• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New to me HMMWV

shannondeese

I have just, well a month ago picked up an M998 non runner. It was rebuilt in 01. It’s got the 6.5 which I just changed the injection pump on. She runs really well now. Now for the questions.
The trans doesn’t seem to shift into 3rd. Where should I begin? She will do 55 but is screaming at me while doing it.
What seats are y’all using. This one has cheap amazon race seats in it
Thanks.

Attachments

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice rig.

Common question [EDIT re. seats]. U might be able to search.

Last edited:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
55 mph in second gear? Don't think that is possible. The poor 6.5 is approaching 3000 rpm in 3rd at 60.

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
They shift so fast...hard to notice.
Manual shift it and see what happens.

shannondeese

Thanks. That’s the plan for today. Manual shift it to see what happens. I also am going to do a little fuel pump timing. I have it too far advanced. I never thought I’d own a vehicle that gets worse fuel mileage than my deuces.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The transition from first to second is very smooth and hard to feel in such a noisy bouncy vehicle. The transition from second to third is more pronounced so it can be confused for the first gear change. Confirm gear changes by carefully power shifting 1-2 and 2-3. There is no good reverse lockout so be careful not to accidentally shift into reverse at speed.

shannondeese

So she is definitely shifting into 3rd. I back the timing off until the line on the block and the line on the injection pump are joined. She still runs well so I’m hoping she gets a little better than the 5 mpg I got on her first trip out.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks