• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

new to mv world! What to look for in my first 5 ton.

moose

Hi there everyone, my name is Alex and this is my first post, but I have been researching and reading threads on this site for a while now. I am a Phoenix Fireman with decent mechanical aptitude and a history of restoring old cars. From the research that I have done, the 5ton cargo truck with the long bed would suit my needs the best. I want to run large super singles on the truck, winch, hardtop, and a custom box built on the back to use as a camper. I plan on using the truck for hauling, hunting, off-roading, camping in the desert (to ride dirtbikes), and the inevitable zombie invasion.

What should I look for, and what should I be aware of when looking for a truck in the next year? This topic may have been posted in the past, but I have not been able to find it, so here we go. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, and I thank you for your time. By the way, this looks like a good group of people.

6x6guy

Welcome to the site, you'll make a good addition to the already sick and demented people
here that suffer from the green affliction. :roll:

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome aboard, moose. Thank you for safety member service!

Start with a good gym membership or good supply of some righteous pain relievers...
:D

If you have the
money ($$$) and not the time...buy from an equipment dealer. If you lots of free time and love to tinker with all things mechanical, buy from GL.

Make sure you are well informed about your states licensing requirements (CDL??) as far driving large, heavy trucks are concerned. Also, check all local parking and commercial enforcement codes.

condor16

I'm not a current (or even potential) 5-ton owner, but I know the Army has used 5-tons with expanding shelters on the back (M934, and maybe other designations) as mobile CPs... a quick search on GL didn't show any currently available, but I'm sure some people here would know if they are ever released to public...

I've worked with them before, and they always seemed like they'd be a great camper or tailgate vehicle...

M-934 TRUCK, VAN, EXPANSIBLE: 5-TON, 6X6, XLWB

Attachments

MASIC

The best advice that I can give you is to look at a few and follow your gut and bring coverals. Look for the obvious like – mechanical condition:
1. Check the oil, the coolant and for leaks
2. Check the general condition of the electrical
3. You have all day to crawl around the thing and might be able to have a lengthy conversation with the current owner
4. Check the condition of the drive train for the obvious damage
5. Check all rubber items such as suspension parts and cabin seals
6. Look for the history of the truck
7. Ask why it’s being sold
8. Smell the fuel tank for old fuel – chances are good fuel smell good driver / old fuel smell good lawn ornament
9. Function test everything and start the engine
10. Take it for a test drive
Once you have observed the above and mentally noted! Ask yourself what are: you willing to over look, work on or can repair and absolutely hate! then weigh the odds and presto you made the right decision.

I personally check all of the above then I include the abuse factor! I look for damage cover-up! For example:
1. If the truck was used to crush cars look for paint touchup to the underbody, axle mounting “U” bolt threads are mashed, scared tires, underbody scrape marks, dents, bends, f’d up suspension travel stop rubbers, cracked spring leafs and so on
2. Bondo and spray paint
3. Hack job electrical installs or poor jumper installation
4. Listen to the sound of the engine
5. Open drain cocks and do a fluid sample in Gatorade / water bottles (you will need 3 – coolant, engine oil and diesel fuel)
Good luck with your search and if you have any questions get a hold of me and I will send you pic’s or help you with questions. I love my 5ton

moose

Wow! Thanks for the quick response from everybody. That is some good info, and I will definitly use it all. Masic, thanks for all the detail. I would not have thought to check the undercarriage for damage acquired from running over cars, got to say it's pretty cool that thats even a possibility! Anyways, thanks again everybody. I'm still saving up some funds, and should be ready to purchase in about 6 months at the longest, but the more I read the more I want to buy one now so I can start working on it. :-D

jollyroger

I can genuinely appreciate your enthusiasim.......Now. Take a deep breath.....Say it with me......OOOOOHHHMMMMM.......I love 5-ton trucks.......OOOOOOHHHHMMMM.......I have the OD fever......

OK now that we have our relaxation in place. What I would recomend is that if you want to have one truck and one truck only. Buy from a dealer or equipment place. You will spend on the order of $6,000 to $8,000 up for a good running truck with title ready to go depending on how it's equiped. Winch, without winch, heater, hard cab etc.

You can spend less on GL for a truck but. It will be a pig in a poke. Also you will likely have to travel to get the truck and drive it back or have it delivered. You will have to SF97 form the truck and then title it in your state. So what I'm sayin' is do you want a turn key truck or are you willing to take some risk with regard to condition, have the adventure of recovering the truck, have to do paperwork and pay 1/3 to 1/2 of retail? This is what I do but I am building a fleet so if I mess up and a truck ends up being no good then it becomes a parts truck, I lick my wounds and go shopping again.

Either way will be an adventure. Just look before you leap with GL. If you go "retail", not a good word for it but, find a good guy to deal with. In your area I would recomend 100dollarman to start with. I have had good luck with him and have done quite a bit of business with him.

100dollarman

I can genuinely appreciate your enthusiasim.......Now. Take a deep breath.....Say it with me......OOOOOHHHMMMMM.......I love 5-ton trucks.......OOOOOOHHHHMMMM.......I have the OD fever......

OK now that we have our relaxation in place. What I would recomend is that if you want to have one truck and one truck only. Buy from a dealer or equipment place. You will spend on the order of $6,000 to $8,000 up for a good running truck with title ready to go depending on how it's equiped. Winch, without winch, heater, hard cab etc.

You can spend less on GL for a truck but. It will be a pig in a poke. Also you will likely have to travel to get the truck and drive it back or have it delivered. You will have to SF97 form the truck and then title it in your state. So what I'm sayin' is do you want a turn key truck or are you willing to take some risk with regard to condition, have the adventure of recovering the truck, have to do paperwork and pay 1/3 to 1/2 of retail? This is what I do but I am building a fleet so if I mess up and a truck ends up being no good then it becomes a parts truck, I lick my wounds and go shopping again.

Either way will be an adventure. Just look before you leap with GL. If you go "retail", not a good word for it but, find a good guy to deal with. In your area I would recomend 100dollarman to start with. I have had good luck with him and have done quite a bit of business with him.

Thx for the recommendation JR-- I just happen to have 2 REALLY nice M818s in stock right now.:wink:

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm not a current (or even potential) 5-ton owner, but I know the Army has used 5-tons with expanding shelters on the back (M934, and maybe other designations) as mobile CPs... a quick search on GL didn't show any currently available, but I'm sure some people here would know if they are ever released to public...

I've worked with them before, and they always seemed like they'd be a great camper or tailgate vehicle...

M-934 TRUCK, VAN, EXPANSIBLE: 5-TON, 6X6, XLWB

Boy, I'd like one of those and the TTX 89ft. pig flat....

moose

Thanks again everyone for the input and good info. 100dollarman, I looked at your web site after you got a good review and recomendation from Jolly Roger. It looks like you have some nice stuff and I'm sure you could find something that would suit me. I have about 6 months until I'm in a position to buy one, but we will definitly be talking in the future. For now, I'm trying to scrounge up all the OT that I can get, so I will let you know when I'm ready. By the way, I will be riding dirtbikes in the Mojave, next to California City over Thanksgiving, it is my favorite place to ride. Is that close to your location? If so, maybe I could swing by so we could talk and I can drool.:?

100dollarman

Thanks again everyone for the input and good info. 100dollarman, I looked at your web site after you got a good review and recomendation from Jolly Roger. It looks like you have some nice stuff and I'm sure you could find something that would suit me. I have about 6 months until I'm in a position to buy one, but we will definitly be talking in the future. For now, I'm trying to scrounge up all the OT that I can get, so I will let you know when I'm ready. By the way, I will be riding dirtbikes in the Mojave, next to California City over Thanksgiving, it is my favorite place to ride. Is that close to your location? If so, maybe I could swing by so we could talk and I can drool.:?
We are 'on the way' to Cal City---- give me a call when you are headed over-- I would be glad to give you a tour!!!

NateP

Hey quick question, I thought id ask here seeing as how there was discussion about licensing the 5t. Do you or do you not need a CDL to drive them? I live in Wisconsin and am curious about the licensing requirements,insurance and whatnot before looking to buy a 5t.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Each state differs on this issue. Some interpret the law different than the next.

I would consult your state's vehicle code. Also, your state troopers or local law enforcement agency should have a commercial enforcement detail. They are specialized in the safe operation of large trucks in which the 5-tons fall. I spoke with my local commercial enforcement officers who were quite learned in the field. They were very helpful.

Out here in CA you are required to hold a minimum Class B CDL due to axle count and GVWR over 26000lbs. This also applies to the deuce. Even if you never intend to operate the truck in a commercial capacity, you are still required to operate it safely and competently as if it was. I have gone through the whole process to become properly licensed for both safety and legality sake. Being a LEO myself I really have to lead by example and not place myself above the law.

In any event, whatever you do don't skirt this issue because it may cause greater headaches down the road. A lawyer would love to find any reason to sue you if something goes south.

I hope I have been of some assistance to you.

Last edited:

fasttruck

The extended bed 5t in the 809 series is the m 814 which was supplied with and without winch. The expandavan was the m 820 which was normally supplied without winch. These vehicles have air over hydraulic brakes and manual transmissions. The newer 900 series trucks have equiivilent vehicles and stgraight air brakes and automatic tranmssions. All typically have a nh 250 cummins motor, vehicles are usually listed on gl site by military model number.

moose

I drive a triple axle, air braked, and well over 26000 lbs fire truck every third day without a cdl. That may be a special consideration for the occupation, but we do have on-going driver training every month, and of course a test and drivers school prior to promotion. I will look in to Az law on this matter. On a side note, you can succesfully power slide a 50,000 lb engine around corners on dry asphalt, although it is not recommended it is good to know in case you have to do it to avoid an accident. Thanks for pointing out the legal question guys.

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Heck, I used to power slide M1 tanks, but the DMV out here didn't care. In CA there is special Class B just for Fire Engineers. LA County Sheriff's Deputies who transport inmates on the large buses also have to posses a passenger endorsement Class B.

jollyroger

Your occupational experience and schooling may directly translate into a CDL endorsment. Check with people in your area that give the CDL endorsements and see if any of them are willing to give you the endorsement based on your current level of experience. There will be a fee envolved but it's not like you are going back to school so to speak.