• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New to the forum and have some M920 questions

R Racing

Hello to all from MD. I just bought a M920 and had some questions? Were does 1 find a operators manual . LOL ? Also was curious to weather anyone drives these off the base to get them home with a follow truck? I'm 40 miles from were it is.Or am I better off hiring a truck to haul it? How available are parts ? I noticed they use a 3 1/2 Pin I'm thinking of making some 2 " to 3 1/2" adapters up to use a commercial trailers. Any good or bad with the M920's Also looking at a M813 and M 817 so any input would be greatly appriciated !

Thanks !

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you are looking for a paper manual, try Milman61 on ebay. He had them recently, and I have had very good experiences buying from him.

Cheers

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Type "M920" in the "search forums" box and you will be able to read about different experiences with recoveries of these series trucks. There is also a post about fitting a 5th wheel plate with 2" king pin for use with normal trailers. Uncle Sam just started getting rid of these this year so we are all still learning about them. Most parts seem to be available at heavy duty truck parts supply houses. For sure you will need the manual to operate the Cat trans properly. I found the manual on ebay myself. Good luck and post some pics of when you go get your monster!

R Racing

Thanks Guys! I just did a search on e bay and didn't find a manual there , But contacted seller Milman61 and asked if he had 1 . I have been reading up on this site and saw a awesome custom 1 and read some good things so far. I see alot of them comming up for sale . It may be a while for my EUC to go thru , I bought a generator a month ago and still waiting for that 1 to go thru. For now here is the GL link to it 2320 - Trucks & Truck Tractors, Wheeled at Government Liquidation

It says it has 800000 miles on it . But the Odomter looks way off none of the #s line up and the body doesn't look rode that hard either. It also has a 12/02 date code engine in it. I'm excited to get my hands on it , LOL I needed a truck to haul a john deere 710 with . Sometime thru the mountians and thats 1 heavy unit.

Heavy Hooker

The M920 is a really good heavy hauler. I have been working on them and driving them for over 25 years. The Cummins Big Cam 400 has plenty of power. You will find the frame height pretty high if you wanted to put a 2 inch king pin fifth wheel on it an haul normal height trailers. We use ours with the M870 trailers and an old M172 trailer, both being low boys. the Trans takes a bit of practice to be proficient at moving a load with. I have found locating trans parts a real challenge. The mining and logging outfits in South America were about the only others that could afford to buy and run these transmissions becides Uncle Sam. The electrical wiring under the dash and at the bulkhead connections can be problematic at times. The alternator is a 12/24v unit with the 12v side having a 100Amp output and the 24v side having a 5 Amp output. The battery set that runs in series to make the 24v always runs with a lower charge unless you operate it all day then the alternator can have a chance to charge them. I did a conversion on one truck by putting an FMTV alternator on it, we never had any issues with frozen or low batteries again. You will enjoy your M920!

runk

most of the manuals are at
https://www.logsa.army.mil/etms/ind...c3b901aa6-D454DC4C-E88C-18F7-02EFFA3D0AFBB3E8

You don't need a login for the publicly released manuals. You may need to allow the site, depending on your browser security settings, it uses military site certificates which some don't like.

Look for the m915 series, they include the m920, here is what I found-
TM9-2320-273-10
-10HR
-24P
TC21-305-6 (training)
TB9-2320-273-13&p-1 armor kit
-2 AC kit
LO9-2320-273-12 lube
mwo9-2320-273-20-1 air tank mod

If you go into the old Steel Soldiers site, under PS magazines, there is a collection of 915 related articles
http://old.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?set_albumName=album21&name=gallery&include=view_album.php

Last edited:

R Racing

Thanks for all of your help ! I have a manual on the way ! I know I'm at least 30 days out bringing it home, But I sure wish it was tomorrow ! LOL . Now on the hunt for a nice M813 or M817 lol ?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks