• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New to me 2000 M1097A2

fpchief

Starting to get to know my new MV. Have replaced the fluids and have gotten the engine back together. Bought it with no alternator or PS pump on it and as a non-runner.

Installed a pump and alternator and it cranks and drives ok. The alternator is loud, assume its bearings are about gone...will troubleshoot that but my immediate issue is the belt. When running I can hear a loud popping noise every few seconds. Found that it is the belt riding up over the lip of the crank pulley and popping back down.

Not seeing any obvious reasons it would be doing this...any ideas??

I THINK the fan pulley shaft may have some play, looks slightly wobbly while running but with the belt on, I cant feel any play in it.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would remove the serp and check all the accessories for shaft wobble and pulley alignment.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oddly enough, mine just started doing the exact same thing. Was considering starting a thread soon about it if I couldn't figure it out.

During startup when the glow plugs are pulsing and putting a brief heavy load on the generator, it does that. Also hear the same sound when the wheels are at full lock, but can't verify that the belt is sliding up over the front of the fan pulley at full lock, just during glow plugs pulsing.

(mine is a 99 or 2000 M1123, rebuilt GEP 6.5 put in in 2009)

fpchief

Oddly enough, mine just started doing the exact same thing. Was considering starting a thread soon about it if I couldn't figure it out.

During startup when the glow plugs are pulsing and putting a brief heavy load on the generator, it does that. Also hear the same sound when the wheels are at full lock, but can't verify that the belt is sliding up over the front of the fan pulley at full lock, just during glow plugs pulsing.

(mine is a 99 or 2000 M1123, rebuilt GEP 6.5 put in in 2009)
My generator was in the back of the bed for unknown years...in the rain and all. It is definitely noisy and possibly putting extra strain on the belt too. Those generators may be the issue. I wont know until I get a new one though.

fpchief

Took my belt off and ran it for a few seconds to verify it is my alternator that is loud and it is...

Check out each pulley and the passenger side top idler is tight and will be replaced. The water pump pulley does not wobble by hand, but if I put a pry bar behind it I can move it without using much force. I guess my biggest question is if I need to replace the water pump. No idea if a little movement is ok or not.

Lastly, the used power steering pump I installed does have some shaft movement....not side to side but in and out. Is it bad??? PS works just fine

Have to find what is behind this belt not tracking on all pulleys correctly.

fpchief

Got the whole front end tore down. Question is that my new water pump came with a gasket for the pump to adapter and one for adapter to block.

Tearing this thing apart, it had RTV only from adapter to block and gasket from pump to adapter. Does it really matter which I choose? As long as not using both? I know what TM states, just wonder if anyone has experience with one being better than other.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks