• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New to me and Dad M38A1

helomedic1171

what are the differences between the CJ5 engine and the M38A1 engine? I know the Milspec stuff is 24v, not 6 or 12, but this M38A1 doesn't have an engine, and the engines we're getting are CJ5 engines. I noticed while looking for gaskets, the Fel-pro full gasket sets have a note that says "does not include military engine rear main seal". that's what prompted me down this train of thought.

helomedic1171

it's kinda 50-50. God bless him for funding the project, but I'm the one building it for/with him. it's his jeep when it's all said and done. I'm totally fine with that, him and Mom live in the house behind mine and we share a driveway. besides built in babysitters for me and the wife, it'll be easy to work on the jeep. it may even stay at my house while we work on it since I have a lot more tools than he does. I'll definitely be taking photos - I think he's already started a scrap book.

We were supposed to be headed to get the jeeps tomorrow (Sunday) but something came up on the seller's end. we'll be headed up there next weekend, which works out well since it's a 3-day weekend for us Army folk. I guess the mothership has deemed it unnecessary for us to show up to work Monday, on account of the Superbowl, and would rather us stay home than show up late and hung over. sounds like a plan.

wilfreeman

Just found this thread. Man, what a deal! I have my 'a1 parts jeep up for sale on my blog for $1000obo ( http://wilfreeman.wordpress.com ), and it is a good bit rougher and less complete (body wise) than yours is! I have some parts I might part with for a decent price if you can't use the cj parts for some reason. I'm in Richburg, SC.

helomedic1171

Just found this thread. Man, what a deal! I have my 'a1 parts jeep up for sale on my blog for $1000obo ( http://wilfreeman.wordpress.com ), and it is a good bit rougher and less complete (body wise) than yours is! I have some parts I might part with for a decent price if you can't use the cj parts for some reason. I'm in Richburg, SC.
I checked out your blog page, and we'll probably need some of the stuff you're getting rid of. When we get the jeeps back home, I'll take better photos and take stock of what we need. as long as this other CJ isn't a completely rusted out hole in the ground, we plan to fix it up as well, after the Milspec one is done or very far along. if it IS a rusty hole in the ground, I'll try and flip it quickly after we grab a few things off of it. there are Jeep guys out there crazy enough to restore just about anything regardless of condition.

wilfreeman

Just out of curiosity, and asked by the ignorant, what tires and wheels are on that jeepZ.
Is it the same as the M37, or 5 lug 9X16s.

Edit; Google says 7x16s
Hey 3d,

The 'a1 runs 7.00x16 NDCC, 5 lug wheels - I don't know what the m37 bolt pattern is, but 9.00x16s would look bad azz on the 'a1 if you had a little lift on it! Now you have me thinking. I wonder if anyone has mounted 9x16s on 'a1 rims or if they would even work?

Last edited:

Another Ahab

I checked out your blog page, and we'll probably need some of the stuff you're getting rid of. When we get the jeeps back home, I'll take better photos and take stock of what we need. as long as this other CJ isn't a completely rusted out hole in the ground, we plan to fix it up as well, after the Milspec one is done or very far along. if it IS a rusty hole in the ground, I'll try and flip it quickly after we grab a few things off of it. there are Jeep guys out there crazy enough to restore just about anything regardless of condition.
Hey there's an idea for an new thread, 'Starting Small";

- Like what's the least amount of hardware ever used to start a Re-Build?

Kind of like recreating a Dinosaur from nothing but a scrap of DNA. What a trip!

helomedic1171

Hey 3d,

The 'a1 runs 7.00x16 NDCC, 5 lug wheels - I don't know what the m37 bolt pattern is, but 9.00x16s would look bad azz on the 'a1 if you had a little lift on it! Now you have me thinking. I wonder if anyone has mounted 9x16s on 'a1 rims or if they would even work?
I dunno, but I'll keep that idea in my head for the CJ. Dad wants to do the M38A1 more or less correct, so I don't think I can convince him to lift it. he had me put step sides on a stock Dodge 2wd so he could get into it easier. I'm oinly 30 and I keep harassing him, telling him it's a b!tch getting old. :D

Another Ahab

I dunno, but I'll keep that idea in my head for the CJ. Dad wants to do the M38A1 more or less correct, so I don't think I can convince him to lift it. he had me put step sides on a stock Dodge 2wd so he could get into it easier. I'm oinly 30 and I keep harassing him, telling him it's a b!tch getting old. :D
"We're always the same age inside".

- Gertrude Stein

helomedic1171

the weather in Atlanta has been crap, but it looks like we'll still be ok to head up and get the jeeps this weekend. planning on heading out Friday afternoon, and heading back Saturday once we load up. I'll try and take some photos for posterity's sake, if nothing else I'll get some photos once we're back in Savannah. Dad has already begun ordering parts, so far we have a top, a shifter boot, a speedo, and a set of gaskets for the trans and one for the transfer. we also got an NOS air filter element - the metal kind with wire in it.

side note - how do you care for the air filters in these jeeps? tap out the dust and then spray it down with WD40?

Last edited:

helomedic1171

got the jeeps home on Saturday night. been busy offloading stuff and trying to sort out what goes where, but I've got some photos to share and quite a few questions. also, some of you guys that gave me a heads up on parts you had, you'll be getting emails soon. both the M38A1 AND the CJ5 need fenders, because both jeeps were abused quite a bit and then neglected for a few decades. I think we have a decent starting point in terms of parts and the condition of the body, but the M38A1 is gonna need a LOT of love.

I'm going to try and mention the CJ5 as little as possible in this thread since this thread (and site) is focused on Military vehicles and equipment, but if you are interested in the CJ5, I plan on starting a thread about it somewhere as well once I figure out which site/forum is the best one for that sort of thing. But, assume that since they are in similar condition, whatever we do to the M38A1 will likely need to be done to the CJ. they're both pretty neglected.

here's the M38A1 photobucket album: http://s133.photobucket.com/user/flyitlikeustolit/library/55 Willys M38A1?sort=3&page=1

helomedic1171

first question: how do I tell the difference between the military and civiliav Trans/transfer cases? reason I ask, is because since we have a pair there a a few differences I'm noticed and also, one of the transfer cases needs a few pieces. here's some photos:

I suspect this is the military transfer case -

the speedo cable is different than the other trans/transfer we have, and it looks like now other speedo cable I've seen.

pic1.jpg

Rear inspection cover is missing, as is the drum assembly on the rear (parking brake?)

pic2.jpg

the pass side mounting ear is broken off, and the shifters and hardware are missing

pic3.jpg

here's the other unit:

speedo cable

pic4.jpg

rear inspection cover and drum assembly

pic5.jpg

mounting ear intact and sticks attached

pic6.jpg

also, we were told that this is the "military" bellhousing:

pic7.jpg

and this is the "civilian" bellhousing:

pic8.jpg

here they are side-by-side.

pic9.jpg

is this true? if so, why the difference? the more complete trans/transfer assembly has the "military" bellhousing on it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Another Ahab

got the jeeps home on Saturday night. been busy offloading stuff and trying to sort out what goes where, but I've got some photos to share and quite a few questions. also, some of you guys that gave me a heads up on parts you had, you'll be getting emails soon. both the M38A1 AND the CJ5 need fenders, because both jeeps were abused quite a bit and then neglected for a few decades. I think we have a decent starting point in terms of parts and the condition of the body, but the M38A1 is gonna need a LOT of love.

I'm going to try and mention the CJ5 as little as possible in this thread since this thread (and site) is focused on Military vehicles and equipment, but if you are interested in the CJ5, I plan on starting a thread about it somewhere as well once I figure out which site/forum is the best one for that sort of thing. But, assume that since they are in similar condition, whatever we do to the M38A1 will likely need to be done to the CJ. they're both pretty neglected.

here's the M38A1 photobucket album: http://s133.photobucket.com/user/flyitlikeustolit/library/55 Willys M38A1?sort=3&page=1
How about in the Mess Hall?

I mean, consider keeping it in the family here. It sounds like it might be interesting (and as a cousin of the Willys it is MV-related in a way), and if nobody follows it with any interest it can just die nice and peaceful (lots of tombstones in the thread yard).

helomedic1171

I like that idea. I've heard of other CJ/Jeep sites out there, but I'm concerned about getting a lot of people all riled up about what I do with it (the whole keep it original/pure vs modifying it debate). just don't need the headache, when I'm really after is advice and tips on saving two vehicles that otherwise would likely have been lost to the ravages of time in a few more decades. the folks here have always been really cool, and even with differing opinions tend to stay helpful and relatively polite regardless.

zout

I have stock rims on Debs jeep - I have a full set of Goodyear MT/T Kevlar tires on them - also Dinger65's jeep. Both stock rims.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks