• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New to SS

motorman

Gentlemen,

i am new to the world of MV and have taken the plunge.

recently purchased a M1009 with 23,000 miles from GL. checked the fluids first then started, drove and even came with a full tank of fuel. trailered it home swept out all the trash and now the work begins. 4wd works as well as all the lights and gauges. little bit of rust on the passenger side as there was the cable protector holding sand and water so i will cut this out sooner than later.

already changed the oil and did some general cleaning. you can see from the pictures i plan to spend the thanksgiving weekend changing belts, servicing the differentials, new glow plugs, doghead starter relay, glow plug relay, hoses and transfer case too as i want a daily driver for the majority of the year when AC is not necessary. rear window seals shold hopefully from LMC in the next days.

there is 1 mechanical problem then the rest is cosmetic. it starts the first time but if i do not 'catch it' and get the rpm up a little bit then it will die and it will take some feathering of the accelerator pedal and 5+ sec of starting to get it to start. sometimes nothing and i leave it alone but then i can see fuel dripping out from the bottom of the fuel filter.

any advise? do i just switch to a spin on bae and forget about it?

you can see in picture 729 how the dail gate is torn. it appears that something heavy was carried with a load on the metal. there is a similar tear on the other side. has anyone experienced this? did you just weld it and grind it down?

lastly i cannot get the rear seat to come out. after it folds down should it come straight up or what.

thanks for all of you who have paved the way in making this a very helpful site.

very best regards
m

Attachments

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your fuel filter backing plate is probably shot and leaking air. It is FOR SURE leaking fuel.

You can get the bracket/backing plate w/sensors/and a new fuel filter. All for $75 (ish) shipped. It will probably solve several problems.

Welcome to SS!

On my M1009 the back seat didn't want to come out until I got some penetrating lubricant in the attachment points and used a short pry bar on it. After that I was able to clear out a bunch of rust and crud from the two holes where the seat grabs onto the floor. I'm attaching a pic from the -20 Maintenance Manual that shows the rear bench, that should help you figure out what to whack on until it gives.

If you don't already have TM 9-2320-289-10 and -20, go grab them from the Resources link. Search feature is your friend. You can also use Google to search SS by adding 'site:steelsoldiers.com' (w/o quotes) to your query.

Attachments

Last edited:

combatmech

Both of the 09's I have owned had the same kind of tailgate damage. A guy at my apt.complex had a 91 civy Blazer that had the same dents as well.....
What did they do to your dash??? Looks like they used seat cover material....Engine compatment looks really clean.
Welcome to the best MV addiction support group!!

motorman

glcaines thanks for the reassurance of the place to start. i lurked for a month then joined and downloaded all the manuals. have made a cursoury review but will be more in depth as time rolls on. i became settled on starting with the M1009 after visiting clayton and mountain city near you and thought this is the place for me.

73m819 born at peidmont hospital before Northside was open. most people from GA say i am from the city but am proud to be one of the few native sons.

wallew i have check the classifieds and did not find anything. can you point the way?

thedeliverator i have checked the manual on page 385 and am still confused thanks for your picture it appears that the hinge at the front is only 2 tabs that hold the front corners of the seat base? do i lube the point 13? should the handle pull up / or out or lever in / out?

combatmech the dash is original to me kinda looks like it was sewn to look like jeans but it is cusion / spongy material underneath there is not another pad . . . and yes i am hooked . . . on the EUC the question 3 for nature of business . . . hobbiest does not quite do it. as you said junkie is closer!

WARWAG

I havent picked my M1028 up yet but one of the first mods will be to get rid of that leak prone fuel filter housing! I havent decided which spin on filter and base I will use but something with a priming pump for sure. Leaking fuel is never a good thing. My friend had the same rear seat issue on his M1009. I went over there with my can of KROIL and we had the seat out in less than a minute. KROIL is the best penetrating lube of them all period. Do your self a favor and pick up a can or two. His was mainly full of crud and rusty. Nice looking M1009! That is my next purchase. Welcome to SS. Youve found a site with a great bunch of members. Ive never met a better group of Forum members. Good luck with your project. Post plenty of pictures!

:driver:

Last edited:
The pic I posted is part of page 10-86 in the -20 (PDF page numbers may differ between versions of the file, the ones on the pages themselves are more certain.) IIRC, and it's been a while, that handle on the rear of the seat comes up and forward. I had to lube the points in the floor (unlabeled) to get it loose. The two hinges at the front were fine. Squeaky, but fine.

The G Man

Welcoma and good luck. Your body looks great compared to last one I bought. Someone at GL got real forklift happy and dent both doors, the bed and frt quarter panel. Good luck and welcome, this site has some great Motorhead you can point you in right dirctions

erniemigi

on the rear seat, after you lay it down you grad the handle and pull up and you should be able to lift the seat up, if not i would hit all the spots with PB Blaster

zout

Welcome from just west of ya in Lilburn - my son lives in Loganville.

Good to have you here - another sick OD inflicted MV fanatic in Ga it looks like.:beer:

Oldsouthernboy

The tail gate cracks come from the gorillia of a GI slamming the tailgate shut to hard to often causing stress cracks in the sheet metal. Using Wille E Coyote instructions, Bend to fit, hammer to shape, Drill small hole in end of crack, weld crack shut, grind smooth, prime and paint.

Sasquatch

Welcome, looks like a pretty good truck, I don't have a M1009, but I ran an 84 Blazer as a plow truck last season and loved it.