• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New to the M35A2 and have lots of questions

Phil P

Hello

I am new to the M35A2 and have lots of questions

We have purchase one of these to use as a brush fire control vehicle.

My first question is about brakes.

The fluid I drained out of one of the rear wheels is oily in texture and doesn’t mix with water. The manual I have calls for Silicon brake fluid. This equates to DOT5 brake fluid.

Are most of you all here using the DOT5 brake fluid?

I have brakes now that I have service the system and bleed the brakes with DOT5 fluid. However the master cylinder is leaking.

The air booster is working and I don’t seem to have any excessive loss of air pressure when the brakes are applied.

This is all I have for now I am sure I will have more questions as I go along.

Phil P

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Phil,
Welcome from Kentucky. Yes to the DOT 5, do not use DOT 3 or 4. As for the leaking M/C, they are easily rebuilt or replaced. New units are available. I suggest that you go through the brake system to ensure it remains reliable. Check the wheel cylinders, fluid lines, brake shoes for condition and wear. Get ahold of the service manuals (TMs) -very handy when working on the truck. Don't forget to inspect the parking brake on the transfer case. You're at the right place. Lots of knowledge on this site.
JC

The King Machine

Hello,

Welcome.

In 2012,

I rebuilt almost every component on the brake system for this truck. Due the systems design I wanted full confidence. The master cylinder is very easy to rebuild, it took longer to get it in and out of the truck. All the rubber lines were replaced as well as the wheel cylinder.

The DOT 5 vers. DOT 3 is a toss up depending on who you ask.

I've been using DOT 3 since 2012. No issues

Captaincarrier

Arcadia Florida have I think the 10 ton trucks for brush fire control and they tell me they are prone to getting stuck with the weight of the water tanks and the soft sandy soil.

Phil P

Thank you Scar59

I was betting on the fluid I got out of the system was DOT5 by the texture and the fact that water didn’t mix with it.

As for brake reliability this truck will never see a paved road unless it’s on a lowboy for transport to a new owner or the scrap yard.

They have used it some before I got any braking working in it that’s just the cattle business.

I have some manuals and finding it hard to use them unless there is an index manual that tells you what manual is for what purpose.

The King Machine

I like your graphic. LOL

I have a very extensive background in heavy equipment both of road and on road and the 18wheeler that flies.

The smaller version of the 18wheeler that flies is the DC6 and it uses MIL 5606 hydraulic fluid for brake fluid. I have converted some smaller versions of military surplus aircraft from hydraulic fluid to DOT3 and some military surplus aircraft from DOT3 to hydraulic fluid.

Going either way is not just dump the old fluid and replace it with the new. So I plan on sticking to the DOT5.

Captaincarrier

I just happened to talk to the crew of one of those while they were waiting for a repair to the diesel. Those are the M39 or newer version of the 5 ton and they have serious problems with them in the sand and they have to be modified with a replacement transfer case so they can be reversed in 6x6 low range. The one I looked at had a placard on the dash panel stating that it had been modified so it could be reversed in 6x6 Low. This truck was from the well known dealer in Memphis TN I just can’t remember the name at this time. But was an excellent truck that had been professional brought up to excellent condition.LOL

As for the application for the M35 it will operate in various terrains including a mud that could be described as muck but is actually just plain mud.

We decided less water on a lighter truck with all 6 wheels driving would serve us better than the heavy truck whit more water.

This is replacing a F550 4X4 and I don’t believe we are doubling the water capacity. But that’s not my department I am just getting the truck in serviceable condition.

I will change all rubber in the cooling system, all belts and putting in a new radiator.

I also get the job of putting and extended bumper on for crew to work a fire hose from the front of the truck. That is a copy of the F550.

Phil P

Phil P

PS: I forgot to mention I had 2 International M6 2.5 ton 6x6 for years until the frames just rotted out so bad that they have to be scraped.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks