• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New to Me Acquired MEP-701A

leedawg

So Just purchased this 701a on Sunday from GL out here in Ca. I probably paid way to much for it but have always wanted one of these and never see them come up for auction out here. I paid bout 1000 after all the taxs and fees, however to put it in perspective usually a mep 003a goes for bout 1500 out here.

Any way below are some pictures of the unit I was surprised how light it actually is I can move it if I push really hard on it which compared to the rest of them is relatively light. Still not nice and portable as my little honda eu 2000.

So I got this unit home thought id post up some engravings I noted on the top of the unit and in front of the control panel. If the engraving is any indication all I should have to do is add some fuel and oil, battery and turn the key and off she will go :) Hopefully it is that easy. Finding the time is my problem so probably wont start tackling this till this weekend.

One problem I did notice already with it is the flexible part of the exhaust system is pretty torn up so I am going to have to source some kinda of flex tube for the exhaust to route it down to the lower pipe from the output at the top of the motor or the whole ask will fill up with exhaust id imagine.

The other thing I noticed was the throttle only moves about 1/2 inch at most from wide open to closed the adjustment screws appear to be very turned in caging it into a very small area of travel. Thought my throttle cable was sized at first but turns out the lever on the injection pump only moves a very small amount so will have to see if this needs adjustment after I manage to get this thing started.

I have searched the board and there is not to much on these units compared to the 002, 003, 004. I am going to have to go get the TM's for it but from what I have gathered from reading is a 16D is essentially the same unit without the acoustic enclosure.

For those of you that own these is delks pretty good at getting parts for them? I have not called them yet about this unit but I am worried how hard it is going to be to source various parts for this unit since I rarely even see them come up for auction out here.

And has anybody had any problems with the fuel injector pump on these units? Im praying I dont have to have it rebuilt nor the injector but knowing my luck I probably will.

Will up date more when I know more here are the pics.

Attachments

Last edited:
Someone was excited that it "works" ! Hopefully those words will ring true once you get ready to fire it up. Good luck and I look forward to hearing how your adventure goes.

Saturday I am going to go look at one and hopefully do a little trading if we are both happy with what we see. I'm printing off the TM now to review before I go look on Saturday.

ETN550

I ordered the minimum length of 5ft of that orange exhaust hose for the very same reason, had one with a hole in it. Not much of a hole but I want it made right. Anyway, it looks like I got the end of the reel and they must have said just send the rest of it! So I got around 12ft or so on hand. Send me a PM and I'll part with some. BTW, McMaster Carr carries the hose. I think it was about $10 per ft with shipping but like I said I got a lot more than I ordered and they only charged me for 5ft. I'll figure out how much length is needed in the 701A by this weekend and post again.

Regarding the throttle: These generators can burn up the main voltage regulator if the rpm is too low. Therefore, set the screws for low rpm 55Hz and high rpm for 64Hz. Then it stays on the meter and is safe. No danger doing a cold start to rated rpm. They are made for that. The throttle is mainly to get the Hz spot on for a constant load situation. I have the rear main seal out of one right now and I can tell you that the rear bearing is about the size of a light truck engine. 3 inches in diameter and about an inch wide. Very over built.

Find the 202 page service manual and perform all the governor adjustments. It makes them run real nice and tight.

Southern Automotive built them and offers some support of info and parts. I find a lot of standard type parts can be found by searching. For example: McMaster also has the nice latches used on the housing panels. Both sizes actually.

I'm finding the rear main seal to be a standard item readily available as well.

Last edited:

leedawg

To be honest have not even looked at it since I took the pictures just have not had the time. I did however go out and hook some jumper cables to the battery cables and flipped the switch to run nothing, so moved it to the start position nothing totally dead so I've got some work on the dc side ahead of me I fear. I so I just packed it up called it a day perhaps tomorrow ill find some more time to go through it. How's your purring like a kitten? How much did you pay for yours? I fear I paid too much for mine we shall see.... May need some reference pics off yours...

After getting home I backed the trailer into the shed and called it a day. I'll get out there tomorrow and tinker with it a bit. The Auto Craft U1-1 batteries were still on sale today, so two came home with me to get rid of the 24v battery. It's got a new fuel filter on it (and a spare came with it) so I will try and pick an oil filter soon. The oil in it looks like it is brand new.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks