• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Toy, 65GPM Yanmar powered freshwater pump

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can't be diesel, I see sparkplug!

That's a cool little pump, I might need to get a couple, one to keep for moving water (some fire protection at the farm) and one for WVO moving.

Isaac-1

The best source I have found for fire hoses (if you don't have a brother in law that is a fire fighter, etc.) is ebay, I bought the 75 Ft 1.5 inch hose seen above for around $50, it is 20 years old, but appears to have spent its whole life in a fire cabinet somewhere and looks like new, but was probably retired vs being retested due to age.

Ike

p.s. Derf, it looks like I will not be bidding on many GL toys for a few months until the bank account fills back up, going to Houma to buy a new car tomorrow. (that is unless they go dirt cheap and I can't pass them up)

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You may need a 90 on the output nipple, there is a bend in the hose. Congrats on the purchase..![thumbzup]

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Isaac, I like your GL win, looks like a great way to move water. If I had a source of water like your pond, I'd look at competeing for one of them. Since I don't, maybe I'll make due with what i got.
To see if I was just wasting time, I fired up the motor by pouring some gas in the carb. Didn't run long, which tells me bad gas in the tank. Easy fix; fresh gas and a clean spark plug. As for the pump, if I can find another 55 gallon drum, I'll fill it with water and check out the pump. Might just have to figure out an applicatiion. Got all the fittings and the gate valve. maybe that banged up bed don't need fixing...just put it on the truck, stick a water tank in it, plumb it with the motor/pump..home made fire truck. Somebody / anybody see any holes in the idea?

Triple Jim

You may find the carb is gummed up and has blocked fuel passages if the engine runs when primed with gasoline, and then quits when that fuel is used up. You're right that it proves usable fuel is not reaching the cylinder.

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks Jim for the info/reminder. It's been a long time since i tinkered with a motor I could pick up with one hand. Might even be fun for a change:). It's going to get a thorough cleaning, inside and out. If I keep it, it'll need it to be used. If I sell it, I don't want to sell someone a piece of unknown junk. A long time ago (30+ years ago) Dad and I could tear down and repair a B&S engine in an afternoon and have it running and ready for the next days mowing jobs. I think those memories are still in the attic; if not, I got a B&S overhaul book...I know, that's cheating but the brain cells aint what they used to be:grd:

cucv1833

Check it out Ike. I got it going. Started on the 3rd pull. It's practically brand new. I installed new fuel filter and cleaned the tank. I ensured the injection pump wasn't stuck and fired it up.

I bought the pick up hose and screen from a local hardware store and made a make shift output hose.
I filled a 55gal plastic drum and the pump sucked it dry in about 15 sec.

I forgot to open the lid on the other side of the drum and it caved it in before I could get to it.:oops:
Oh we'll it works well.

Attachments

Isaac-1

Well I found a new use for mine, the controller for the swimming pool pump got zapped by a power surge over the weekend so until the replacement arrives in a couple of days I am using the pump to keep the water circulated in the pool.

poolcirc.jpg

Attachments

Jimc

Well I found a new use for mine, the controller for the swimming pool pump got zapped by a power surge over the weekend so until the replacement arrives in a couple of days I am using the pump to keep the water circulated in the pool.

View attachment 426956

What is more impressive than the pump is that your pool is indoors. That is sweet. Around here the trees, leaves and everything else ends up in it making for really high maintenance.

Isaac-1

It does make things nice, at least most of the time, we have a lot of pine trees here, the pool is about 35 years old, just had to replace the roof over it for the first time last year (well it really should have been replaced 3 or 4 years ago), the long term economics of it really are not that bad either. I did the math a couple of years ago, and being indoors it uses a lot less chlorine than an outdoor pool (chlorine breaks down in sunlight), and at current market rates it has saved $25,000+ in Chlorine alone compared to the typical outdoor pool.

Jimc

25k lol. Thats just one reason i will never own a pool. It would be cheaper to fly to your place every other weekend, swim and fly home. Ill stop over ok?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks