• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New to me 1969 M274A5 Bayfield mule

AMGeneral

Hey AM,

First, congratulations on getting the mule up and running. A word of caution, however; not trying to be a d*ck, but these vehicles can kill. They overturn very easily, and you may only get one chance. We keep all of our mules in low range only. We would hate to see you flip it over, and if you do, and are blessed to survive, you may do irreparable damage to the mule, and find that parts are no longer available.

Just our 2 cents, not meaning to rain on your parade, but please be very careful when enjoying the vehicle.

Understood, no offence taken, and advice is always welcome.

That short stint in the video will probably be the only time it will hit top speed, 99.9% of my use will be low range as well.

AMGeneral

For general travel driver and passenger I run about 4 psi in the tires to give a softer ride. If hauling fire wood then I go back to 12-15 psi. Going through the woods without a road I keep 12 psi to avoid hitting a stump or rocks and rolling the bead off the wheel. I only run tires that have tubes for that reason. Some like the tubeless application but for me I run tubes in the 7.50-10 and 26-1200 x 12 tires.

Thanks, I plan to go back with stock tires with tubes, at present the tires have about 12 psi.

I use my mule a lot at my railroad museum doing chores like picking up trash and othe debris people throw along two miles of track and spraying weeds around 100+ acres of railroad museum. With both herbicide tanks filled and tools I am running over a 700 lb load, and with a short wheel base and high center of gravity keeping things right side up is always on my mind. I keep my second and third gear high range running strictly on paved roads and going straight ahead.

nickd

Glad you got it all together. The mule is a sturdy little machine. Simple and easy to work on. Some how I would up with 5 of them. I need to attend a meeting

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks