• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

new to the forum few basic questions about a M35a2

schimms15

Looking at a few M35A2 trucks and a M936, all new to me. Can both of these trucks sustain 60 mph for 5-6 hours without damage occuring? I am from the Cj2a world where 45 is the sweet spot and you can hit 55 but risk destroying your engine quickly. Also what can these trucks tow? I have a 15000lb crawler I would like to be able to haul can I hitch a 8k trailer to these on the pintle and pull that or is that asking way to much of these trucks?

Also anything else I should know or a link to a good basics page like what to check would be very helpful. Thanks in advance.

Kharville

Looking at a few M35A2 trucks and a M936, all new to me. Can both of these trucks sustain 60 mph for 5-6 hours without damage occuring? I am from the Cj2a world where 45 is the sweet spot and you can hit 55 but risk destroying your engine quickly. Also what can these trucks tow? I have a 15000lb crawler I would like to be able to haul can I hitch a 8k trailer to these on the pintle and pull that or is that asking way to much of these trucks?

Also anything else I should know or a link to a good basics page like what to check would be very helpful. Thanks in advance.
1. Speed will depend on whether you have stock tires or larger like 395's. I have larger and run about 55 on interstate and such. I don't run mine at 60. It seems high on the revs.
2. I believe towing capacity (officially) is 10k. You could tow more but power and braking will be limited. Truck weighs around 13k empty I believe in stock form.

A 5 ton might be better for 10k+ loads.

Elijah95

Certified Rookie
I’ve owned a Deuce and a M939 series 5 ton, and both trucks had their distinct advantages as well as their disadvantages.

With that said, due to design, age, gearing, and stock tire size on a Deuce as well as reliability, i would tend to lean towards a M939 series 5 ton or FMTV/LMTV for your application.

In short, an “average” Deuce is great for (in my opinion): short to medium trips around town/ local area not exceeding 52mph on stock tires
Going off-road and being very capable doing so
Being very inexpensive to operate with reasonable mileage
Stupid simple to work on if you’re mechanically inclined
Parts are reasonably priced

Whereas a M939 or Stewart&Stevenson with:
Better road manners
Higher top speeds
Newer (can be a pro or con)
More creature comforts
Factory Power steering
True air brakes that work wonderfully
Some parts are more readily available locally
BIGGER CABS (Major bonus to me)

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor

The deuce only weighs 13k so an 8k trailer and a 15k dozer is going to kill it. and be very slow.

My 923 works hard, cruises at 68mph at 55k gross. Done 80,000+ miles in the last 18 months.

A deuce wont like towing that much. plus its slow. and not a caddy at highway speeds. my trailer in the picture is for sale. it is rated at 60,000lbs. weighs 12,000lbs empty.

A 936 wrecker is pretty slow. and even worse if you load them down. an A2 wrecker is not bad but you would want to give it some more guts.

Attachments

schimms15

Thanks for all the input, what do you mean by A2 wrecker? Also I am in WI so 26k is the limit before i need a CDL whats a 5 ton truck run in at I would guess I need a CDL for one of them. a 2.5 like the m35 is 2.5 tons in the bed so 5,000 lbs bed weight right?

snowtrac nome

You toss a trailer on a duce your going to need a cdl, and your coming to come under cmv enforcement in just about all states, with a dull
dueley one ton or larger if you are using it to generate revenue any way. For most states if the truck is used as a farm truck or for private use only they are cdl exempt and not dot enforceable. If you are pulling for your self get what does the job the best don't try to skate regulations. As a side note you can still become a victim of cmv enforcement if you take your dodge diesel or tundra out and try the same stunts you see on tv say like trying to move a house with your pick up you are now over gross and that's a stiff fine and out of service criteria.

tobyS

I have a super nice M931A2 tractor....and will throw in the trunion plate for making a fifth wheel drop deck or RGN trailer. It is the nicest truck of the 16 that I have bought (sold 13).... a RR rebuild in 2012. More pictures if your interested. I've got one truck too many to keep up with.

Attachments

schimms15

thanks tobys but I would like something with a crane at that point, my other question that popped up today the guy who pulled my crawler up there used a 3500HD chevy diesel and a goose neck and did it. Man i would have to think a truck this big can do more then one of those. I doubt i would ever pull the crawler far I think semi regularly I would pull it 30 miles to my grandpas cabin which can be all country back roads with 35 or 45 speed limits or 2 55mph roads. I also would like to have a truck so if i rent a back hoe, mini excavtor, skid steer etc i can pull it home the 15 min at 55. any thoughts on all the above?

MuleMac01

Military vehicle collector
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You'll be going slow up to 55 or 60 mph in a 939 with that kind of weight trust me I know, and any hill good bye speed. And also the data plates for M923A2 says can only tow a trailer up to 14k trailer and cargo weight ( other models are different). You dont want dot to pull you over and find you're over weight.

Last edited:

snowtrac nome

You'll be going slow up to 55 or 60 mph in a 939 with that kind of weight trust me I know, and any hill good bye speed. And also the data plates for M923A2 says can only tow a trailer up to 14k trailer and cargo weight ( other models are different). You dont want dot to pull you over and find you're over weight.
As I said earlier over gross applies to any vehicle not just the ones that fall under cmv enforcement. also if you are involved in an accident and you are over gross your insurance company might tell you sorry your on your own

schimms15

Gotcha. A 5 ton truck can only tow 14000 lbs? That seems very low if you can put 10000 in the bed and I think I saw putting 20000 in it on dry paved roads. The m35a2 is 5,000lbs on dry road or off road? I get your point about gvwr. I am trying to verify what they can handle. If I need a cdl I can get one I just want to be knowlwdgable going in before I realize I’m out.

tobyS

Gotcha. A 5 ton truck can only tow 14000 lbs? That seems very low if you can put 10000 in the bed and I think I saw putting 20000 in it on dry paved roads. The m35a2 is 5,000lbs on dry road or off road? I get your point about gvwr. I am trying to verify what they can handle. If I need a cdl I can get one I just want to be knowlwdgable going in before I realize I’m out.
The tractor has different rating. Per wiki; "The M931 (M932 w/winch) was a semi-tractor used to tow semi-trailers up to 37,500 lb (17,000 kg)".

jasonjc

But that is WITH the 10,000lbs in the bed.

tobyS

ok but what about the M923a2 trucks?
Maybe you can convince them of this (in the TM).

The 5-ton load limit rating of M939/A1/A2 series vehicles does not mean
these vehicles are limited to 5-ton payloads. A vehicle rating only indicates the
maximum amount of cargo weight the vehicle axles and frame can withstand when
operating under the worst cross-country conditions.

In Indiana, I buy the GVW tag (plate) that I want. They never ask to see the vehicle to know what the dash tag is rated, as far as I know. Higher GVW = higher price. For example, I bought 42,000# for my M929A2. 42K then is my legal limit.

snowtrac nome

it may be different else where but in this state you cant exceed the gross combined weight in the owners manual or on the door tag. It doesn't matter what fees you pay. The weights in the door tags indicate what the truck is engineered to move control and stop with.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks