• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New to the Deuce

m35a2AL

Howdy folks,

I'm getting my 69 a2 with a white motor next week. She's in great shape with new tires, paint, rebuilt motor and tran, new canvas, etc.

She has about 64k miles on her.

Are there any specific parts I need to go ahead and stock up on?

Are there any specific issues I need to check for right off?

Thanks to all, and I look forward to hanging out on this forum.

I'm also planning to install a CB and Radio in her right off the bat. The 24v system is new to me, so there will be a learning curve there too.

I have pictures but I can't figure out how to post them here.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-...AAIXQ/sJP5l9YL6Fg/s800/IMG-20110628-00011.jpg

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-...aIjQiVMTVM/s800/Birmingham-20110628-00013.jpg

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Nice looking truck, welcome to SS. I'd look over the brakes and bearings. I try to keep a spare set of fuel filters with me along with at least one inner and outer bearing.

91W350

I carry all the filters except air. I bought a heavy ballistic tool bag that sits on the outside of the floor under the passenger's seat. I also carry an identical bag with tools on the inside part of the floor under the passenger's seat. The filter bag has spare filters gaskets and belts. I never thought about a wheel bearing, but that is good advice as the spring pivot uses them too. I bought a 42" one inch drive breaker bar and a budd wheel socket. I also carry a wheel bearing socket 3" and a pork chop. The bar that goes with the truck cannot tackle the nuts some impact happy mechanic put on with his inch drive impact. Road triangles and an inflation hose. Don't forget your first aid kit. Everything is heavy and it is easy to poke a hole in yourself!

Brakes! Be sure you can stop before you roll!

A lot of deuces seem to have loose bolts on the shaft between the transmission and transfer case. Grab a couple of long 3/4 wrenches and check those bolts.

Last edited:

m35a2AL

I carry all the filters except air. I bought a heavy ballistic tool bag that sits on the outside of the floor under the passenger's seat. I also carry an identical bag with tools on the inside part of the floor under the passenger's seat. The filter bag has spare filters gaskets and belts. I never thought about a wheel bearing, but that is good advice as the spring pivot uses them too. I bought a 42" one inch drive breaker bar and a budd wheel socket. I also carry a wheel bearing socket 3" and a pork chop. The bar that goes with the truck cannot tackle the nuts some impact happy mechanic put on with his inch drive impact. Road triangles and an inflation hose. Don't forget your first aid kit. Everything is heavy and it is easy to poke a hole in yourself!

Brakes! Be sure you can stop before you roll!

A lot of deuces seem to have loose bolts on the shaft between the transmission and transfer case. Grab a couple of long 3/4 wrenches and check those bolts.
Awesome. Thank you.

Is there a widely accepted location to get parts?
I don't mind ordering on the internet, but I'd prefer to buy local in parts stores.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Parts you can't get locally,
1) Air filter. You can find them that fit but don't flow the 410 CFM required
2) Wheel seals
3) Light Switch
4) Blinker box

You can get wheel bearings and wheel cylinders locally but not economically. Do some preemptive comparitive shopping so you can get up to speed.

jasonjc

The frist thing I would do with that truck is trun the cargo cover around be for you tare it up. It seems to be on back wards. Other than that it looks real nice. As for parts trust us when we say you are best off ordering them from one of the MV parts dealers. You got a good one right there in AL Teds trucks. Most parts places just look at you like you are from mars or some where like like that when you try to get parts. Well filters, belts and hose they may have BUT you need to take them the number because they can not look any thing up.

ICAT

Great looking truck. Welcome. I have been a member for about a year but I just bought my first deuce a month ago. Somethings I can say about the sight. The advice is great and there is pleanty of it. Use the search and when you find the answer you're looking for, make a note of the thread so you can find it again. If you can find it, someone here will point you in the right direction. Also, if you do any work and ask a question, if possible post some pic or you will see alot of this
nopics

Looking foward to reading any updates on your truck

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The truck looks nice - and I don't say that just because it looks just like mine did. I see some subtle signs that the truck was cared for at some point. Good paint, step added in front, star detail on bumper.

That's the good news. Your job is to find out if that impression is skin deep or applies to the rest of the truck. If you can speak to the previous owner and he can tell you/has a list of the maintenance he did, such as gear lube changes, new filters etc. it is great. If not, I recommend to assume that the truck has not seen the PM it needs and do it accordingly. PM (preventative maintenance) can be found in the TM (technical manuals). Downloadable for free from Jatonka's M35 web site.

Brakes are top of the list for me. Which brake fluid is in it? You should pull at least one rear and one front brake drum to see what the shoes and cylinders look like and if they are adjusted properly. Check hoses for cracking/swelling and lines for corrosion. Any leaks?
Do a complete lube job with the grease gun (see lubrication order). Check all fluids and, if you do not want to drain all differentials and transmission etc. pull a sample and see what the stuff looks like. Foamy or water in it? Better drain and refill with new.

Engine...well, filters, oil, coolant hoses (does the lower hose chafe?)

I recommend this for peace of mind. You want to drive the truck and get accustomed to it. It is more fun and less stressful when you know that the critical stuff actually works and won't leave you stranded.

Read the thread about picking up a Deuce. The principle is the same - you drive a truck whose past life you know nothing about and is new to you. http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/133-great-list-picking-up-your-deuce.html

Last edited:

onegmjack

I bought a 3/4 inch torque wrench,to have a piece of mind that the wheels are tight to spec.I hate the thought of one of the wheels being not tight enough, and coming off and hurting or killing someone.Just my way of thinking.You did get a great looking truck.

m35a2AL

Well I brought her home today. The ride was nice until the last 10 or so miles and the rear end was shaking really bad.

Nothing smelled strange, and all looks well on a glance over. Wondering if there is anything I should check out.

I plan to do a full inspection in the coming days. More pics to come.

chicklin

I drove all the way home on one on my recovery and didn't know it. There was some vibration, but I just figured it was the frontend. The only way I figured it out was my buddy in the chase car said he could see it flopping around a little at highway speeds. Got to looking at it and found out the tube had spun in the tire and the valve stem was nowhere to be found.

Triman

On the net now looking for my first duece. But trying to do as much homework as possible before hand. (From one newbie to another, read, read, read about this stuff up front and save yourself the time later)

One question I have for the group.... I've got one in Hunstville that will be coming up for bid in 14 days. Is it worth driving to see the rig before the bidding starts?(Two hour drive from Birmingham)

Thanks to all for the advice, I've already added 3 sites to save from this one thread. I will say that thier are some great ideas on the site. But they will cost a pretty penny for sure. :) I hope to be posting pics of my new ride and any updates I plan to do.

m35a2AL

On the net now looking for my first duece. But trying to do as much homework as possible before hand. (From one newbie to another, read, read, read about this stuff up front and save yourself the time later)

One question I have for the group.... I've got one in Hunstville that will be coming up for bid in 14 days. Is it worth driving to see the rig before the bidding starts?(Two hour drive from Birmingham)

Thanks to all for the advice, I've already added 3 sites to save from this one thread. I will say that thier are some great ideas on the site. But they will cost a pretty penny for sure. :) I hope to be posting pics of my new ride and any updates I plan to do.
I would definitely check it out before buying it. It seems Deuces come in widely varying conditions, and you can easily get a Lemon. I shopped for a good one for years before buying this one.

The guys here can tell you what things to pay close attention to when you go inspect it. (I'm rather new to the site, and to owning a Deuce, so I won't be of much help, considering I can't even tell I have a flat tire!)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks