• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New to me 998!

Scuffy

Well it finally happened- I made the jump and picked up an M998. I had my heart set on one in Texas but shipping or driving from Texas to Ohio was just not in the cards when it came down to the extra money needed. (I'll be honest- I could have waited another couple months and it wouldn't have been a problem, but I decided that I wanted one NOW darnit!) Picked up this one in Pittsburgh, PA- only about 2 hours from me. Not knowing much about MV's, diesels, etc... I'll admit that this is mildly intimidating. But I'm willing to learn, that's for sure! Bringing it home on a trailer was a must as I have no clue what state the spindle nuts are in. The tires look a decent enough to run around the block but are showing signs of their age. Front passenger soft door window stitching came out so the window just flops down. Small 4"+ crease/gash in the rocker panel area. And paint that is just plain.... sad. Aside from that it doesn't appear to be anything worse than what I expected. Rear driver side seat base was full of enough black walnuts to completely fill a kitchen trash bag. With that cleaned out I took it around the corner to the car wash and just pressure washed the inside and outside of things and it's much more presentable now. Still need to do this at least once more, with some Purple Power or similar to make sure things are clean enough to paint. Have a gallon of Behr Marquee made up and ready to apply this weekend since the temps will finally be up in the 60's. I did try the paint out on the rear seat base panels and the rear seat back panels (forgot to put back in for the pix) On a positive note- it starts up and runs beautifully. At least to my untrained and diesel-naive ears. I also got a full set of Smittybilt Jeep seats to mount. Enough of the blabbering, time for pix!!!

Attachments

Scuffy

A few questions.... The "Pulse Charge Monitor" box- are these standard? Or did someone add this after it was de-milled?

The crease/gash in the tub, below the rear passenger door is can be seen, somewhat in the side view. What is the best way to fix said problem? Should it be Tig welded or just filled? I'd like to get it taken care of before paint.

I also forgot that this also came with a trailer. Apparently it's not a trailer for a HMMWV specifically as it was originally for a generator. I have yet to make a second trip in order to pick it up but the owner did send pix. He knows nothing about which model generator was on it. Does anyone recognize it? It looks like it was made to haul a beast of a generator as it's a single axle but dually. Looks like maybe Deuce wheels? He says it looks like it may be set up for air brakes as well. I have a 5kw generator that I'm curious about attaching to it but I'm not sure if it will share the same mounting options if it's not the same size that came on it originally. Does anyone recognize the model? Is it worth keeping for use or modified for use with the 998 or should l peddle it and search for something else? I have what I think is a Korean era comms type shelter that I wouldn't mind fitting into a trailer. (I think it was from that era... I'd have to go back and look now. The memory is a bit fuzzy on that one. It's small- only 6' deep from front to back. I think it made to sit in the back of a Kaiser?)

Attachments

Scuffy

Trailer is a M200 intended for 30 kw generators. I would pass on it.
NDT Normally I would but since it comes with the 998... it's a freebee. In this day in age it's hard to pass up a freebee! I figure I can always turn around and try to sell or trade it. Thank you for the ID on it- now I can at least look up the specs before I head back down for it. I really appreciate it!!!!!!!

Scuffy

The gash is testament to how careless the GP folks are with fork lifts. :mad:
I never thought of that- but ya know.... that's the perfect size. You're probably right!!!!! Never crossed my mind. Cosmetically speaking- is it just easier to fill it with Duraglass and be done with it? Or is it better to try to pull it back out and have someone TIG it? Then again, to answer my own question... it's not structural and it really just is a matter of choice. There's a gallon of Behr Marquee waiting to spruce this beast up and filling that gash would sure speed things along!!!

Scuffy

Ok just be aware they are heavy AF and wide too, don’t bring much at resale.
Ya know what, NDT? Had a thought while I was at work over night... heavy and wide may be a good thing! I'm a ham radio operator and for many of our events and competitions our club erects temporary masts and towers to get our antennas a bit higher... This might make a nice base for a tilt up antenna trailer project! The weight and width would surely help stabilize it!

Autonomy_Lost

Yeah so many people just throw batteries in there with no tie down, then go boonie bashing, then wonder why their alternator is burned out.
Thats the best case scenario.

Hit the right bump or god forbid a rollover and lets hope you get out before your humvee is a pile of ashes.

MarkM

CODE BROWN...It's all going to sh~t !
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ya know what, NDT? Had a thought while I was at work over night... heavy and wide may be a good thing! I'm a ham radio operator and for many of our events and competitions our club erects temporary masts and towers to get our antennas a bit higher... This might make a nice base for a tilt up antenna trailer project! The weight and width would surely help stabilize it!
Maybe haul a radio shack trailer with a small genset to run everything. My buddy has a crazy setup in his Pinzgauer 712M. I'm going to set up a 2 meter rig in my M998. There are a number of hams on this site.

Mark
N1FTC

20220923_181902.jpg

Awol

The gash is testament to how careless the GP folks are with fork lifts. :mad:
There's one on my local marketplace that has two perfectly punched rectangular holes in the driver side rocker. It's a clean truck otherwise, but damn that forklift operator certainly made a lasting impression.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There's one on my local marketplace that has two perfectly punched rectangular holes in the driver side rocker. It's a clean truck otherwise, but damn that forklift operator certainly made a lasting impression.
I see allot of them damaged, sometimes they just have the forks tilted up as the retreat and rip the bottom of the body panels.
But most of that is shown so the buyer can decide if they want it or not.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks