• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New to me M35A3, suggestions needed

HDN

With the Dexron 3, the shifts are much smoother than with motor oil and less discernible.
I still run 15W-40 and probably will until it needs a rebuild. The shifts in my truck are pretty obvious, mostly sound-wise. I don't think it shifts much rougher than my 2012 Chrysler 200 with the motor oil in it :p

When I first got the truck I thought it had a 6-speed automatic. That's when I learned that heavy truck transmissions sound like they're shifting into another gear when the torque converter locks up.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did you get the tank, too? That would make the truck very useful as a fire rig for the camp/cottage/remote homestead or be a wanted item for some volunteer departments that have a truck with a 12 or better 14 ft bed. A Deuce is ok for two 600 USG tanks or a single, suitably baffled 1200 USG tank (10,000 lbs total). Not sure of the size of the tank you have on the truck in that picture. I like that they did not put one of those crazy high square tanks on it that raises the CoG to "blink-and-roll-over".

Falconair07

The truck came from the volunteer department that I am on. It hadn’t been used for years, and after the flood they wanted nothing to do with it. So I got it, with the tank, and hose reel, and (broken) water pump. The tank isn’t baffled, and I’m not sure on its capacity. I’m going to lift it out and clean the bed up; I’m sure it will have markings on it that I’ll be able to see.

Falconair07

Did you get the tank, too? That would make the truck very useful as a fire rig for the camp/cottage/remote homestead or be a wanted item for some volunteer departments that have a truck with a 12 or better 14 ft bed. A Deuce is ok for two 600 USG tanks or a single, suitably baffled 1200 USG tank (10,000 lbs total). Not sure of the size of the tank you have on the truck in that picture. I like that they did not put one of those crazy high square tanks on it that raises the CoG to "blink-and-roll-over".
Sorry didn’t hit reply but responded above. It will be handy on my acreage where there are no hydrants for miles. A lot of our county is rural and we truck water into fires with tankers.

Attachments

ToddJK

Might not be a bad investment to find a M105 trailer for the deuce so you can transport things if need be, or remove the tank from the truck and get a water buffalo.

Any plans to fix that pump so everything is functional? I know there is a deuce firetruck in the classifieds. Might be parted out not sure, but can't hurt to ask if you head in that direction.

Falconair07

I’m loving the truck! Still working on it, but since it’s Iowa winter and I’ve been busy flying it has been put in the barn for hibernation. Need to work on cleaning the cab, the heater, and some grounds/gauges. Also doing some fiberglass work on the hard top I have and will probably swap the soft top out. I have a canvas for the back but need to source some bows for it.

Attachments

Falconair07

Is your truck still running and driving ok?
Did you get a lottery ticket yet?
The truck is still doing good! Halloween was our last outing with it though. I tucked it in my barn for the winter; I just don't want to work in those cold temperatures. I did crank it up one freezing day, just to see if it would start, and no problem. But your question gave me motivation to hook up my battery charger today and get them ready so I can take it out again as the weather starts to warm up. I did buy a lotto ticket, but I only won $8! Darn.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This story should be sent to the truck manufacturer and Cat. We know it's not over with duration being the next test for the transmission and Cat engine.........but really, this was the lottery ticket. The truck is lucky it found you because....let's throw out a number......9 out of 10 landscapers didn't think it would ever work again! I gave up when I saw the barn picture so the pleasure I had when you went from......working on it.....to "took it for a little drive" was over the top.

SO satisfying seeing........."flooded truck saved and put in a parade". That sure does breed a lot of hope for the way many things are still manufactured.

Awesome story. May the Spring parade route be filled with red and on hot days, have active cooling mist sprayers along with the cannons to gently moisten the crowd.

Keep the pics coming, especially when the truck has some of that sweet Iowa landscape in the background.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks