• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New to me 1985 M1009 CUCV

cucvrus

Are you sure this is an authentic CUCV. It looks like an imposter at every angle I look at it. The shift selector, The firewall, all seem odd. It looks like someone made this into a CUCV Clone. Do you have a left door data plate? And what is the first 9 digits of the VIN?

KLRBILLY

Yeah it's a CUCV. The data plates are there and the VIN is a right. It has a lot of parts that were added from a civilian suburban. A/C, cruise control, and steering column.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KLRBILLY

Update:
Since getting this thing home I have changed all of the glow plugs which led to fixing the glow plug wires on the passenger side. They were fried! I have the ATS turbo on that side and all the exhaust manifold. I learned what fusible link wire is...never heard of it before. Cost me about $15 on Amazon and I had enough of the proper wire. Then I insulated it with some wrap made by DEI and put the whole loom in an insulated half inch loom protector that is rated to 2000 degrees.
Truck fired right up like it should following that.
A few weeks later I started researching why the transmission was shifting so hard. Tested the vacuum pump and it was completely dead. Popped off the intake manifold and swapped out the vacuum pump...easy enough. While I was there I looked at my turbo wheel and noticed it was chewed up pretty bad. Sometimes got into the blades at some point and worked it over. So I ordered a rebuild kit and a wheel off of eBay after a painful amount of research. The ATS turbo system is pretty rare and no longer in production so it makes finding parts a research project. Rebuilding the turbo was easy enough. So I get the turbo back on and the intake manifold bolted up get her a test fire and the freaking injector pump is leaking!!! Really. That's the last time I put the intake manifold back on without running it first. So I'm just trying to keep her running until I get enough time and parts staged and I will do almost a frame off rebuild. Until then I want to drive this thing. So this morning I head out pop the intake manifold back off and pull out the little Allen bolt and plate the hold on the end cap. There is a little o ring in there. It appeared to be leaking from there so I said what the ****. If this fixes the leak I can run this thing. Sure enough that Old o ring was hard as a rock and missing a chunk. Put in a new one and no more leaks!
While I was there I noticed the timing mark on the injector pump was way over to the passenger side. Basically 2-3mm to the retarded side. I have an injector pump off an 83 Truck also a J code. When I looked it up in the manual it said it should be aligned with the timing mark on the housing. I lined them up and the thing runs like a top. I have it back together now. Hopefully the next time I tear into her it will be to rebuild everything.
If anyone has questions about the ATS turbo send me a PM. I learned a lot and it's working really well now that it has an unmolested compressor wheel. Happy wrenching.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks