• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New to me mep-018a

combat32

I picked up this genny in a trade deal, so I don't have much in it.
I have been reading all the old threads here on the 18 and have learned a lot already.
Just one question for other 18 owners, for now. Looks like the Army was running 15/40 in it when last in service, is this a good choice for the 18?
I have always used straight 30wt in my mep-16a and my 16c.

Attachments

combat32

Ok thanks, that makes sense to me. I was still in the Army when they made the switch to 15/40 it replaced everything else we used to use.

Guyfang

Staff member
I would think you could use just about anything in this set. It was "robust". There were times in the early 70's when we could not get the oil we needed. Money problems, funding just wasn't given to the Army in Europe. Everything went to Nam. So if we had 10wt, in it went! Better then nothing. I spent many hours working on the MEP-018A's. We had a 24/7 mission, so we ran them till they died. Then start up the next one. Run it til it died. Hopefully had the first one repaired before the second on went dead. I learned a lot about "fixen things"! Good luck!

Guyfang

Staff member
Citizen,

It was used for radar systems. In the early 70's I was in a HAWK Air Defence Unit. Everything was 400 hertz. We had 4 of the beasts.

As a newbie, my boss asked me to hold on to the spark plug wire and then the rat turned the magneto over by hand. After I jumped out of my underwear, he told me, "NOW we know what plug is firing". Boy was I stupid.

DieselBob

Thanks. It was up for auction at the same time and base as the MEP-003. Won both at the same time so pickup was easy. I think I won it for around $500 ~ $600 if I remember correctly. I have a couple items I need to order from Saturn also. Good luck with yours.

combat32

Wow, big bummer. Just got off the phone with Saturn and he is out of fuel pumps for the 4a084 engine.

Isn't the fuel pump for a mule the same?

I also have a 24v facet military fuel pump like the ones on mep-002 and the mep -003 I wonder if this would work?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks