• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New to me M37

poppop

Installed the new distributor cap today and she purrs like a kitten hitting on all six cylinders. drove it around for 45 minutes and it still felt bound up. Kept checking the brake drums and none never even got warm. Tire tracks looked like they were scuffing and since the front tires are a lot bigger than the rear I kept shifting the transfer case to no avail. She finally ran hot and I limped back home cooling the radiator with ditch water. Got the operaters manual out again, I had already read it from cover to cover, And checked on the operation of the transfer case. I had missed the de-clutching lever. I had tried to move it but it seemed stuck. Well, maybe it is in a bind because of the different tire sizes. So I tried backing up slowly while pushing on the lever. It seemed to move some but still bound up. I rocked it back and forth and applied more force and it finally moved. She rolls free as a ball now and I drove it another 45 minutes and never overheated. It was the strain it was in that made it overheat. Now it will chug alone in third gear at idle speed and will even run in fourth. I did not drive it fast because it has no brakes and I stayed on my farm roads

It also was very hard to steer and got to where it was real hard to turn left. It was much better with the front axle dis-engaged but it still has a hard spot going left. When i finish the disassembly I will have to check the steering gear to see if it needs work. I am satisfied now that all the drive train and engine are fine so will continue with the disassembly. I alread have the hood, doors, windshield, cab top support frame and lights removed.

Squirt-Truck

Master Chief
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Poppop, you know that Little Truck will require that you bring the new 37 to the rally, that way with Zout's 43 we can have our own little truck convoy......

Please let us know if we can help. Between the wonders of CAMO and Zouts magic wand, most anything is possible.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Poppop, you know that Little Truck will require that you bring the new 37 to the rally, that way with Zout's 43 we can have our own little truck convoy......

Please let us know if we can help. Between the wonders of CAMO and Zouts magic wand, most anything is possible.
Ummm...CAMO (well I) forgot to send poppop the distributor cap he asked for!:oops::oops::oops:

Maybe he'll give me another shot on sumpin else.:cry:

Squirt-Truck

Master Chief
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I dunna know about that...new parts can bring bad habits to the old girls, kinda make them wanna have bunches of new parts. Be real careful there.

Besides, we all know that things get better with time...

citizensoldier

Hey Poppop.. If you can, get all 4 tires the same size as soon as you can. That is putting allot of strain and that old drivetrain. I would hate to see you brake a axle shaft . With no lockout hubs on the front it sounds like your binding up the T case.. What a nice straight solid looking truck!!:beer:2cents

poppop

Squirttruck, The new cap did not fit well, it had to be massaged on a die grinder to get it to work. I think she will be happy with old parts.

Lane, the other two tires came with the truck. When it is finished they will all be the same size.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks