• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New to The MV world

Hi I am new to the site and just bought my first M818. It only has 9,000 miles on it and is a 1970. I love it. It is in great shape and needs just about nothing. I would like to start modifying it in the way of tires and rims a heater kit and possibly a turbo and a jake brake. Any tips would be great. Thanx

dm22630

Rims/Tires are the easiest thing to do. You can swap them out & dont have to really do anything.

Heaters are a day long job. If you dont drive it a LOT in the winter....I wouldnt mess with that....I just drove one of my 818s home from NY (500 miles) @ 32 degrees outside & didnt turn my heater on & had the window half way down. Those engines throw out a LOT of heat!

Turbo.......I know one or two people here have added them. Extremely hard from what I remember.

Jake brake......dont have a clue.....sorry!

Daniel

and WHERE are some pics!?! ;)

matthew

hi great web site im not so good with computers but there seams to be alot of good info here i just bought a 1986 4/4 5/4 ton gmc 6.2 deisl autmatic tran thought id ask for some help the bodys great but shes got a few problems my main rear seal is leakin bad and i read about that nepren seal to replace it but wheres a good place to get it? i also have trany and break lines to mend but i can handel that also wanted to ask if any one ever swaped gears in the rearend want higher ones cause im going to use it for an every day driver but not to high. also wanted to know if theres a manuel trans that would work with that truck thanks for being out here i love this truck and i think i'd be lost whithout good info

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I read an article in Military Vehicles Mag where the military tried Jake brakes on some of the 5 tons. They had to modify the hood for it to fit.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks