• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New to the site and new to the interest of BIG trucks

brockoli

Hi to everyone here. This is a great site and I have been doing a lot of research and have a few questions that I am sure can be answered by someone. My interest is in something along the lines of an M818 tractor. I would consider making it a crew cab with a short box and winches at both ends and super singles all around. The area I live in is high desert with lots of 4x4 accessibilty however in the trees I would need the shorter wheelbase of the tractor compared to a troop hauler. The questions I have are:
-Can I get the M818 with the turbo or is it a owner installed item (which i am capabale of doing)?
-I live in B.C., Canada. What kind of special dance and hoop jumping do I have to do to get one up here?
-How can I convince my wife that this is a great idea, hahaha?
Thanks to all for any responses.
-Brock

LanceRobson

M809 series trucks do not have turbos. Putting one on seems to require some extensive duct work. The intake is on the driver side, the exhaust is on the passenger side and there is no room to go over the top of the engine without cutting the hood. If you use the "Search" feture above you'll find better info.

These things weren't designed to pound them cross country and are best kept slow and steady. They were designed to move at a walking pace or slower in really rough terrain. Unless altitude is an issue I think the extra power from a turbo would make it more likely to break something. For instance, the front axle. If the rears are slipping and the front gets traction ALL of the power will go to the front and things can break in an instant. Sure as can be, it'll happen way out in the boonies. I decided many years ago that I want my back country experiences calm and without drama.

Don't forget that if you break down in the boonies, there are darn few vehicles around that can pull you back home.

If it's going to get much off road use you will likely want to get much softer springs. The M818 is sprung for a lot of weight over the rears and running it cross-county it will beat your spine into the shape of a taco and you'll have snot running down your chin.

Can't help with the regulatory issues.

As far as the wife, I sell enough to pay for what I keep and she sees them hauling firewood, gravel, construction material etc. I've been kown to leave a truck and trailer with a big load of firewood parked in front of the kitchen window for a few hours before unloading it. ;-)

Lastly, welcome to the family and enjoy the experience.

Lance

brockoli

Thanks for the replies guys. Perhaps I should have asked, What truck is best suited to go play in the mud, run some rocky steep terrain, and drive down to Oregon once in a while to go play at the beach? I have a wife, 2 kids, and 2 dogs that would come for the ride and being a metal fabricator, I have no issues making it a crew cab or doing any needed upgrades to springs or the like. Thanks for all your advice, after all, you guys have them, I don't.....yet. :-|

bbf

i did that to 813 and in the mud it is not to happy i had got it stuck in a few inches it is to heavy it sand it dose a little better

brockoli

I don't want to sound like all I do is sit around and watch You tube videos but I have seen quite a few, from Steel Soldiers as well, with their rigs hub deep in the mud. I know mud isn't all the same, we have some greasy stuff here with a lot of alkaline in it, really stinky,sticky stuff. Some trails are really steep and have really hard packed shale too. Not too much in the way of sand around here unless you're at the river edge. I just think that a really big rig would be a lot of fun for us, and I would also use it on trail clean up runs with local clubs.
-Brock

yotawheeler

im a fan of the M81X trucks also....but if you want to do mud and stuff...i wonder if a deuce would be better suited as it is a fair bit lighter i believe and still 6x6 and bada** just a though, im just a fellow newb without a military truck

markmontana

Since you're not limited to the number or type of trucks you can (and probably will) own, get the one you want. Seems you have a good positive attitude, I think your family will have a blast with whatever M___ you get.