• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New to me MEP002A Few issues

Maddogg2.0

Hey guys, does the main breaker have to be on for the voltage gauge to preperly read? I changed the volt meter/ammeter selector switch over to 120/240 1 phase because that's where the master reconnect switch looks like it is, which is stuck btw lol, and I saw no voltage on the volt meter

Maddogg2.0

Sweet.... I got my trusty ol fluke meter out, and tested for voltage at the gauge, and sure enough, I was able to tune it from 200 up to 239. Looks like I have a bunk voltage gauge. Now, onto the courtesey outlet and the charging system.

Btw, I reconnected the loose wire that was hanging off od tb3 terminal 6 which according to the schematic, is the "field" winding and controls alternator and generator field, but the battery voltage didn't increase.

Rapracing

Should be all the way counter clockwise for 3 phase. There is normally a plate right above the switch that would show what the positions are. All the way clockwise is 120/240 single phase.

Maddogg2.0

See that's what's throwing me off, the switch looks like its all the way clockwise, but when I select 120/240 single phase, neither of the positions work. I need to loosen up my switch, clean it, and see where its really at, any tips on freeing a stuck one?

Rapracing

I have no idea. It is pretty stiff and snaps into place when you move it. I've never had that all apart and hope not to but I'd guess there is a pretty stiff spring that locks it into place when turned. I'm sure someone here has worked with it. When you are looking at the tech manual it is called the "Reconnection Switch". The tech manual trouble allows you to trouble shoot pretty much everything. I'd go there. You may have to replace the Reconnection Switch. That switch is accessed through the panel on the side of the AC control box assembly. There is a whole lot more there than just a simple switch. IMHO. Over my head at this point.

Maddogg2.0

Quick question lol again, on my unit the charging system is not charging the batteries, I found a section in the tm that talks about removing wires from terminal 5 and 6 on tb3 and hooking them to a battery in order to see if the vr is good. I'm confused because I saw a few threads where that test was described as testing the generators vr, as in the part that creates a/c voltage to the lugs, and not the battery charging system. I don't wanna do the test and ruin anything. When I got the generator, there were 2 wires on the top terminal on tb3 position 6 and the bottom of position 6 is missing the screw, and the wires sitting there right by the terminl, does this bottom wire need to be hooked up for normal operation? My schematic is terribly faded, but from what I can see, it looks like tb3 terminal 5 and 6 have to do with the battery charging system and not the main output system, but I could be wrong, so I figured id ask.

Sorry for the question bom bardment.
Andy

Last edited:

Maddogg2.0

Wow, thanks a ton jim!!

My main reconnect switch was stuck solid, like it wouldn't move at all. Jim recommended a product called "deoxit 5" from radioshack. It comes in a small black spray can, and its about 16 bux. I stuck the little straw on the can, set the spray selector to low, and sprayed the entire wafer/wire assembly inside the electrical panel front to back 2 times, allowing 5 minutes inbetween for it to penetrate, and then took a hammer, and tapped on the front side of the switch assembly at the front, where the spring/bearing assembly is, and the long bolts that run front to back to hold the assembly together,and attempted to turn it, and much to my amazement, it moved butter smoothe. I was totally suprised, what a good product it is, how well id cleaned everything, and it leaves no residue, but lubes all the contacts and moving parts.

Just thought id let you guys know if you have the same problem.
Andy

Last edited:

Ratch

I would also check the valve adjustment and engine timing as soon as I could. TM's explain the procedures. Not as hard as it first sounds when you read it. You asked about the courtesy outlet being disconnected-I had two 002's with the courtesy outlet also disconnected. Never found out why.
You are on the right path.
David
I read in an Army or USMC publication recently that the wiring for the convenience outlets on the MEP-802a was underrated at 10 amps instead of 15 and causing fires. The solution was to immediately disconnect it until all required wiring could be replaced.
I noticed on my 802 immediately that the wiring looked way undersized for the power rating of the outlet and GFCI.My GFCI was hosed, so I just bypassed it and replaced the outlet directly with a household GFCI outlet.

I'd bet the 002's and 003's had the same issue, or some units also disconnected those after a fire or two.

If you're reconnecting them, check the wiring and make sure it's rated right. I know household ratings are AWG-14 for 15 amp circuits, AWG-12 for 20 amp circuits, etc. Not sure if it's the same for the generator, but most of us are going to end up getting wire at Home Depot, so might as well go with that...

steelandcanvas

I read in an Army or USMC publication recently that the wiring for the convenience outlets on the MEP-802a was underrated at 10 amps instead of 15 and causing fires. The solution was to immediately disconnect it until all required wiring could be replaced.
I noticed on my 802 immediately that the wiring looked way undersized for the power rating of the outlet and GFCI.My GFCI was hosed, so I just bypassed it and replaced the outlet directly with a household GFCI outlet.

I'd bet the 002's and 003's had the same issue, or some units also disconnected those after a fire or two.

If you're reconnecting them, check the wiring and make sure it's rated right. I know household ratings are AWG-14 for 15 amp circuits, AWG-12 for 20 amp circuits, etc. Not sure if it's the same for the generator, but most of us are going to end up getting wire at Home Depot, so might as well go with that...
Maybe we should make this problem/repair a sticky? I've had my 003 for a few years now and never knew this and my recept is connected, but no idea yet if it's supplied with #14 or #12.

Maddogg2.0

You guys know where the wires for the outlet r supossed to be connected to? Everything in my electrical bay is hooked up and there r no loose wires now, but it still doesn't wanna work. I made sure the breaker was closed too lol.

Isaac-1

Check to make sure the little push to reset AC breaker is working, I had one that had to be cycled a few times to get the fron panel outlet to work.

Ike

Ratch

Maybe we should make this problem/repair a sticky? I've had my 003 for a few years now and never knew this and my recept is connected, but no idea yet if it's supplied with #14 or #12.
I'd be happy to link the documents I read if I could find them. I have a windows phone, and it's easily the worst browser I've ever used, I can't look in the history, and I somehow replaced the tab with something else.