my seat during the drive, hoping that it will all work out.

Last edited:

TB58

Other than tools and spare parts giving yourself plenty of time for the trip is very important. These aren't quick trucks and they make a lot of different sounds. When I brought mine home I made a lot of stops because I would hear a new sound and didn't know if it was something bad or just the truck doing its thing. Had I had to go to work the next day I know I would have been a lot more stressed and not had near as much fun bringing it home.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
One tip is to down shift the transfer case while the wheels are still turning just a tad when stopping. So when coming to a stop just before the truck stops make the low range shift and it will drop in so much easer.

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like the truck is equipped with a springer drives seat, your butt won't hate you..... Read the operators manual, twice. Have fun and take pictures.

GrizzlyEater

She looks beautiful! Obviously have a chace car with some tools and bring water. I went straight to the gas station to fill up with fresh diesel. My screen in the filler was clogged so had to remove it to fill, bring gloves and a roll of paper towels. It can be a little tricky removing the filler neck just turn and pull. These trucks make so many noises, rattles and bangs you will think something is wrong. Trust me they are all normal. I'd stop frequently to stretch and give her a break, make sure to idle her before you shut her off. Bring a can of ether too, long trips will/may disturb some settlement in the tank and it may take a little blast in the mushroom to start (don't use too much and make her dependent on it)! I omitted the obvious walk around and read TM (figured you'd get a lot of that advice), I just mentioned some things that I experienced on my trip home. Depending on your ears, ear plugs aren't a bad idea, I haven't needed them on any of my trips. Also plan your route that keeps you off major roads as much as possible, I wouldn't go much above 40 mph until you two are a bit more acquainted. The other thing, cell phones are pretty much worthless in the truck so work out signals and plan stops with your chase car. I promise you that you will have a permanent grin on your face for weeks! As far as any deal breakers, these trucks are so easy to work on (and fun), if she starts and drives for a mile without a problem you're good to go. While driving keep your eye on the oil, temp and air gauge. Remember do not trust your fuel gage. Oh and remember to turn your blinker off! Lol

Welcome to the green disease from Minnesota!

18operator

Welcome from Northeastern Ohio! Make sure you have your paperwork in order :I.E. license and registration, and a valid insurance card. If you have to travel on a major interstate, you already know the Deuce is a bit slow. State patrol may want to pull you over for impeding traffic. Hopefully you'll have an uneventful trip, but it's always good to have everything you need at hand.
Good Driving!

mark salanco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I will never forget the day I drove my M35A2 over 850 miles. I only stopped for fuel. I was a hurting n tired boy at the end of that trip. Good luck n be safe!

SteveKuhn

I just drove the chase truck for a friend who did the last 100 of 180 miles to pick up his truck. Was uneventful because it's a good truck that had been well-prepped by the seller who we knew well. Nevertheless, we took almost everything mentioned above and a bit more.

For the pre-trip inspection, this is a good place to start. My recommendation to add to the above is to keep it 50 mph tops, 1800-2200 rpms for the most part, put on goggles or wrap around sunglasses (no kidding), open the driver's windshield and floor vents, and have a blast. Don't forget to scrape the bugs off your front teeth at each rest stop.

Congratulations on joining the Fun Truck Club.

Steve

Attachments

RaggedyMan

Boy you guys have some great advice, unfortunately I couldn't log on while I was away but I'm happy to report that all went well.
I bought it from a dealer in Dover De, those guys were great. They had driven it to Aberdeen just a few weeks prior and repaired some questionable things after that trip and even gave me an upgrade or two to install myself. I wish the oil press gauge (or sending unit) would have quit working before I left but that'll give me something to do.

Speaking of something to do.......... After about 200 miles I noticed it started "bouncing" as I would take off from a stop. When I was backing up into my lot it was as if the dang thing had hydraulics under it to make it jump up & down. I've been searching posts but found nothing definitive.
Also there is a loud air leak under the dash. At first I thought it was only after I turned it off, upon closer inspection it's all the time but doesn't seem to affect the air pressure or braking, etc while running. It's coming from a junction box (?) under the dash where 4 or 5 lines run to it. Is this normal? I think I noticed it at the shop but wrote it off to pressure release once it's off.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks