• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New to me deuce

ktm380

Hi all, Just last week I got a 68' M35a2 and I love it!! I have been doing alot of searching in the last week so I don't ask all the same things but Here's one I can't find. My seat seems to go flat (all the way down) when I hit hard bumps, I move the crank all the up and it still happens. Is the shock bad?

By the way my local DMV gave me some hassle about the deuce, they charged me by the pound, around $1200 for five years.

Thanks so much for your help, this site is great!

Dieselsmoke

Welcome to the site. Yep, that's what they were gonna charge me when I lived out there, but being so close to Ft Cartoon I didn't bother putting plates on it. Seems odd for the seat to go flat. The shock doesn't support the seat, just the spring.

Wyattearp

charge by the pound, WOW!!!
Talked to the dmv here, the first 10,000lbs of tag weight cost $ 37.50 and goes up with additional weight to cover truck, payload, and trailer.
Im guessing 55,000lbs tags are in order when i get the paperwork finished.

fredrader

Wyattearp said:
charge by the pound, WOW!!!
Talked to the dmv here, the first 10,000lbs of tag weight cost $ 37.50 and goes up with additional weight to cover truck, payload, and trailer.
Im guessing 55,000lbs tags are in order when i get the paperwork finished.
If you tag it 26,000 you won't need a CDL to drive it..

rdixiemiller

When you say you have the crank all the way up, do you mean you have turned it clockwise until it tightens all the way up? I weigh about 245#, and I keep my seat tightened about 3/4 of the way through its travel. I like mine to sink about 1" when I sit down in the seat.

ktm380

Yes, clockwise. I'm about 210 lbs. and it also sinks when I sit down but a good hard bump and I'm on the floor, makes me look like a small boy.

Thought about not going with plates, with two cop's living by me and the looks they have giving me I thought it would be money well spent.

TiredIron

Welcome to the area,
I've got a Deuce upstream (Cotopaxi)....and another down stream from you (Douglas County). I did the No-plates routine for about 4-5 years and got caught this spring. The tow with a semi wrecker....impound fee...court fine and fees....New plates....and a years insurance
totalled $1225.00.....ouch. I'm cutting the rear axle off the second one doin' the 4X4 conversion just so they can't nail me with the over #15000 GVW horse shit. I want a 51 M38
pretty bad.......know anybody??? You north ...or south of US 50?
TiredIron

ktm380

TiredIron,

I'm south in yuppy land :rolleyes: looking to move to the north side.

More M-38's? I wish I could find more.

Highway patrol get you and where did they get you?

TiredIron

M-38
I was driving through Conifer on C-285 when this 22 year old Jefferson County Deputy pulls me over. I was on my was to the "Operation Blizzard" weekend for the "Tenth Mountain Division" at Camp Hale near Leadville. He grins and says....."well I didn't see any plates.... no military markings of any kind....couple of Biker looking types in camos....so I pulled you over. We were in the Camo Green 83 unit....looks new....new rear cover....fresh paint. He actually spent 30 minutes talking to Ft. Carson and Buckley to see if they were missing a Truck....thought we might have stole it. He was so green and wet behind the ears..... I should have handed him a towl. But he had us....we were caught...we were wrong. After doing this for the last five years....I figure money wise I was still ahead.....but It was imbarrassing.....and you feel like a criminal on the side of the road.

Word to the wise....if your going to fly with no plates....put the correct markings on your rig from your local bases or National Guard Unit......shave...look the part. It was an expensive
three day weekend. I'll have to hook up with you sometime.....I have a couple lots on the far north side just into the Pinons....
Adios
TiredIron

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks