• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

new to site and new to me m1101 trailer ??'s

maxtor

Don't know about your side of the world, but here, if you carry a weapon on base and get caught, you go directly to jail.
Not worth it, keep your firearms at home when you go on a recovery.

Jon Giovani

Agreed, that is why I left mine at home. Felt naked without it, but bases are at heightened security these days, just leave them home, don't need any additional problems on a long recovery trip.

yamaracer

well, 22hrs and 1140 miles later, the m1102 has a new home.
ended up taking the VW Touareg after all as i just couldn't see taking the bronco that many miles at 10mpg at best.
set the tire pressure at 20psi, stopped repeatedly to check the hub temp, never had to break out any tools.
recovery from Ft Riley was a breeze, Craig(gov planet guy) was very nice, getting the pass to get on to the base took a bit long(imo) but all went well!
VW did an amazing job bringing it home and the m1101 pulled straight and smooth no matter the speed i pulled her!!!
Thanks again for all the responses, you guys were great!

Attachments

Jon Giovani

Good to hear! Craig is great. I'm heading down in the morning to pick up a couple more, but only 180 miles each way for me. Just got back from 320 mile round trip to camp dodge yesterday in the M925 to pick up a couple 5 ton flat bed trailers in the pouring rain and thunder and lightning but it was an otherwise uneventful trip and the green giant has 3600 miles on her now. Will be nice to drive my wife's comfortable jeep tomorrow. ...20150818_100817.jpg

Jon Giovani

Good to hear! Craig is great. I'm heading down in the morning to pick up a couple more, but only 180 miles each way for me. Just got back from 320 mile round trip to camp dodge yesterday in the M925 to pick up a couple 5 ton flat bed trailers in the pouring rain and thunder and lightning but it was an otherwise uneventful trip and the green giant has 3600 miles on her now. Will be nice to drive my wife's comfortable jeep tomorrow. ...View attachment 576677

yamaracer

180 mile is sure more appealing to me than 570 miles!!!
i think i'll wait till Ft Carson has what i want than make that Ft Riley drive again!!
good luck on your recovery today Jon, hope it goes smoothly!

what do you guys use those BIG M925's for??
do they drive pretty well?

Jon Giovani

180 mile is sure more appealing to me than 570 miles!!!
i think i'll wait till Ft Carson has what i want than make that Ft Riley drive again!!
good luck on your recovery today Jon, hope it goes smoothly!

what do you guys use those BIG M925's for??
do they drive pretty well?
The recovery went great today, thank you. 12 hour round trip, only because we spent a couple of hours previewing some of the 800 5 tons they fit in in the last couple weeks that are going up for addiction in the upcoming months. (Oops, typo) auction, but maybe addiction is a more accurate term! I think I have enough m1101 trailers for awhile, now I'm itching for some more 5 tons, ha ha. 20150820_180841.jpg
One of the trailers I picked up today actually had a brand new cargo cover, the others have all been weatherbeaten, even though the trailers were like new. I am going to have to figure out a way to try to rewater proof that rubberized canvas on those ones, but I have not found any good threads on that through the search function yet but I'm sure there is something out there. What is your next purchase that you are looking for?
and my M935 drives really nice, I was able to do 60 mph on the way in there with it empty slowing down to about 50 on the hills and towing 12,000 pounds of flatbed trailer back it was going 55 to 60 mph on the flat but slowing down to 45 to 50 mph on the hills. My wife is strongly encouraging me to put air ride seats in it now so that is exciting.I am lucky to have a wife that supports my addiction, and as well as my 17 year old daughter, she picked out a 5 ton today that she would like to sell her old ford pick to raise some cash to buy now too! she loves old trucks and military, proud papa here.

BudMan

I picked my M1101 from the Kansas Guard at Topeka last February. I have a home in SW Missouri and also in north central illinois. I have been pulling my 1101 with my 2015 Wrangler JKU back forth for several months all at highway speeds. That means 70+ in both Missouri and Illinois all without trouble. I check the hubs for heat at every gas stop and the occasional rest stop when my wife's Jack Russells indicate that they are really serious about stopping for a personal hygiene stop NOW!! I have changed the rear taillights with replacement military style taillight modules and was using a 24v to 12v adapter on the military wiring until this past weekend when i removed the military wiring harness (just the front half) and wired in standard four wire trailer connector. I am having the the clevis hitch cut above the loop and an 8 inch extension welded in so the trailer sits level. I was using a 12 inch adapter plate for the clevis hitch but I was worried about the stress. (also i couldn't open the rear door with the spare tire mounted)

I am shopping for a local fabricator to make me an aluminum "lid" that i can hinge to the trailer on the driver's side. I will attach legs to it so as it is opened and set up, a tent will open up on it. I will add an equipment basket to the front to hold another 5 gallon gas can, a propane tank and a honda 2K generator. I will use them to power a refrigerator/freezer on the inside of the trailer, a chest type, similar to those found in RVs.

Once the build starts, I will start a new thread with pics