• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New To Steel Soldiers - 1986 M998 HMMWV Title & Registration Success

SantaKenny

Hello Everyone - I am new here on Steel Soldiers. I have a 1986 M998 that I will be using in my professional Santa business. Yes - there is such a business. :grin:

I got my humvee through auction back in August and have slowly been transforming it into "Santa's Other Sleigh".

After hearing stories of the difficulties of getting a humvee registered I was not sure what I would face on my visit to the DMV.

I went to the Virginia DMV this past Wednesday and was successful in getting title, registration and antique plates for my Humvee - which allows me to drive legally on the highways. This was accomplished in one trip in about 30 minutes. I had the SF-97, FL dealer title transfer form, VA DMV application for title and registration and VA DMV application for antique plates.

I briefly explained I wanted to get the antique plates so I could drive the humvee to events and parades. Very little was asked about the paperwork. The only question asked was what the type of vehicle it is. I said the ID plate said utility truck. It was simple, fast and successful. I have a clean title that does not say off-road use only, registration and Virginia antique plates. I couldn't be happier!

My advice to anyone going to DMV is be pleasant, not too talkative (when you look like Santa it does generate conversation - so I had an advantage) and don't volunteer information.

I figured I would share this success story since I had not seen any recent stories.

Until later - have an awesome weekend!
23435050_2105435299468439_5857123915889766327_n.jpg

Last edited:

dmetalmiki

Happy xmas..And welcome to the site. Should make quite an impression your modern day sleigh!. The children (and some adults,) Will be asking , "Did you drive all the way from Lapland Santa?"

SantaKenny

Nice. I'm still waiting on my SF-97 unfortunately. Did you paint the doors, if so, what did you use and are you happy with the results?
I used Valspar Tractor and Equipment enamel - International Harvester Red with a flex additive. I used an HVLP sprayer on some and brush on other body parts. All in all I'm pleased with the results. I needed to get it painted for this season. Good luck with yours. From the close of auction to EUC clearing was 3 months. Then it was two months before the SF-97 was delivered.

jeffy777

Merry Christmas Santa Kenny! Good Job.

There is a HMMWV Support group here in VA and there are about 5 people out your way that I know of that are in the group. You can join ( https://www.facebook.com/groups/253796061807650/) We have a great time together. We have get together every once in a while and we look at things we are doing to improve our HMMWV's and keep them running.

I hope you join and I look forward to meeting you.

Jeff

M998newbie

Hey Santa.....which DMV did you go to? I'm in VA also.
And is the FL transfer paperwork hard to get?
Thanks!!

Hello Everyone - I am new here on Steel Soldiers. I have a 1986 M998 that I will be using in my professional Santa business. Yes - there is such a business. :grin:

I got my humvee through auction back in August and have slowly been transforming it into "Santa's Other Sleigh".

After hearing stories of the difficulties of getting a humvee registered I was not sure what I would face on my visit to the DMV.

I went to the Virginia DMV this past Wednesday and was successful in getting title, registration and antique plates for my Humvee - which allows me to drive legally on the highways. This was accomplished in one trip in about 30 minutes. I had the SF-97, FL dealer title transfer form, VA DMV application for title and registration and VA DMV application for antique plates.

I briefly explained I wanted to get the antique plates so I could drive the humvee to events and parades. Very little was asked about the paperwork. The only question asked was what the type of vehicle it is. I said the ID plate said utility truck. It was simple, fast and successful. I have a clean title that does not say off-road use only, registration and Virginia antique plates. I couldn't be happier!

My advice to anyone going to DMV is be pleasant, not too talkative (when you look like Santa it does generate conversation - so I had an advantage) and don't volunteer information.

I figured I would share this success story since I had not seen any recent stories.

Until later - have an awesome weekend!

SantaKenny

Good morning - I went to the DMV in Suffolk, VA. The FL title transfer paperwork was included with the SF-97. If you show up at DMV with your forms pre-filled that will help as well.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks