• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New to the site with a 1984 CUCV

victor3ranger

Just picked up a 1984 M1008?? CUCV. Trying to figure out how to make this thing start easier.

Anyway, I hope to read a lot and learn as much as I can on this site.

cpf240

Welcome to SS!

Please read through the useful stickies at the top of the CUCV forum, as well as download the TMs from this site. You'll find lots of useful info, including possible solutions to your hard start issue. I'd look into fuel leaks and check the condition of the glow plug system to start with. There is a full test procedure in the TMs for the glow plug system.

We like pictures! Please post pictures of your new MV!

victor3ranger

Thank you for the warm welcome..

Which TM covers the testing procedures on the glow plugs??

If this thing does need new glow plugs what are the best ones to buy??

In the past this truck had the glow plugs bypassed to a push button so they could be activated without turning the key on.

I need to take the batteries out and have them tested to make sure they are up to speed as well.

cpf240

The -20 TM would cover the GP testing, but as yours is modified, only the ohm testing of the GPs and the testing of the relay will apply, probably, depending on how the push button was wired. I'd suggest tracing out what you have and understanding how it works. There is some debate over which GPs to use, but the general concensus seems to be to NOT use the Wellmans ( Swellmans ). The AC60 GPs are popular, and some like to use the Bosch. Much of this is covered in the useful threads on the GP system.

victor3ranger

The guy I got the truck from gave me a EBAY link that showed some american made glow plugs that were supposed to only be for the 1008-1009 vehicles and are supposed to be around 100* hotter. These were about $54.00 for the set. Does this sound about right?

evldoer

The guy I got the truck from gave me a EBAY link that showed some american made glow plugs that were supposed to only be for the 1008-1009 vehicles and are supposed to be around 100* hotter. These were about $54.00 for the set. Does this sound about right?
Maybe. But I wouldn't trust them in my truck. 100 degrees hotter doesnt mean much to me. If the system is working properly it shouldn't mean much. Do yourself a favor and pick up a set of the AC 60G glow plugs from rock auto and you won't have any problems.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
TM 9-2320-289-20 has the troubleshooting section for your truck. You will want all of the 289 series. They cover lubrication, operation, general maintenance and heavy maintenance. They also have all the GM part numbers and diagrams.

The glow plugs that have been the best are the AC60s. They run about $8 each.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm just down the road from you and I have written a bunch of the threads and stickies for the CUCV. Have questions just ask.

Skinny

Congrats on the new purchase! Need pictures!!!

Agreed, you have a LOT of reading to catch up on in order to make some informed decisions. I would highly suggest becoming familiar with the various systems and doing the much needed updates to them in order to avoid potential catastrophic failure. These things are dirt simple and pretty reliable but you have to get over the hump first which is usually heavy maintenance, starting, charging, and a few key upgrades.

victor3ranger

I'm just down the road from you and I have written a bunch of the threads and stickies for the CUCV. Have questions just ask.

Thanks Warthog, this is my first actually owning one of these myself. Messed with a lot of HumVee's over the past few years but being a grunt I never got the chance to really get into the workings of these things.
I have a lot to learn.

the skull

Welcome! If you messed with Humvees then (so I'm told) cucv's
should be easy. The tech I work next to says he preferred the leftover
cucv's to the humvees they had where he was stationed.
I know NOTHING about humvees, except I drove an H1 twice.

It was fun. It wanted me to squish things.

I have a lot to learn.

So do I.
My 1008 teaches me lessons frequently.
Keep reading on this website was the first lesson.
Have Fun here!

Skinny

That is the GP number, do not forget you will need to get new female spade terminals as the OEM ones are too narrow to fit on those.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
1/4"

I like the insulated type

terminal.jpg

You can change out the terminals or some people will grind down the terminals on the glowplugs to fit the old wire terminals

victor3ranger

Welp, picked up the AC60G glow plugs and femaile spade connectors a few minutes ago. Hope to get these things swapped out starting late this afternoon. Keeping my fingers crossed that this will help in the starting dept.