• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New to me stake bed truck

101coolcars

Steel Soldiers Supporter
1988 C30 New to me stake bed truck

I have a few CUCV's and love them, I stumbled across this "gem" and had never heard about one before, it's a government truck, maybe Air Force? Does anybody know anything about them. I really like the commonality with this truck having the j code 6.2 like my military trucks.

Attachments

Last edited:

101coolcars

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks, I'm wondering what size the bed is and I need to find a driveshaft too, it's bent link a pretzel. It looks like it's just a 12v system. Won it on the dec 7th auction.

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks, I'm wondering what size the bed is and I need to find a driveshaft too, it's bent link a pretzel. It looks like it's just a 12v system. Won it on the dec 7th auction.
Looks like at least an 8' bed. Driveshaft should be a standard length for that wheelbase. I wouldn't expect anything but a 12 volt system. The "B" in the registration number indicates a standard commercial vehicle.
I have a 1994 Air Force Chevy C2500. One of the best maintained used vehicles I've ever owned.

101coolcars

Steel Soldiers Supporter
IMG_2365.JPGIMG_2369.JPGI call around some junk yards to find a driveshaft, thanks. My 1028 is lifted and I can't really tow with it so this truck will be handle to have for hauling and towing. I hope the bed is longer than 8 foot...

Last edited:

dougco1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
View attachment 657094View attachment 657095I call around some junk yards to find a driveshaft, thanks. My 1028 is lifted and I can't really tow with it so this truck will be handle to have for hauling and towing. I hope the bed is longer than 8 foot...
That truck has a long wheel base and the bed is a 12 footer. You can tell from the overhang past the rear wheels

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The driveshaft should have a carrier bearing. 84" cab to axle length. Super useful truck.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yep, I see the carrier bearing, maybe I'll just have a driveshaft made when the truck thrives.
Just take driveshaft to a drivetrain shop and have it retubed and balanced.
Easy.

New u-joints too
That way you know what you have.
Salvage you're just guessing

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You stole that truck at $900

$220-$250 for a newly rebuilt driveshaft, including Spicer U joints. (Around here anyway).

Your still money ahead.

Last edited:

2002ford

I drive mine a lot. I have put 10k miles on it. I have to replace my wiring harness do to a meltdown otherwise I would drive it everyday.

101coolcars

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well fees, and the shipping so I'll be like 2k, some reconditioning and then buffing the paint out I'll be lucky to be under 4K. I really like the truck though I can't wait to start playing with it. Maybe I'll paint it up in OD carc like a MV.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks