• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New to me M54A2, and a few ?'s

RecMech

Greetings.. Just picked up an M54A2 and have some ?'s..

1. Trying to find vin/ frame number and have searched for proper location (behind steering box). As shown in pic, I think I am in the right area, but cannot find any numbers.

2. Same area on frame shows a large bracket was removed.. I hope it wasn't important!!

3rd and last.. How do I determine the year of mfg?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to Steelsoldiers. Keep looking around the handle area for the vin, it may be stamped lightly. The missing bracket means you have the steering upgrade. There was a large casting bolted there before. The number on your main data plate looks to be the VIN, more or less. I believe the "51" is the lot number, the "59" is the chassis type, and the rest in the sequential build number for that lot. I don't know when lot 51 was built, but I know lot 54 was built starting in 1965, and 51 would have come before that. This number system is only for Kaiser Jeep. I could be dead wrong about this decode if your truck is a rebuilt gas powered truck, as the VIN is somewhat too long for Kaiser Jeep. International and others built gas trucks starting in 1950. The multifuels came along in the early 1960's. Give the VIN you have to CARNAC's 2014 VIN decode thread and cross your fingers.

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to Steelsoldiers. Keep looking around the handle area for the vin, it may be stamped lightly. The missing bracket means you have the steering upgrade. There was a large casting bolted there before. The number on your main data plate looks to be the VIN, more or less. I believe the "51" is the lot number, the "59" is the chassis type, and the rest in the sequential build number for that lot. I don't know when lot 51 was built, but I know lot 54 was built starting in 1965, and 51 would have come before that. This number system is only for Kaiser Jeep. I could be dead wrong about this decode if your truck is a rebuilt gas powered truck, as the VIN is somewhat too long for Kaiser Jeep. International and others built gas trucks starting in 1950. The multifuels came along in the early 1960's. Give the VIN you have to CARNAC's 2014 VIN decode thread and cross your fingers.
My 1962 5 ton International M51 Continental gasser has a 4 digit serial number.

vtdeucedriver

sent you a PM
Good looking truck. I'm envious of the later power steering. I have that in my M-62 and its wonderful!!!

TacticalTruck

Come on Jeff, you know new style steering is not correct for Vietnam....:p

Amazing to think that truck could have been in service for 50 years.

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a VIN with nine numbers, first four, than a space, than 5 more. Starts with 5123 but its mentioned as a 1973 Kaiser Jeep. However, the engine may be from 1965 and was overhauled in 1973, so the entire truck maybe is a lot older than I think. Unless they put an old engine in a new truck (not very likely) or f***ed the first engine within a few months and replaced it with a rebuilt.

My truck did not have a VIN on its frame, the Dutch DoT put it there still using the old numbers.

RecMech

Got some info from CARNAC:

Organization: HHD, 867TH QUARTERMASTER BATTALION
Nomenclature:TRUCK CARGO 5-TON Model:M54
NSN:2320008358348
Serial Number:674
Registration Number:5159866
Year of Mfg:1952
Manufacturer:31007
Info Dec 1981

So I have a 1952 IH M54 that was re-powered and tagged A2 at some point? Not what I expected, but interesting.
Any way to tell the engine year based on data plate?

Attachments

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How cool is that. So the 5159866 is the Army registration number that would have been painted on the hood. And the VIN is 674. Glad to learn something new.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks