• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New to me M1009 w/pics

K9Vic

Just bought a 1984 Chevy M1009 that came out from Fort Hood from a local guy near the base. Was sitting for at least 5 years going by a tag on it showing Fort Hood 2004. I put two batteries in it and it started up in about 30 seconds holding down the peddle like a cold weather start. I was amazed that it did start, so that was the one I wanted and bought it. So I towed it home with the help of greg6459 using his M1028 and a tow bar the 150miles back to Fort Worth. I am going to fix it up and use it as a secondary driver. Overall it is in great shape and just missing a few cosmetic parts that I have already replaced. Needed a drive shaft as it was bent, but found a good one and drives well now. The interior is good and seats are still in good condition for sitting in a farm field for years. Tires I am going to replace as they have signs of dry rot and think they may also be dead spotted. So now I have a M1010, M1028 and M1009, but need to clean house so I posted the M1028 in classified.

Oh and thank you to John Colwell from www.vintagemilitarytrucks.com for all the help with this project and towing advise.

Attachments

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks good. Call me weird but I like the look of the faded 383 green color. Hey, is that towbar a little tweaked?

ryan77

Looks good i had a dent like that on my door to took the panel off inside and punched it, dent came right out.

K9Vic

Looks good. Call me weird but I like the look of the faded 383 green color. Hey, is that towbar a little tweaked?
Yeah the faded green does look good, makes it look well used.
Yes the tow bar is tweaked slightly, but does not cause harm or problems when towing.

Looks good i had a dent like that on my door to took the panel off inside and punched it, dent came right out.
Fixed that this morning, same process. I spent most of the morning cleaning it out and fixing all the issues with it. Then get the title and plates to do the final road test to see if any drive line parts need repair.

Added a few pictures, added all new plastic lenses and added an antenna bracket and base. Also shows the interior after it was cleaned, but still needs Armor All coating.

Attachments

K9Vic

Looks good. Hey does the M1028 leak a little oil? The front of the 1009 looks like it got splattered.
My M1028 is green/black/brown camouflage and does not have a shelter.
It was brake fluid and from my friends M1028 that is pictured. He checked it over and not sure where the leak was from, it could have been over fill or something as he did have to brake hard once on the trip.

I just finished the interior polishing, and replaced the door panels with blue ones I had. Steering wheel still needs work, probably may replace it as it pitted. Overall it looks allot better now and not looking like a junker sitting in a field for years as it first did. I think it needs glow plugs, as it takes a few seconds to start, even on a hot Texas summer day. So yet another run to the parts store for parts.

Attachments

K9Vic

Update on my M1009..

I have painted it camo green with rattle cans in the driveway and looks pretty good. Just like that shade of green better and the old CARC green was well faded. I may finish it with a complete camo paint adding the black and brown, but for now it will be green. Painted the wheels flat black as that looks better then green. I also added a few weeks ago new tires as the old ones all had flat spots and dry rotted from sitting for so long. Then new shocks, drag link, glow plugs and other misc parts.

Added a vintage Federal Signal AeroDynic lightbar, this is the older style from the 80s that would be year authentic to 1985. Pair of Whelen 900 strobes in aluminum housings. A Federal Signal PA300 and FS100 speaker for use with the electronic airhorn (Siren is disabled internally, can not be turned on). Then a SW400 switch box all in a Troy police console from a late model Tahoe. Not everything would be considered year authentic, but outside equipment could have been found on a mid-80s vehicle.

Still have work to do on it, repair the tailgate rust and driver side rocker. That will be a project and right now it is too hot to mess with body work.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks