• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New to Steel Soldiers, interested in purchasing first HMMWV

ogrove

I have been looking to purchase my first HMMWV. I have been watching them come and go from GovPlanet. It seems most (functional vehicles) are listing for $3,000-$6,000 and selling for $17,000+. I was hoping to spend less than $10,000 (after repairs). End goal is a 4 seater that functions well and doesn't need major body work. Is this feasible? Any recommendations on finding a vehicle?

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
Auctions start out like... YEA. I can swing that and then $$$$ out of one's budget. Going to have to shop real hard for one in that price range. Not to say it couldn't happen. Plan on doing your own work / repairs as it is a hobby IMO for fun... like a hot rod or a boat, yep boat.

Some of the bits to all the pieces add up fast. My BS rule of thumb is double what you paid to get it the way you want in a basic HumV.

Not looking to bust any dreams or bank accounts... Good to have the "war dept." on board too. Be careful, study the photos, get the TM's on line... study them too. Helpful to find a buddy with one to "Eye Ball" the goings on to see if this is the rig for you. Take the leap, roll the dice..... Good luck.

Tax, license, auction fees, transportation, dealer prep, tank of fuel, extended warranty, paint protection and free oil change not included, CAMO

Last edited:

DREDnot

I was hoping to spend less than $10,000 (after repairs). End goal is a 4 seater that functions well
Yeah, that ship has sailed.
All that you will be getting that price range will be disappointment. Prices have almost doubled in recent months. Almost everything for converting a two man to four is out of stock at all the vendors.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

chrisross

I got a great M1123 one year ago at $7000 that required a new injector pump and injectors, but the rest of it including the engine and trans were already built. Oregon Fuel Injection did the pump for $1200 and the injectors were another $250. It also needed new tires, the unit had been sitting in the 120 degree desert for a long time and all the tires had flat spots that would not go away (same for everything I got from Yermo, CA including an F-350 and an MK23)

Today everything selling for $7000 is missing major components, certainly they are not in freshly rebuilt status. You would need to buy two or more. If you want something that is ready to go expect to spend closer to $20,000 right now.

The COVID marketplace has pushed heavily towards offroading. At some point I think it will go back to normal but if you want to spend less than $15,000 at this point you will need to spend a lot of time sorting things out.

I really can't wait for surplus JLTVs, those are clearly the king of off-road compared to the HMMWV now

I do feel really lucky with GP,I just got four Wrangler MT/R on 24-bolt wheels for $1100. The tires are nearly new, and the wheels are perfect. These are much nicer than the MT tires, and there are no flat spots.

Ajax MD

I'm betting that JLTV's never make it into public hands. In fact, you can pretty much write off surplus vehicles at all, during a Biden administration.
A forum member who works closely with DLA says it's not looking good.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds implausible, right?

Except that quite a few things that were considered "zero probably events" happened. HMMWVs sold without shredding, MTVRs being surplussed, and the list goes on.

So I wouldn't bet long odds against it.
sure, if you fast forward 30yrs or more....the vehicle is just now being released.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
sure, if you fast forward 30yrs or more....the vehicle is just now being released.
Sounds a lot like the discussion about MTVRs before they were released.

But in general I agree with you. I'll be shocked to see them released in my remaining lifespan.

Changing topic, to the OP's original question - I don't think $10k is going to get a 4man variant that doesn't need major work. $17k might even be a bit optimistic. RWH probably has a pretty good idea of current market values....

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Truck prices vary by geographics, California titled trucks and titled trucks in heavily restricted states bring a premium.
states and regions that allow unobstructed registration much cheaper, but $10k is going to be a stretch for your final cost after repairs....as a general rule.

HMMWV1123

I’ll say as of July 2021, aM1123 6.5L 4 speed that runs well and has hard doors is going cost you $32k. What the guys said is right. It’s easy to buy a “cheap” Humvee for $10k but finding parts, title, etc will cost you another $20k. I just did it.

JetbikeAnt

If there is any interest, I'm selling my M998 4 man. New soft Top, curtain, doors, shocks, brush guard, KDS, Glow plugs. It even has new A2 NOS High Back seats up front. Has radio tray. $19500. That is with an Antique00Z0Z_bdTj40lLEf5_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg PA Title. Never worry about inspection again and cheap insurance. Starts right up. I put a lot of work into her. The next owner will not be disappointed.

tgejesse

I bought an 1123 recently for 11k on Gov planet, after fees taxes shipping and some basic parts I’m almost at 20k. You might be best shopping for someone selling off of Gov planet.

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I bought an 1123 recently for 11k on Gov planet, after fees taxes shipping and some basic parts I’m almost at 20k. You might be best shopping for someone selling off of Gov planet.
It adds up quickly. Last time I totaled what I have spent I was doing ok. I have around 15,750 before any parts and I still need delivery. I’m only 129 miles away so I can go get it for a few hundred dollars if shipping is too expensive. Probably another 6K to finish it.

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
It adds up quickly. Last time I totaled what I have spent I was doing ok. I have around 15,750 before any parts and I still need delivery. I’m only 129 miles away so I can go get it for a few hundred dollars if shipping is too expensive. Probably another 6K to finish it.
That's if one gets to it. Waiting and parts pricing are going $ up $$ up $$$ up.

Surplus once was cheap. Somewhere along the way... I already paid for one, CAMO

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's if one gets to it. Waiting and parts pricing are going $ up $$ up $$$ up.

Surplus once was cheap. Somewhere along the way... I already paid for one, CAMO
I have been hunter gather ever since I won mine. Now I read on other thread that’s no guarantee it will be there waiting for you

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks