• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New to me Deuce with matching trailer - wrenching post

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Back at it again after a break for family/homestead priorities. Hoping to change out the transfer case and transmission fluids this weekend. Would like opinions on what you guys like to use.
Generally 80w90 Gear Oil - and like @HDN mentioned - be sure to be sure that it is good for use with bronze / brass gears syncro's.

Maybe up north where you are a lighter weight oil in those gearboxes are required as mentioned by @ToddJK ?

ToddJK

Generally 80w90 Gear Oil - and like @HDN mentioned - be sure to be sure that it is good for use with bronze / brass gears syncro's.

Maybe up north where you are a lighter weight oil in those gearboxes are required as mentioned by @ToddJK ?
I'll say I haven't had issues with stickiness or difficulty shifting when it was cold out, but I imagine in warmer temps, the non detergent SAE 40 would work too. It may not sound as ideal as some other fluids, but it is what Spicer spec'ed for their tranny and such and it is bronze safe. Only downside is the tranny and transfer case will get quite a bit warmer on long drives especially at the top end of RPMs. The t-case lever is usually my indicator how warm the t-case is getting and it will be hot like a cup of coffee cruising at 60mph or above, 55mph and below, it's pretty warm but not hot 🤷

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I'll say I haven't had issues with stickiness or difficulty shifting when it was cold out, but I imagine in warmer temps, the non detergent SAE 40 would work too. It may not sound as ideal as some other fluids, but it is what Spicer spec'ed for their tranny and such and it is bronze safe. Only downside is the tranny and transfer case will get quite a bit warmer on long drives especially at the top end of RPMs. The t-case lever is usually my indicator how warm the t-case is getting and it will be hot like a cup of coffee cruising at 60mph or above, 55mph and below, it's pretty warm but not hot 🤷
Nice to know. Back in the day, we used 80/90 in all the gearboxes on Deuces, 5-Tons, the Internationals, GMC's, Dodges and to be completely honest - anything else that we had that needed gear oil. I'm sure that was a plan to simplify the lube orders. Three oils covered everything that way.

Thinking back, I can remember that the T-Case handle was a way to "feel the temperature" on a long ride to somewhere. One of our jobs was a local and our internal trucking folks were slammed. We drove about a hundred vehicles from Charlotte to Albemarle (NC) to get a job started. Hand to the transfer case handle every now and again was a nice way to "keep an eye on things".

banditt1979

Happy New Year to all! Been too busy to do much on the truck but I squeaked in a couple hours over last week to get 3 of my newly mounted wheels in the bed using my engine hoist, got the 4th mounted in the spare location, replaced 2 battery terminals and got a battery equalizer to install. Fired right up in 34 degree weather just like always. Also mounted a license plate.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks