• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New to the m37

fullsizeXJ

Hey guys, i am now the proud owner of a m37, it needs a little TLC its been in a barn for about 5 years and im starting to put it back together, and i have a couple questions. i am famillar with MVs i also have a m35 w/ whistler and 1100x20s, also big into civilian jeeps. Anyhoo, on with the questions... the tires are gone.. they are all flat and dry rotted like crazy, now ive been looking at the Michelin 1100 R16, what is involved in putting those on stock wheels, and will they fit? The other question is the heat. I installed a whole heater kit in the deuce, is their a kit that would fit this power wagon as well? and im pretty sure im going to have to go through the break system as well, any tips for working with the breaks? btw the truck is a 1954 :)

acetomatoco

BRAKES are simple. Same as Jeep only scaled up... remember that the wheel cylinders are stepped and are left and right applications... front and rear the same. Heater kits for the M37/43 are expensive ... in the $400 range... lots of folks cobble in the nice little one for the M151. The LF fender mount burning gasoline is more money and $ to run.

citizensoldier

1100/16's will mount right up on stock rims. You will need to get radial tubes and flaps with the propper metal bent stem. International Tube and Tire in Texas is where I get mine but there could be other sources..
They do rob the little 230 flathead of some power but perform very good off and on the road. I think someone on here has a set of XZL's in the classifieds for 1k.. Thats about the going rate.
Yes ace is right the hot water heater kits they are drying up and will run you 400 bucks and up. I have seen tons of different types of heaters mounted on them so others will work just depends on the cobble issue.
Oh, CONGRATS! That truck seems nice to me. If you dont mind me asking what did you end up getting it for?
Oh, oh, and STA Supper Lug tires are a good tire for them if you dont mind the non NDT look. They perform real well and are the 900/16 size so you keep what little power they have. :D

CGarbee

Congratulations! They are fun trucks to drive (and to work upon...).
Since ACE didn't say it: Get the manuals... :) Best deal is the 3/4 ton CD set from Military Media (about twenty bucks) that has all the M37 manuals on it so you can print out the pages that you need while working on an assembly and save your reprint manuals for reading in the throne room...

Meanwhile, in addition to the Michelin 1100r16 and 900r16 tires that are loved but that are getting very hard to find, Yokahomma makes a radial that will mount up that performs well. For bias, in addition to the aforementioned STA Superlugs, folks like to run the Power King Super Traction/Co-Op Grip Spur (tire is made by Kelly Springfield division of Goodyear and has many brands/names depending on who is marketing it), as well as NDT's (if you want the orginal look and don't mind relatively poor performance on wet pavement).
Tire and rim info can be found on my website.
http://www.garbee.net/~cabell/tires.htm

As mentioned above, the correct hot water or gas fired personel heaters that are mounted on the driver's fender are getting pricey. They also restrict access to the distributor, generator, and starter since they are mounted on the driver's side of the engine... A lot of folks use the M151 heater and mount it under the dash, a buddy uses a commercial truck/equipment heater that he mounts under the driver's seat.
Info on installing a M151 heater can be bound on my website (three different instalations are documented...).
http://www.garbee.net/~cabell/heater.htm

Brakes are relatively easy, rebuild is covered in the manuals. Consider converting to a dual MC. Also consider going to front wheel or four wheel disc brakes instead of rebuilding the stock drum system. More braking power, less maintenance, and much less expensive consumables down the road (GM 3/4 ton pads are a lot cheaper and easier to source than the Dodge shoes...).
Info on these conversions can be found in detail on Ray's Uglytruckling site (he's the guy who fabricates the disc brake conversion kits).
http://www.uglytruckling.com/M37 Trucks/M37 kits.htm

As you may have noticed, part of this is just a shamless plug to say that I've got some info on my website that might be of use to you... For the rest, just ask and we'll all try to help...

Enjoy.

fullsizeXJ

thanks for all the imput, yeah about the breaks i was just wondering what to expect when i get in there and start pokin around but if its the same as the jeep shouldnt be hard, yeah ive notice that other people use under the dash heaters the 400$ one isnt a big issue, ive been trying to find one with no luck :? but yeah the truck is really solid i'll try and get some pics up the guy has complete rear canvas cover and new cab cover with all the hardware and im going to strip it and paint it olive drab semi gloss throw new stars on it put the tire pressure on the fender all that good stuff. got it for 2800

M-37Bruce

Heater Info

Hey fullsizeXJ,
Sam Winer, In Ohio, has had the MUTT heater, was 89.00+s&h, maybe more now?
Sam Winer Motors Inc.; www.samwiner.com

On another note, John Bizal at Mid-West Mil has a couple of NOS fender mount heaters, don't delay, they will sell fast!!! www.midwestmil.com might get you there, other wise google him.
Good Luck,

tstephenson

RE: Heater Info

I think there is a heater on ebay under m37 right now for sale, they say it is for the m37, be careful
Tim

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks