• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New to me m59 dump truck...

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
We filled the cylinders yesterday, but no hill to park it on.:D It's locked up pretty solid right now, looks alright under the valve cover though. We lifted the bed up today to take a better look underneath. Not too bad, the lift cylinder isn't hooked up right now. The driveshaft from the PTO to the hoist pump is also missing, I guess there's a chance the previous owner might have it as he removed the PTO to run the winch on his m35.
IMG_3220.jpgIMG_3219.jpgIMG_3221.jpg

Last edited:

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
Got the dump truck engine running today! Well, not the one in the truck but the one in the donor truck.:x Looks like the m59 might end up as an "m59a2". My father won this 1967 m35a2 w/w at auction, it showed up last night and it's a little rough. It's had some really terrible wiring work done by the FD, nothing electrical works except a gauge or two. It did start right up with a pull from a deuce so that's nice, it's an LDT with a whistler turbo and an air shift transfer case.
IMG_3231.jpgIMG_3229.jpg

Last edited:

Jakelc15

Looks like you have enough there to make a nice truck! Good save. Are you planning to get this going before winter sets in? I'd still try to get the Gasser rolling over.

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
Looks like you have enough there to make a nice truck! Good save. Are you planning to get this going before winter sets in? I'd still try to get the Gasser rolling over.
Yep, this will give me a lot of the small parts that the dump truck is missing such as the front driveshaft, a few winch pieces, maybe a usable hard top too. My goal before the snow flies is to get the donor truck all apart while leaving the dump truck together. I'll keep looking at the gasser engine and try to free it up, but I'm not too optimistic since it's been sitting so long and was originally parked due to engine problems. Once the donor truck is all apart I'll focus on some other projects that need to get done and probably wait until next year for most of the dump truck work.

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
Really cool truck. Excellent to see this being saved. Are you working on a complete series of all the deuce variations?
I wish I could afford all the variations! This dump truck is just too cool to pass up, it's nice that it's one of the more useful variants too. I'd hate to have seen it cut up, which I guess was a possibility if no one picked it up. I got it for a good price, hopefully I'll be able to get the hard to find parts it needs without spending a fortune.:)

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
I said I'd wait on removing the 331, but after looking at how easy it'd be we took a few hours this afternoon to pull the fenders and then the motor/transmission. Much easier to remove than the multifuel.
IMG_3252.jpgIMG_3254.jpgIMG_3256.jpg

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
Got the front crossmember and passenger side rear engine mount cut out. We also dropped the transfer case out of the truck today. While it's easy we'll change around the front brake line (which is mangled anyway), as well as the fuel/air lines. The cab was changed at some point in the past to one from a multifuel truck so we'll probably just leave that on the frame.
IMG_3260.jpgIMG_3261.jpgIMG_3259.jpg

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
Are those mirrors extra wide like a bridge truck or just a homemade job?
They're bridge truck/10 ton style mirrors. It was pretty common to see them on trucks that originally came without west coast mirrors. I might just shorten them up and keep them if I don't change it over to the standard m35a2 west coast mirror arms.

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
We've got all the LDT specific lines run, and we changed the front brake line as well. Since the temperature was in the high 50s today we shot a little paint on the firewall, nothing special but worth doing while the engine is out. We also removed the front wire harness. It was in great shape, definitely changed out for an NOS one not too long ago but I think I've got an NOS multifuel harness with Packard connectors that I might as well use. I'm hoping to have the air shift transfer case installed tomorrow.
IMG_3277.jpgIMG_3278.jpg

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
It looks so pleasant to work on with all the sheet metal out of the way!!
It is nice, should make it easy to change the primary filter as well as the front axle to frame brake line, both of which are kind of a pain with the fenders on. I've already got a decent multifuel fender for the driver's side, just need to find a passenger side. I really don't want to have to do any work with those gasser fenders on so I'll set those aside.

We set the engine in today with the pipeline truck, we used a tow bar on the back of the dump truck to roll it forward - a little more precise than trying to go back and forth with winching and driving the m756.
IMG_3282.jpgIMG_3283.jpgIMG_3284.jpgIMG_3285.jpg

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Much along the same route as I did with my M108. I too, used a single towbar leg to move the M108 back and forth. Question, what are your plans for fuel delivery? On my M108 is was easy, swap tanks. The drivers side tanks aren't as easy a find.

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
Much along the same route as I did with my M108. I too, used a single towbar leg to move the M108 back and forth. Question, what are your plans for fuel delivery? On my M108 is was easy, swap tanks. The drivers side tanks aren't as easy a find.
I've been reviewing your m108 thread quite a bit as I was thinking about the engine swap. Right now I've run both the fuel and air compressor lines from the multifuel down the frame in the typical routes for an m35a2 and ending up behind the rear crossmember for the transfer case (which is nice and clear of obstructions on the m59). If I can't find an m275a2 fuel tank I plan on running one of the inline airtex fuel pumps and adapting the tank to make it work. If I can find the new tank I'll have to route the lines a little differently to get them to the pump since I believe it's under the cab.

The tank on the truck now is holding fuel but I'm not too sure the condition inside. It's been sitting half full of gas for who knows how long.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks