• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New to SS

72Kaiser

Just like to say hi to everybody here. I just recently found this forum and really enjoy reading through all the threads. I've always had an interest in the deuce and a half and the 5 tons and just recently had the opportunity to acquire one. About a month ago I started a new part time job with a local dairy farmer doing field work. While pulling his tillage equipment out of the hedgerow I see he had a 6x6. I asked him about it and he didn't know much about it. All he said was that one day he threw a driveline and broke the transfer case (turns out the tranny is whats broken). So I did a little snooping and some research on it. The tag on the dash says it's a 5 ton Kaiser M291-A2 delivered in 1972. It's got the air cleaner on the passenger fender, so does that make it an M39 and maybe I just can't read the tag? I opened the hood and it has the 6cyl turbo multifuel engine. It's been a couple of years since it ran, but it looks like it's in great shape. It's been painted an awful shade of purple, and it looks like the frame has been extended, but he would take $400 for it, so I told him I'd take it. The only problem is that the tranny's broke all the way around the case and that doesn't look like much fun to change, even if I find one to replace it. So right now I'm thinking about bobbing it and doing a total re-power and turning it into my next mud truck. We'll see. Thanks for all the great info on the site.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Either way you will have to replace the broken part. Just replace it, get the truck running and put a few hours on it before you filet it, you might like it. Need to post up some pics before you get the dreaded "No Pics" salvos.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Welcome!

The M39 dataplate does refer to the first generation of 5 tons (the second being the M809 series). It may have been built as a cab & chassis model before the expandable body was added, making it the M291A2. Below is picture of an M820 expandable van. This is what the body on yours would have looked like as an M291.

Attachments

72Kaiser

Thanks for the info. How readily available are those transmissions? Did some quick searching the other day and didn't come up with much. Pics are coming, there's only so many hours in the day. Thanks.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the info. How readily available are those transmissions? Did some quick searching the other day and didn't come up with much. Pics are coming, there's only so many hours in the day. Thanks.
Welcome to SS.

Here is a link with some interesting info....

US MILITARY M-39 SERIES 5-TON, 6X6 TRUCKS

To bad it wasn't the M289......

http://www.olive-drab.com/idphoto/id_photos_m39_missiletrk.php

The tranny for the M39 series trucks can be found for a little money. There are a lot of people that have parted the trucks out. Post a Want Ad and see who responds.

For $400 buy it and tinker with it in your spare time. Changing out the tranny isn't that hard just big and heavy parts. Look up some post on the Deuce tranny replacement and it will give you a good idea of what is involved. I've done 4 or 5.

You can download the manuals from the Resources tab above. You will want the following:

TM 9-2320-211-10
TM 9-2320-211-20
TM 9-2320-211-20-1
TM 9-2320-211-20-2-1
TM 9-2320-211-20-2-2
TM 9-2320-211-20-3-1
TM 9-2320-211-20-3-2
TM 9-2320-211-20p
TM 9-2320-211-35

That will give you plenty of reading for awhile. :shock:

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks