• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New to me m923a2 jack & jack stand recommendations?

rm7952

Hey all, first post.

Bought a M923a2 on a whim from a local seller, seems to be in great shape except the wheels. I'd also like to inspect / repair the brakes while I have it up. I'm looking for some good options for getting it in the air.

I'm leaning toward the HF Pittsburgh Auto 22 ton Air/Hydraulic Floor Jack (bottle jack on wheels) & the HF 22T Daytona jackstands. I think I'll probably have to block both of these though, I'd like to find an option that didn't require blocking. I'd also really like something other/safer than a bottle jack, but maybe that is the way. I'll be lifting it on concrete.

My current TODO list:
- swap old 14r20 to 16r20s
- swap front wheels to HEMTT / run flats
- delete (or fix..) CTIS (working on 4 wheels/already deleted on 2?)
- inspect & potentially repair/replace brakes.

(I did try searching the forum first)
Appreciate any insight, thanks in advance.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
20 ton air bottle jacks work fine. Lots of cribbing. Railroad ties work best. But 6x6s work, they just dont last.

Maybe a windshield cause it's not gonna have enough power to get out of its own way.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Hey all, first post.

Bought a M923a2 on a whim from a local seller, seems to be in great shape except the wheels. I'd also like to inspect / repair the brakes while I have it up. I'm looking for some good options for getting it in the air.

I'm leaning toward the HF Pittsburgh Auto 22 ton Air/Hydraulic Floor Jack (bottle jack on wheels) & the HF 22T Daytona jackstands. I think I'll probably have to block both of these though, I'd like to find an option that didn't require blocking. I'd also really like something other/safer than a bottle jack, but maybe that is the way. I'll be lifting it on concrete.

My current TODO list:
- swap old 14r20 to 16r20s
- swap front wheels to HEMTT / run flats
- delete (or fix..) CTIS (working on 4 wheels/already deleted on 2?)
- inspect & potentially repair/replace brakes.

(I did try searching the forum first)
Appreciate any insight, thanks in advance.
And use flat blocks of wood on your concrete to spread the weight. (cribbing)

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Is that a suggestion against the 16r20s / runflats or for tuning the motor? Or both?
1600s on hemtt wheels with rubber runflats are around 660lbs each. Vs maybe 405/415 with the current 1400s and combat wheels.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Would be nice to know what your intended purpose for the truck is? 395’s may be a better choice, kind of a derail but it’s your tread…

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For jackstands I use the 6 toners as they are the perfect height for 14.00’s but mind you my front end is right at capacity with the winch and all the other junk I have mounted on the front of my truck, and would be way over if I had to use them with a load on the rear. I like to have my tires just off the ground for ease of sliding them back on. 12 ton would be plenty of capacity but look a little tall but may work ok with 16’s. 22 ton looks a little short without cribbing but may be close with 395’s.

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think you should also get a wheel/tire jack , makes removing and installing that HEAVY tires much easier and safer , Harbor Freight has them , I got one of the CHICOM knock offs , works great . Save you back . Do you have equipment to move/pickup the tires and wheels once you get them off? A John Deere works great LOL !!! , just kidding . As was said the tire and wheel combo are heavy , just be careful , and BTW the brake drums are also heavy . That is all. Be safe , be well

rm7952

1600s on hemtt wheels with rubber runflats are around 660lbs each. Vs maybe 405/415 with the current 1400s and combat wheels.
Suggesting I skip the runflats? I worry about blowouts up front, but I'm probably being overly paranoid.

I'd keep to the 14r20s if decent stock was available. I really don't want to go smaller, 16r20 seems pretty much my only option.

The truck is a just for fun truck that won't be seeing much mileage or heavy use and will be in a garage probably > 95% of the time.

Appreciate the replies.

rm7952

I think you should also get a wheel/tire jack , makes removing and installing that HEAVY tires much easier and safer , Harbor Freight has them , I got one of the CHICOM knock offs , works great . Save you back . Do you have equipment to move/pickup the tires and wheels once you get them off? A John Deere works great LOL !!! , just kidding . As was said the tire and wheel combo are heavy , just be careful , and BTW the brake drums are also heavy . That is all. Be safe , be well

I have a pallet jack, a loader and a shop crane. I think I'll be ok with moving them around with those. I do need to get a large pry bar though.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I do not like to spread rumors but I would stay away from HF jackstands. They have had multiple recalls in the last few years and I know nothing negative of their product currently but I would purchase another brand for piece of mind. I know they have updated their brands and quality. Their jacks I use and have used their air over hydraulic and have no issues.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I do not like to spread rumors but I would stay away from HF jackstands. They have had multiple recalls in the last few years and I know nothing negative of their product currently but I would purchase another brand for piece of mind. I know they have updated their brands and quality. Their jacks I use and have used their air over hydraulic and have no issues.
If you want more information, search (even with our crummy search engine) harbor freight recall

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had HF jackstands, and swapped all 6 wheels/tires with the truck on their jackstands. Then they recalled them.

Never again. I'll never use HF for a critical safety device.

I've got 6ton jackstands from Tractor Supply currently. They have an additional safety pin.

I use a 20ton bottle jack. It's beyond overkill, but margin is good to have.

Attachments

ToddJK

I would suggest to invest in a different brand for jack stands, just to be on the safe side. RR ties do work great as well as 6x6's as a counter safety and to crib your stands/jack on the concrete. The HF jacks work fine, I have two and they have lasted me years, even the 2.5 ton jack will lift a wheel on my deuce, it's hard but it'll do it, however, a proper weight capacity bottle jack is usually what most go too since I don't see normal jacks over 5 tons and if you do, it's a lot more than a bottle jack that has a higher weight capacity.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks