• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New to me WC-52

RiflemanD

Hey everyone, I am the new owner of a '42 WC52 and of course I have some questions. I was looking under the hood and noticed that the throttle return spring is attached to the oil can shelf. Now I am thinking that it is not supposed to be there, but I don't know where it is supposed to attach. Any help would be greatly appreciated. There is also another return spring in the same area that is attached under the firewall and to the floor board, again I don't think that is right, but I am lost as to where it should go. I just ordered a new throttle cable and switch form MWM and I would like to get that in working order. I will try to get some photos a little later to show exactly what I am talking about. I did look in the TM9-808 but I didn't see anything about the springs, maybe I missed it? Thanks in advance!!

Thunder in NWOR

...if you are talking about " Spring, retracting, engine carburetor foot throttle control", it attaches to the rod midway to the carb and back to a bolt (stud with hole in end for the spring) that comes through the sloping potion of the firewall/floorboard, positioned for reference just above the rear engine mount.
its marked "C" on page 170 of TM 9-808 and on page 65 of ORD 9 SNL G-502 (Ordance Supply Catalog).
I have seen that spring (usually something from truevalue) wired to a lot of places - but the oil can holder is a first for me!

RiflemanD

Here is what I was talking about, I don't believe the springs in question are for the gas pedal. I believe one to be for the throttle cable coming from the dash and the other one you can see going towards the firewall is the one that is mounted to the floorboard on the other end. These two I are the ones I don't know where they are supposed to go or how they are supposed to mount. I don't even know what they are really for. I get that they are return springs but, for what part of the engine?

IMG_20130822_133251_759.jpgIMG_20130822_133259_102.jpgIMG_20130822_133338_614.jpgIMG_20130822_133358_425.jpg00

Attachments

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am a WC51 owner and can tell you, the smaller spring is a tensioner spring and the large spring should be attached to a pan bolt on the upper most portion of the sloped area just below the firewall. The previous advice given is correct. I am over one year into my restoration and most of what you need to know is buried somewhere in the TM and the Ord 9 manuals.

RiflemanD

Tinwoodsman, I was just looking at your photos in your rebuild post to see where everything goes. Beautiful truck by the way. So if I understand what you're telling me, the spring that looks like its wound around the bar is supposed to be there, the larger spring attached at the front of said bar is actually supposed to be back a bit and attached at the little drop down through the hole, and the really small spring shouldn't be there at all. Is there supposed to be a cotter pin at the very front where the large spring is currently located? I still need to pick up the ORD9 book. Thanks for your help guys!

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is correct. The long spring around the rod is a tensioner spring. Some people put them in the front and some halfway back on the other side of the long spring. According to John Bizal at Midwest Military, it should be in the front. I have tried it both ways. I will wait until I get the cab floor bolt in with the hole for the spring and try it both ways and pick one based on the gas pedal response.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks