• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New to site and have a lot of questions

Bulldogg

So first off hello I'm from central MN and just picked up my first 1983 M939A1 five ton beast from Camp Ripley MN I love this truck and only had it a week but the diff locks won't engage when I flip the switch or when I put it in low range could it be junk in the air line? Also the windshield whippers won't operate at all and the horn clicks but no air goes threw? I do live in Minnesota so could it be possible that ice is in the lines or does this sound weird to anyone? Oh and I need a block heater for it but don't know where to start looking it has a cummins 250 cnh motor thanks for now guys the pic on my profile is the new truck :driver:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Yup, ice is a good probability. We have members here that have heaters for sale, check the classifieds. Does the truck build air pressure?

Triple C

First thing to do is download the tm's and start diagnostics. Second start searching threads, most of your topics I recognize from other threads so I think you will find a lot of info. As to a block heater, NAPA has them for about $60. I put one in my 925 - best money I have spent. Be sure you have two 6 gallon buckets to drain your coolant into before you open up the block plate. I know there is a good thread on that. Finally - welcome to the site!

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
From your description, I will guess you have a frozen PPV(search that).

Clear descriptions and proper terminology will help with a speedy and accurate repair.

M939 is a series of trucks, what model number is your truck? 931, 923, 925?

Also, you do not have air actuated differential locks, so not sure what you're referring to there.

Most members that have had air issues have also found their air dryers in dire need of servicing.

Bulldogg

Hey thanks guys I looked threw my owners manual 5 times couldn't find anything on the problems yea it builds air pressure 120 to 150 both tanks the release valve must have a little junk in it because it burps instead of just a quick release thanks for the tip about the heaters I'm trying to use as little starting fluid as possible in this cold weather we have up hear thanks dog head I'll look into that ppv that sounds like it could be my problem as for the diff lock I was referring to the four wheel drive does not work when I flip the dash switch or when I put it in low

Last edited:

Bulldogg

It Works

All right thanks to everyone on my earlier post with the air problems. 30 dollar PPV and everything works my horn, windshield wipers (passenger is faster then driver side) and my four wheel drive switch couldn't be happier!! I would have been scratching my head for hours without your help and this site! Now just rebuild the air drier and I'm golden.:tank:
But hears another thing that I cant find is it normal for air to be coming out of this? Its on the passenger side by the radiator hose any thoughts?engine.jpg :???:

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yea the shutter stat might need to be rebuilt. It can be done without removing the base unit if you can find the correct Orings. Do a search and you might find the thread. It does release some air when the shutter stat closes and fan stops but it should be just a couple of seconds of release air then nothing. If it did not release the charge then the fan would stay on.

Last edited:

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here is the thread post # 50 will show pics. You could also try this. Leave the base unit in the block. Unscrew the Alu. cap while holding the base. Be carefull as the cap comes off there is going to be a spring, brass plunger with oring. You could try and just lube up the remaining inside orings and slide with some oring lube without removing the inner slide /oring's. Then reassemble the outside stuff but flip the little oring over and tighten the cap. if not then you will have to remove all the guts and try new orings on everything that moves.
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...lutch-for-M923a1/page5&highlight=shutter+stat

Last edited:

steelandcanvas

Hey thanks guys I looked threw my owners manual 5 times couldn't find anything on the problems yea it builds air pressure 120 to 150 both tanks the release valve must have a little junk in it because it burps instead of just a quick release thanks for the tip about the heaters I'm trying to use as little starting fluid as possible in this cold weather we have up hear thanks dog head I'll look into that ppv that sounds like it could be my problem as for the diff lock I was referring to the four wheel drive does not work when I flip the dash switch or when I put it in low
Welcome Bulldogg! Try to use a little punctuation in your threads, it makes them a lot easier to read.

Bulldogg

Well I get the dumb award today! Took it off not thinking and yep antifreeze came rushing out! Not much but enough to get my leg and hand wet lol. Well round two tomorrow. What is that tool to take the end off? Running to NAPA for parts again tomorrow, just might pick on up.