• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New to Me M998

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
368TH MILITARY INTELLIGENCE BATTALION CI COMPANY C (WZP2C0)
CP PARKS
CALIFORNIA
Last Mileage 14053

Thanks to Bikeman, I was able to learn about my truck and know the mileage is actually recorded! Pretty cool. I was wondering why it had all the comm stuff. It was an Intel truck:). It also has a C on the front so that makes sense with either company C or Comm truck. I want to get a vinyl decal made of the unit patch and put it on the front fenders.

Camp park "reserve forces training area" RFTA....know it well! Did a phase of my BNOC there. Used to qualify there, fly in and out on the UH-1H...it's now surrounded by all kinds of million dollar housing projects.
its a 30min Drive from the house for me.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That contraption was in a truck i just got form GP, it was from a field artillery unit 2/218 FA. It left about 12 holes on the fender top.

So I did some work on my MV yesterday:

Installed 5 out of 8 glow plugs. 3 are swollen and need help getting out.

Installed the grounding harness. Funny thing, I would shift into drive, and if the fan was on, it would short and go in and out. Now it does not. Awesome!

Installed Those Military Guys keyed ignition. Pretty easy and straight forward.

Checked diffs and the fluid is full and pretty clean. Already bought gear oil so I will change at some point.

Needs a coolant flush. Any ideas of where to get upper and lower rad hoses?

teteacher101

So I did some work on my MV yesterday:

Installed 5 out of 8 glow plugs. 3 are swollen and need help getting out.

Installed the grounding harness. Funny thing, I would shift into drive, and if the fan was on, it would short and go in and out. Now it does not. Awesome!

Installed Those Military Guys keyed ignition. Pretty easy and straight forward.

Checked diffs and the fluid is full and pretty clean. Already bought gear oil so I will change at some point.

Needs a coolant flush. Any ideas of where to get upper and lower rad hoses?
I got my hoses from Kascar and installed a lower radiator hose heater since I was in there anyway.

I also noticed that my engine temp goes up to about 210 and then the fan kicks on an drops to 200 or just below and then heats up and then fan kicks on. I read as long it is below 240 we are good...right? When I do a coolant flush at some point, I will prolly change the thermostat with the rest of the hoses etc.

Funny story....my 3 year old loves the Humvee. He wanted to go for a ride in the "Humbee" and so we did. He giggles and laughs the whole time! Anyways, I went to start it and a noise startled me when I turned the key to the on position- windshield wipers moving on dry windshield! Awesome news as they have not worked since getting the Humbee. Now they work with the switch, on command. The sprayer still does not, yet one step closer!

So I installed the glow plugs I ordered from Kascar. I put them in, they worked a couple times, and then all of a sudden it was hard to start again. I checked them, and even had to use the tool to pull a couple of them. I found all of them swollen. Prior to install, I did not have any issues with the wait to start light, and I installed the kascar grounding harness. The wait to start light still comes on for the normal 7 seconds and no issue. I have the Nartron Smart Start with white label which I believe uses the GP controller on the back of the block on the pass side- at least there is a sensor in the block that looks as such.

Thanks for any advise on the subject.

Last edited:

Wire Fox

So I installed the injectors I ordered from Kascar. I put them in, they worked a couple times, and then all of a sudden it was hard to start again. I checked them, and even had to use the tool to pull a couple of them. I found all of them swollen. Prior to install, I did not have any issues with the wait to start light, and I installed the kascar grounding harness. The wait to start light still comes on for the normal 7 seconds and no issue. I have the Nartron Smart Start with white label which I believe uses the GP controller on the back of the block on the pass side- at least there is a sensor in the block that looks as such.

Thanks for any advise on the subject.
I'm assuming you're meaning glow plugs, not injectors... Are you using the yellow band temperature sending unit with your starting box?

I feel like a newb. Yes, I mean Glow plugs. I did not pay attention to what I typed. I looked at the sensor on the rear of the motor just for second when I was pulling the plugs back out and it had all the dirt and grime on it. I did not see any yellow band, but if it is there, I would have to wipe it clean to see it.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just so we are clear on TSU's, Not all TSU's have a yellow band on them, the KDS's do.
i have about 20 TSU's from Nartron that have the correct part number but no band on them.
the key to determining what you have is the part number on the old unit in you water crossover.
the old glow plug controller used with the old garbage PCB says on the Unit "glow plug controller".
The new TSU's for the EESS say "temperature sending unit", and may or may not have a yellow band.

So I do have the Nartron Smart Start System with white label and all my glow plugs have been detonated. My educated guess, and as RWH stated, my box may be bad. What would be the best way to test the box? Should the glow plug lead read 24 volts at the run position? I was trying to get a reading there and it did not make sense/read.

Best place to purchase a replacement box/which type to get?

Thank you!

Gear Report

So I do have the Nartron Smart Start System with white label and all my glow plugs have been detonated. My educated guess, and as RWH stated, my box may be bad. What would be the best way to test the box? Should the glow plug lead read 24 volts at the run position? I was trying to get a reading there and it did not make sense/read.

Thank you!
Did you ever confirm that you have the correct TSU?

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Thank you!
I got mine at Eriks, comes as a kit. Make sure you follow the directions completely, that come with it, Including testing your glowplugs before installation. Make sure you remove the neg. terminal from your battery before installation.

IMG_2988.jpgIMG_2963.jpg

So here is my smart start and my TSU. Any pointers on finding out if they are "paired". No yellow strip that I see. It does look newer than the box and has thread tape on it.

The numbers do appear to "match". Is that what it takes? Is there a way to test the TSU?

Updated picture link.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks