• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New to me M1009 and full of issues

cptd

No big surprise that when I purchased my M1009 sight unseen (I am deployed, and my wife is in a different state than where the vehicle came from) it arrived a tthe house with what my wife lovingly called "character."

What that means is that it needs tires -- we knew this

When my wife drove it to get the new tires it died in the parking lot of the tire joint which is next door to the battery place, so she had them replace the batteries.

Then driving it home it made some horrible noise in the front end so she did a walk around and found that the driver's side front tire is clearly not in the proper place (see picture).

I haven't even seen this thing in person and I am concerned.

Can someone help id what this could be so I can give some direction to my wonderful wife who bought me this awesome truck only to be dismayed?

Thanks,

CPTD

Attachments

jeeplvr247

I am not sure what is wrong with the suspension but I can tell you that the CUCV's have a host of charging issues, most of which are relatively simple fixes, so it may not be the batteries that were bad.

cptd

Tires didn't get replaced, since there wasn't cash available to do both new batteries and new tires. Tires come next week.

K10A

The wheel bearings or the ball joints are about to fail spectacularly.

PARK IT!

as in dont move the darn thing or you could damage it further =more$$

try and get some up close pics of the front drivers side axle so we might have an idea of what could be wrong.

Skinny

Tough to tell, will need a closer picture. Sounds like you need some time with your CUCV until it ia ready for the road. I like to break things down into phases to keep the resurrection process going steady.

Phase 1 I like to call major surgery. This would include tearinf down that whole frontend and going through what it needs. Any major repairs need to be done at this point to make it safe.

Phase 2 is maintenance, changing fluids, rubber, etc. to get the scheduled items addressed.

Phase 3 is gravy, doing lift kits, radios, and other mods. Going out of order will usually leave you stranded or with a project that never gets completed/running.

mistaken1

Just remember that when it comes to vehicles there is nothing money cannot fix. :)

Whether or not one has enough money to fix everything is another issue altogether. :(

ctmustang

I would have to say wheel bearings. It'd be impossible for a ball joint to let the wheel lay in that negative unless it was completely separated. - Which it may be but would be near impossible to drive. Either way it definately needs some maintenance on it when you get home from deployment.
Take Care
CT

richingalveston

What part of Texas?

what part of texas, if it was close, i would give it an inspection and at least right you up a list so you would have a head start when you got home.

IdahoPlowboy

On both my 1009 and my 1028 I went clear thru both front ends and found many issues with bearings and seals. If I had not went clear thru them I would have had a lot of trouble.

CycleJay

CPTD,

Thank you for your service to our country, it is very much appreciated.

Do not worry about your truck, it can be fixed when you get back.

More importantly, I pray that you stay safe, so you CAN come back,
to your wife, and family, then be able to work on your truck.

The truck should be the least of your concerns right now.
It does not seem to be THAT bad off right now.

But like others here have said, park it, until it is repaired, to avoid bigger problems.

Good night, and God bless you,

cptd

All, thanks for the assistance.

HH= Harker Heights IVO Ft. Hood.

The biggest reason that I am concerned about this and getting it fixed is this is, or will be, my daily driver upon my return. So I can't wait to get it fixed because I will have to go to work within 24 hours of my return.

So.... I recognize that everyone says this will be a fairly easy fix and that it is not too expensive if done by the owner, how about if accomplished by a repair shop? Expense and difficulty? I have recieved some good recommendations for local shops, but I want to spend my money wisely on this as, there will undoubtably be other large potentially expensive issues just to get it in daily driver condition.

Thanks again for all of your help and prayers!

CPTD

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks