• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New to the site, Shopping for deuces.

mxrider99

one with a flatbed that can hold the race truck and still do 65 mph through California legally as it is NOT towing a trailer.

You will find that the top speed on most M35's are 56-57 mph
See, i have done a little reading! yes sir, i have read that.

But, when you bob them, with big tires i have read they are good up to 75! wich is more than enough. Only needs to do 65-70 for me to be happy. and if i can get 7-10 mpg at 70 mph id be STOKED.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, Im new here. Ive been into offroad since i was about 4 (racing trophy trucks, etc) and am now 19. Im looking to get a deuce to turn into a 4 door in the future, (not so much looking into bobbing, just big tires and keep 6x6)

But for now, im just looking for a deuce. Now heres my issue. What kind of deuce should i be looking for? I like the idea of a bed, But the cargo box is very cool too!

Im mainly looking at the deuce because it seems simple, and the MPG rating out of the multi fuel engines is 8+ MPG. cant beat that. Ive seen/read a little bit about 5 tons. Would those be a better option? how is the MPG on those? Thanks for your help in advance. and i apologize if this has been asked a thousand times before.
Welcome , if you looking to retain the 12 ft, box or cargo bed you need to find a m36 which is the longer version of a m35 .

As for doing 70 miles an hour get a civilian truck these just were not designed for those speeds safely .

mikey

But, when you bob them, with big tires i have read they are good up to 75! wich is more than enough. Only needs to do 65-70 for me to be happy. and if i can get 7-10 mpg at 70 mph id be STOKED.
do you race rc trucks? you do realize a bobbed deuce will have a bed just long enough for a motorcycle right? something like 96 inches

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
:roll:

Here we go again. Might want to check on that insurance thing before you go much further down this road. Ensure you tell them you plan on driving in a 13500 pound truck with a single circuit brake system designed immediately after WWII that if one component fails, the whole system fails.

Then tell them you plan on lifting and redoing the wheels to X inches and cutting X inches off of the frame yourself.

Then ensure you tell them you plan on driving this thing in the left lane at 70 mph. Ensure they know it won't stop on a dime and will roll quite easily over any soccer moms POS van that has the nerve to occupy the same space and time that you want to be in.

That is, if this is not just another fake post similar to several other postings the past few weeks to insite reactions from members of this website.

You planned actions my friend are extremely unsafe and unpopular on this site. You have also made it public so any lawyer worth is salt would rake you over the coals on any accident not matter how trivial.

If you really want to go fast, strap some JATOs to it and they'll give you a boost.

Good luck, you'll need it, and see you in the fast lane passing me as I drive in the slow poke lane.

Last edited:

Zack

Mx. I myself are new to the site and mv s. I won a truck off of gl just waiting for paperwork to clear so I can go get it. Anyhow I don't know if you have driven anything like one of these trucks, but like some of the other guys said the brakes are not what you would expect. One of the members of the site was kind enough to let me drive his truck, it was awesome but nothing like I expected, need to plan way ahead and watch out for fools with a deathwish that will pull out in front of you. These trucks do NOT stop anything close to fast... Just my two cents. Hope you get a truck be safe and enjoy the site also lots of good folks on here.

biodeucel

The truck may be capable of going that fast, but just because you can, doesn't mean you should. Actually, you really shouldn't. Please don't. It's really, really, really not safe.

2cents

hole

As stated by others, these trucks were not designed to go fast. The brakes can be a problem, as stated by others, personally had wheel cylinders give out. It's hard to describe the feeling when you push on the brake peddle and it just goes to the floor, and your going 50 +/- mph. As far as hauling things in the bed or trailering, a Deuce will do ok on flat roads, but will be quite slow on grades. Mine max's out at 25 pulling my 105 up Cajon on I-15. Good luck on your quest. Spend some time reading old threads in the Deuce Forum, you will gain a wealth of knowledge.

Unforgiven

Driving a Deuce in Las Vegas is NOT easy.

The driving style nowadays is Californian (due to the massive influx of Californians in the late '90s to present). That means impatient, rude drivers that tailgate, cut you off within inches, never use blinkers, expect YOU to move over when they are merging, and drive way too fast in any conditions.

Coupled with this, the Nevada roads are incapable of such heavy traffic loads. I.e., Las Vegas is WAY, WAY, WAY overcrowded. Getting stuck in stop-&-go traffic (or even worse a freeway backup) in a Deuce is miserable. Trust me on this.

Recently, I was backing into my driveway. With manual steering on a Deuce and living in a residential neighborhood this is sometimes challenging. The angle required me to block off the street for, oh I don't know, maybe 4 seconds while I readjusted the wheels.

Now down South or up in the Pacific Northwest that would be no big deal. Where there are farmers & ranchers people understand that sometimes you have to wait for larger trucks.

Not in Las Vegas! My head was turned over my shoulder while backing. I needed to readjust slightly on the angle. So I turned my head forward and pulled forward a little at the same time. And what did I see?

Some MORON in a Japanese ricer trying to squeeze between the front of my truck and the sidewalk! When he saw my truck starting to move forward his face went into utter terror. He looked like he pooped his underwear. :lol:

Lucky for him, I understand just how many retarded people live in Las Vegas. So it was no big deal to tap the brakes at 0.25 mph & let the idiot through. I'm always looking for idiots when I drive the truck. And I always find idiots when I drive the truck. In fact, the truck seems to be a magnet for idiots. They cut you off, ride your back, jump ahead at stop signs because they don't want to wait for you to clear the intersection, and simply have no common sense nor patience.

Since I've bought this truck I've been much more courteous to OTR truckers on the highway. Now I understand what they go through on a daily basis.

In short, if you are already accident-prone with $500 a month insurance then the Deuce is the last thing to consider as a Toy Hauler.

A nice, used Chevy Kodiak or GMC Topkick with a flat bed would be a much more suitable choice.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Have been to Lost Wages in the summer time let me give you some prospective on driving a deuce in the heat. It is hotter than two rats f**king in a wool sock. Yea...I know...it's a dry heat.

Heat comes up through the floor, through the firewall, and from the top (soft or hardtop). If you are stuck in traffic you will know exactly how a potato feels while it is being baked. After an hour or so in the heat you won't have a dry piece of clothing on you.

Yes you can so some extensive modification and add insulation and air condidtioning to it....you might drop the interior temp 10 degrees on a good day. The deuce cab is a bare metal enclosure and you can't make much more than that out of it. It leaks like a seive from all the gaskets around the doors and windows.

It has a 140 HP engine.....you can't gold plate a turd.....short of repowering it with an LDS (5 ton multi-fuel) or a small Cummins it is going to be a dog when you load it down or hit a hill....it is the nature of the beast and the way it was built.

You can turn the fuel to it at the risk of melting it down or have that visible rod syndrome occur.

The dueces primary mission was to haul troops and cargo over rough terrain at low speeds. That is what it was built for and what it is good at. When it was first built there were almost no Interstates or high speed roads and 45-55 was considered a good top end.

At the risk of beating a dead horse......the brakes are the weak link...there are disc converstions available but be prepared to lube up when you buy them. And it is still a single master cylinder....make sure you install the anchor option for emergency stops.

If you add up the cost of all the mods needed to get a deuce to where you seem to want it you can get a Dodge Dually with a Cummins in it for comparable money.....with the price of diesel I'm sure it is a buyers market for them. You will prob get better fuel milage in the dually than in a deuce.

There are several members in the Vegas area.....my suggestion would be to meet up with someone that will let you get some stick time and experience with one before you commit to buy.

steelandcanvas

What's going on with these threads lately? Are we being set up for someone's amusement? Seems as though these Guys are coming out of woodwork with "not very well thought out" purchases and modifications.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Quick answer is YES!

These are all designed to drive a wedge between members. It started with Flyburoptik or whatever his name is. Bottom line is someone is probably very good with electrons and making it appear as if they are new from somewhere else.

Frankly anyone new, until they physically meet a known member is suspect. I again caution anyone that would consider doing business or trusting anything said by an 'unconfirmed' member.

steelandcanvas

I'm choosing from now on just to ignore these assinine threads. I logon to learn, share and socialize. Responding or reading these threads takes away from valuable time I could be using to appreciate another Member's thread with a project or photos of something informative. This crap is getting old real quick.:roll:

Last edited:

KsM715

I dont think they are "troll" threads. There were alot of deuces dumped in to surplus in the last few years and they are getting seen more regularly in public hands. To most in the automotive hobbies they are something new and unkown so we are getting alot of "car" guys looking at them and thinking they would be a neat "hot-rod". They type Deuce into google to do some research and guess what pops up at the top of the list every time? SteelSoldiers, so this is where they start.

mxrider99

No, this is not a troll thread. I will be getting a deuce. If I cannot se it as a car hauler. I will use it as a chase truck. Brakes will be my first upgrade. Trust me. Ill reply better when I'm jot replying on my phone from a coffee shop in Baja California pre running for the score San Felipe 250

mxrider99

Driving a Deuce in Las Vegas is NOT easy.

The driving style nowadays is Californian (due to the massive influx of Californians in the late '90s to present). That means impatient, rude drivers that tailgate, cut you off within inches, never use blinkers, expect YOU to move over when they are merging, and drive way too fast in any conditions.

Coupled with this, the Nevada roads are incapable of such heavy traffic loads. I.e., Las Vegas is WAY, WAY, WAY overcrowded. Getting stuck in stop-&-go traffic (or even worse a freeway backup) in a Deuce is miserable. Trust me on this.

Recently, I was backing into my driveway. With manual steering on a Deuce and living in a residential neighborhood this is sometimes challenging. The angle required me to block off the street for, oh I don't know, maybe 4 seconds while I readjusted the wheels.

Now down South or up in the Pacific Northwest that would be no big deal. Where there are farmers & ranchers people understand that sometimes you have to wait for larger trucks.

Not in Las Vegas! My head was turned over my shoulder while backing. I needed to readjust slightly on the angle. So I turned my head forward and pulled forward a little at the same time. And what did I see?

Some MORON in a Japanese ricer trying to squeeze between the front of my truck and the sidewalk! When he saw my truck starting to move forward his face went into utter terror. He looked like he pooped his underwear. :lol:

Lucky for him, I understand just how many retarded people live in Las Vegas. So it was no big deal to tap the brakes at 0.25 mph & let the idiot through. I'm always looking for idiots when I drive the truck. And I always find idiots when I drive the truck. In fact, the truck seems to be a magnet for idiots. They cut you off, ride your back, jump ahead at stop signs because they don't want to wait for you to clear the intersection, and simply have no common sense nor patience.

Since I've bought this truck I've been much more courteous to OTR truckers on the highway. Now I understand what they go through on a daily basis.

In short, if you are already accident-prone with $500 a month insurance then the Deuce is the last thing to consider as a Toy Hauler.

A nice, used Chevy Kodiak or GMC Topkick with a flat bed would be a much more suitable choice.
thanks for the help.
It will rarely be driven in vegas. Mainly back roads and in Mexico for off-road races. I now only plan on getting one to use as a chase truck.

zout

Ah - just saying welcome to the site of knowledge and infliction of OD GREEN - may your lesson begin.

Lesson 101 - comence