• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

"New" (to me) 85 M1009

SPCWarning

First of all, thanks for this website! Actually joined before I got my CUCV. I've gotten so much good info and had a blast reading a lot of the posts and replies. I FINALLY got my Military Truck. Got this from a guy who had bought it from GL. It has 73,000 miles and runs like a top. No strange noises, just a tough old truck. Tires are good as new. Since my AIT at Fort Leonard Wood in '84, (64C) , and especially since my trip to the Desert in '91 I've always wanted one of these CUCV's. Finally got tired of the old car I was building and swapped it for this one. It's a keeper. Heck my wife even likes it as much as she hated my old Fairlane! My plans are simple.... knowing the power of the 6.2 isn't over the top I'll maybe go to a 33/10.50. I have absolutely no plans of any turbo or any of that jazz. GM would have installed one in 85 if they thought it needed it. It has plenty of power and runs too good to mess with. I already scored a new Rough Country 2" spring lift kit for it cheap. I've downloaded the original camo pattern with color-by-numbers and have found the CARC substitute paint for it. I basically want to make it look as good as it runs. The paint is faded as all of them are, and has been touched up by PVT Beetle Bailey with a brush a few times over the years and has NO rust-through. On the fiberglass top howerver, there are pretty big spots where the paint is gone and the rough fiberglass is showing. Anybody have any suggestions on how to smooth this back out and paint it? Keep in mind this is low budget and not something I want Barret Jackson to sell, just want it to look as good as possible CHEAP. Thanks !

Attachments

Last edited:

SPCWarning

First of all, thanks for this website! Actually joined before I got my CUCV. I've gotten so much good info and had a blast reading a lot of the posts and replies. I FINALLY got my Military Truck. Got this from a guy who had bought it from GL. It has 73,000 miles and runs like a top. No strange noises, just a tough old truck. Tires are good as new. Since my AIT at Fort Leonard Wood in '84, (64C) , and especially since my trip to the Desert in '91 I've always wanted one of these CUCV's. Finally got tired of the old car I was building and swapped it for this one. It's a keeper. Heck my wife even likes it as much as she hated my old Fairlane! My plans are simple.... knowing the power of the 6.2 isn't over the top I'll maybe go to a 33/10.50. I have absolutely no plans of any turbo or any of that jazz. GM would have installed one in 85 if they thought it needed it. It has plenty of power and runs too good to mess with. I already scored a new Rough Country 2" spring lift kit for it cheap. I've downloaded the original camo pattern with color-by-numbers and have found the CARC substitute paint for it. I basically want to make it look as good as it runs. The paint is faded as all of them are, and has been touched up by PVT Beetle Bailey with a brush a few times over the years and has NO rust-through. On the fiberglass top howerver, there are pretty big spots where the paint is gone and the rough fiberglass is showing. Anybody have any suggestions on how to smooth this back out and paint it? Keep in mind this is low budget and not something I want Barret Jackson to sell, just want it to look as good as possible CHEAP. Thanks !

Got the information online for smoothing the fiberglass. I'll get on it soon as I get home from work in 10 days. I'm really looking forward to working on my truck and enjoying it. I hope to get to at least one SS Rally asap.

Last edited:

SPCWarning

Did I do this wrong? Maybe I put my truck in the wrong forum or something? Should I have started in the "new members" forum? The only replies I've gotten are from me..........just wondering. I'm a VFW (Operation Desert Storm), and my MOS was 64C/88M (that's Heavy Wheeled Vehicle Operator for those who don't know). I've logged MANY miles in MANY different places behind the wheel of: M813, M35A2, M818, M1009, and M977. It has taken me a long time to actually own my first MV and I want to be part of SS. Where's the warm welcome? Where's the love?:shock:

Attachments

firefirefire90

Did I do this wrong? Maybe I put my truck in the wrong forum or something? Should I have started in the "new members" forum? The only replies I've gotten are from me..........just wondering. I'm a VFW (Operation Desert Storm), and my MOS was 64C/88M (that's Heavy Wheeled Vehicle Operator for those who don't know). I've logged MANY miles in MANY different places behind the wheel of: M813, M35A2, M818, M1009, and M977. It has taken me a long time to actually own my first MV and I want to be part of SS. Where's the warm welcome? Where's the love?:shock:
thread replies are hit or miss, but it could have been your yellow typing was a pain to read rofl

welcome to the site! I also have a m1009 and I love it. Thank you for serving, it really does mean a lot.

SPCWarning

Thanks!

thread replies are hit or miss, but it could have been your yellow typing was a pain to read rofl

welcome to the site! I also have a m1009 and I love it. Thank you for serving, it really does mean a lot.

Thank you, I tried to go back and edit the color I hope it worked........you were right, it really WAS a pain to read........wasn't thinking. And it was an Honor to serve our great country!

Grega

Go over to the CUCV forum and you may get alot more responses. My M1009 looked alot like yours when I bought it. I bought my M1009 from the Nebraska National Guard 2 years ago and just got around to painting it 2 months ago. I need to update my avaitor.Spent the last 2 years changing all the wetherstrip, fixing the tailgate crank and window, new suspension bushings, and the list goes on and on. She wasnt in bad shape, no rust whatsoever, but 20+ years sitting in the sun took its toll on the paint, fiberglass and anything rubber. I waited untill everything else was done before it painted it. I wanted the paint done right so I took it to the local body shop and they preped the body and fixed the fiberglass top and sprayed it to origional with Rapco paint. The first thing you should do is the doghead starter relay mod, its at the top of the cucv forum, and them go from there.

SPCWarning

Grega, thanks for the info! It will take a while since my "honey-do" list seems to get bigger all the time. I've read about the dog head starter relay mod, and yes that will be the first mod. I work out of country 28/28 and have my 28 days at work to wish, plan, hope, draw pictures, look up info, etc. Oh, and I also get a little bit of mechanic work done while I'm here. :)
Ravage Ritual, thanks and will do! I really like this site, never knew it existed til I was offered a CUCV for my old Fairlane project. Proud to be a newbie to the site!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks