• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New to this site.

acthomp781

DSCN2494.jpgDSCN2488.jpgHello all. I just picked up my very own M1009 last Saturday. It is a 1986. The PO converted it to 12 volt, with a momentary switch for glow plugs, I was disappointed with that, I plan to convert it back to 24 volt. It would start very hard, or not start. I looked up the TM for diagnosing the glow plug system and found the glow plug card is bad ( kinda figured that), but getting power to the GP and that the GP were good. The next thing was the fuel pressure switch. I removed it, tapped the hole and screwed in a screw with Teflon tape. I also replaced the fuel lines, the one from the pump to the filter, and the one from the filter to the IP. After bleeding the filter, red fuel came out ( the PO is a farmer). I pushed the GP switch in for 15 seconds, and the engine sputtered for 2-3 seconds, then next turn of the key fired right up:naner:. I was a 2nd echelon mechanic in the Marines for 4 years, 1989-1993. I mainly worked on M998, M923, and M918. The smell of the diesel and the sound brought back many memories. The info on this site is amazing!

Last edited:

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
acthomp781. Welcome aboard from Nevada, and congrats on the purchase of your M1009. You'll find plenty of support here for your CUCV. Also important, take some pictures of your truck. We love pictures. [thumbzup]

OGMurph

Awesome to hear you got it running! Thats legit! Congrats on the purchase.

I love my M1009 and have run into a ton of problems and been able to fix almost everything with the excellent help of this forum.. One of the Gems of the internet!

MarcusOReallyus

The smell of the diesel and the sound brought back many memories.

It's amazing how smells can bring back memories, isn't it? I was mech infantry, and diesel exhaust takes me right back to the motor pool.

Welcome aboard!

For your GP card, contact member antennaclimber. He makes a very nice replacement GP card for these beasties. He's made a small business out of it. Veteran owned and operated, thank you very much! :beer: He's got a website but I don't have it bookmarked.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks