• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New to Me M998

So I decided to try my hand at my first MV. I did serve and yet I did not fly or ride in a military owned vehicle during my enlistment. Well, I got a hankering, had some cash, spent some time on SteelSoldiers and the like decided to try my luck at GovPlanet.

I ended up with a 1993 M998, spending a few more thousand than hoping, that took place in August and I was able to take delivery this week.

IMG_2826.JPGHMMWV Picture.jpgIMG_2902.jpgIMG_2901.jpgIMG_2898.jpgIMG_2897.jpg

Progressively, the first two are from GP auction, the second two are from the transporter, and the last two were taking this morning in Western ID hanging with the wife and our three year old- who grins from ear to ear in this thing!

This morning, him nor I could sleep past 430 so we ate and headed out after a few episodes of RoadKill and set off for me to see this Humvee for the first time, as I was out of town for work this week and came in too late last night.

I arrived, hooked up the batteries, flipped the switch a couple times and waited for the light to go out and cranked and cranked and cranked....cold, diesel. I have had many diesels and boy do I know their struggle with the cold. So I went with the blow dryer in the air intake. Started up well and spent the rest of the day in it. Only pulled over once in town from a local PD and he gave me the fifth degree. Then I had a local Sheriff deputy come by and do the Vin inspection and he was ecstatic to do it. I serve the SO as a reserve deputy and we both decided it would be a great addition to our SAR team. Ha.

Things that I have to fix or troubleshoot:

Glow plugs
Wiper motor inop
doors are all shot
roof is pretty shot
change oil

Questions: I wonder if it was a comm truck?
What identifier is US ARMY NG46F8?

Want to upgrade:
front High back seats
Paint job- single color semi gloss forest green.
Keyed ignition
Keyed batt cut

That is about it for now. Enjoyed it thus far. Gave it a good cleaning and will have to do it again. Anywho, thanks for reading. see ya around!

Edited for more pictures 11/24/16

Attachments

Last edited:

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Very Nice! I had not seen the rear antenna tower in that configuration facing back. I have seen them on the back on both sides with the top piece turned right and left. Definitely had a radio or two as that other tall tower mid bed is also an antenna mount.

Nice score!

Action

why did you flip the switch a couple times before you tried to start it?

you turn to RUN, wait for the light to go out, then START.

Very Nice! I had not seen the rear antenna tower in that configuration facing back. I have seen them on the back on both sides with the top piece turned right and left. Definitely had a radio or two as that other tall tower mid bed is also an antenna mount. Nice score!
Thanks Juan! Not only are there those two antenna mounts, on the drivers side, there is a large plate on the wheel box that had more wires running to it a and a place to bolt down something larger. Interesting set up.

Nice machine.....where did it come from.....
This particular one came from Utah.

why did you flip the switch a couple times before you tried to start it?

you turn to RUN, wait for the light to go out, then START.
Thank you action for the clarification on using the switch. Why did I do what I did? Because this is not my first diesel, nor the coldest I have been with one, and my simple mind understands that glow plugs are preheaters more than anything. I had a suspicion that they were not going to be good, or all good, because of the story of the truck when it was unloaded when I was still at work. When the truck was warmed up, all day I could do what you instructed and it worked great. I am afraid that when I go back, I will bringing the hair dryer again to start it. Interesting that you focused on that comment out of all then information given.

You better check all fluids. Mine,(and many others),came with no oil in the transfer and both differentials.
Hey Dave!

So I did check all the basics and climbed under. What was cool about this one is that the motor-pool that took care of it, marked dates on each piece of the drive-line of when it was serviced last. Most was done relatively recent. I will be going through it again. It does look like there is some caked on dirt in a couple seeping areas like the rear transfer-case seal, at least two hub seals as the inner boots are wet, etc. I will probably start to conquer one at a time in the future.

TNriverjet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Very nice rig! I thought of starting with a M998, but ended up with a M1078 instead. I'm like you and enjoy the truck with my family. Welcome aboard!

Stevepsc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the green addiction. That is an awesome truck. If you want to part with any of those antenna mounts, please pm me! I have stuff to trade and good old cash.

Stevepsc

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Look up the Harris VHF or UHF radios. There was one that had a much different setup than the SINCGARS and I've had parts mounted on the wheel wells before.

Also had a highback with 3 VRC-92F sets in the back. BDE S-6 had rigged it as a backup/spare C2 truck.

Look up the Harris VHF or UHF radios. There was one that had a much different setup than the SINCGARS and I've had parts mounted on the wheel wells before.

Also had a highback with 3 VRC-92F sets in the back. BDE S-6 had rigged it as a backup/spare C2 truck.
Hey Bikeman, Those are some awesome radios! That would be nuts to have all that equipment in this UT.

Question, I am needing doors and a top. The top is weathered and cracked and the door windows are all pushed through. I like the look of the hard doors. Yet the prices are up there. When a person puts that kind of cash into this, is it an expenditure or more of an investment? I know, buy what I want, so that is not really the answer I am looking for. More of a consensus on the increasing value or just for personal preference.

jake-cutter

Question, I am needing doors and a top. The top is weathered and cracked and the door windows are all pushed through. I like the look of the hard doors. Yet the prices are up there. When a person puts that kind of cash into this, is it an expenditure or more of an investment? I know, buy what I want, so that is not really the answer I am looking for. More of a consensus on the increasing value or just for personal preference.
I look at it as more of an investment. When my soft top fell apart, I started looking at hardtops and slantback kits or doing a GMV. I did not want to sink money into another soft top that would have to be replaced in several years and went with the one time investment of a slantback kit that adds value and they aren't making them anymore. Plus it gives me more options.

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey Bikeman, Those are some awesome radios! That would be nuts to have all that equipment in this UT.
It's a bit crazy the amount of stuff I've seen crammed into command HMMWVs. Especially when we got the M1165s, (Armored 4-door) we had radios and **** crammed everywhere for the senior guys.

Side story: when I was in Iraq, our job included categorization, inventory, some de-install, of systems in vehicles. Upon analysis of the mission and the vehicles, we determined you could have up to 27 separate systems within one MRAP: Radios, BFT, CROWS, C-IED, Thermal, etc... by the end, our guys were pretty good at doing fast inventories, but at the beginning, it took quite a while to get everything recorded.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There was a picture on the web that I can not find of a box enclosed on 3 sides that sits on that radio mount on the wheel well that had a shelf in the middle that held multiple radios.

368TH MILITARY INTELLIGENCE BATTALION CI COMPANY C (WZP2C0)
CP PARKS
CALIFORNIA
Last Mileage 14053

Thanks to Bikeman, I was able to learn about my truck and know the mileage is actually recorded! Pretty cool. I was wondering why it had all the comm stuff. It was an Intel truck:). It also has a C on the front so that makes sense with either company C or Comm truck. I want to get a vinyl decal made of the unit patch and put it on the front fenders.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks