• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New toy for the fleet

RDUKW

Hi All

Thanks for the comments on the truck. I will try to get some interior and engine shots this week. As far as the name goes I really don't know the history of it or if it dates back to WWII or not. At the moment I am just trying to remove as much of the junk people have put on her over the years and get her back to original. The tires are 9.00x20.00 and at some point will get switched back to the original 7.50x20.

Ryan

RDUKW

Here is one photo of inside and the engine. I have collected the original air filter, oil fill / breather and oil filter for the engine already.

Ryan

paulfarber

I'd pay close attention to the motor as the PVC nipple on the top of the valve cover is missing. If its been run like that there is a chance that debris could have been sucked in there and in the intake manifold where the other end should have connected. It also looks like you are missing the hydrovac vacuum lines. Does it have brakes?

Getting the engine and brakes back to original are gonna be spendy. But as long as you don't open the bonnet, only you will know.

Cab looks in good condition. Not to open a new can of worms, but I would not have paid more than $3500-4000 if it runs and stops. Its got a good cab and sheet metal. Getting a complete gas tank and tire carrier is good. You need a bed, redo the engine and brakes/tires then paint.

I'd say you have about $5-6k to go for a cosmetic restoration. If you can trade/sell your Chevy bed for a CCKW one that might knock off $1-2k (tires $2500, paint $400, Bed $2000, misc engine bits $1k)

Its in such good overall condition you could drive it as is and few would notice the incorrect bits.

RDUKW

Yeah I saw the vent but luckily I have a tube in inventory and someone put steel wool in the fitting. As far as the brakes go they work great and are all original. The early trucks had the hydrovac fittings at the back of the intake manifold as far as I can tell.

Ryan

RDUKW

Paul

Is there any chance you have any leads on the rubber parts for the original hydrovacs? I sent my DUKW one out to be rebuilt and the nos parts are all rotten for the cups and there seems to be no replacements out there.

Thanks
Ryan

paulfarber

Rex Ward is your best hope.

Second Series vacs? I have ONE kit left and it ain't going anywhere. There is really only two major seals.. the leather piston seals, not hard to get them... lots of places still sell leather seals. The other is the relay valve.. but they are simple neoprene diaphragms and rubber seals.. nothing exotic or special.

The other is Cup, GM-2156874 its used on the Second Series, and also the First (didn't check the Third). If you are losing brake fluid, 99% of the time this is the culprit. Its a leather seal in a pressed metal disk. I read a web page YEARS ago about a dutch guy buggering his up and making a new one.. its leather, so not a critical dimensioned part.

paulfarber

The 44 SNL only shows the mid mount for CCKWs. CCKWX's are shown with the rear intake mount. I know they were back there.. but have no idea on by what chassis number... 41 or early 42 I would guess.

RDUKW

The parts I'm looking for look like a rubber wheel cylinder cup except for they have a hole in the middle. They are 1/2" od. and 1 1/16" od both with holes in them. The brake guy I use could not find any replacements for them. Let me know if you have any ideas.

Thanks
Ryan

paulfarber

I think its the PN I listed above GM-2156874. I might be wrong about being pressed in metal. The second series uses two, one on each side of the piston. The first series only uses one. Are you sure you have a Second Series, and not a First Series with dual pistons?

CCKW/CCKWX chassis number before 41198 came with First Series, Single piston.
CCKWs chassis numbers 41189 through 220521 came with the First Series, dual piston.
CCKWs after chassis number 2205221 had Second Series vac.
No idea on when the Third Series cam out... IIRC 1945 SN 500,000+

Pictures! Bendix Hydrovac Identification TM9-8651

Download the TM I referenced above and it will list all the first and second series vacs.

I can open my rebuild kit and post pics.

Only other option would be to look at a Third series rebuild kit for the piston seal PN and see if they are the same. I have little info on the Third Series, but they are supposedly readily available.

I have an ORD-8 from 1948 that *might* have a part number

RDUKW

this is the hydrovac out of my dukw not the cckw. It is definitly a second series. It has two of the big cup seals and one small. Thanks for the help.

Ryan

paulfarber

Opps, sorry, I though we were talking about the new truck :oops:

You might luck out and find a rebuild kit for a T17 Armored car, they have the Second series vacs in them.

I'm trying to get a list of all the MVs taht would have used the Bendix Second Series vacs that the CCKW would use... but other than the T17 I have not had much luck (although I have not tried super hard to get the list.

Rex Ward is your best bet for all things DUKW related. He may have them or know where they can be had.

RDUKW

I have gone thru two nos rebuild kits already and the only bad part in them is the rubber cups. This suprises the heck out of me because everything else rubber from that era is great, I am even running 60 year old tubes in my tires because the new ones are junk.

Ryan

quarkz

Supreme Galactic Cleric
Steel Soldiers Supporter
paulfarber,

Your TM9-801 site is great.
That is really going to come in handy as I picked up a 45' DUKW a month a go.

I was thumbing thru the site and in the Bendix Hydrovac manual, and at the top of page 18, when you click to go to <19> it takes you to page 12.

Just thought you'd like to know.

Also you wouldn't happen to know if a similiar site exists for the TM9-1802 manuals (A, B, C)
B&C I think are DUKW specific.

Thanx

Thanks again for the hard work on the site.

RDUKW

Hi Quarkz

Congratulations on your DUKW purchase. Which Dukw did you end up getting and where was it located? I purchased a copy of the manuals on ebay for I think it was $7.00 on cd. I also have the original manuals to.

Ryan

paulfarber

The blue Hydrovac book only goes so far. Its on the list to scan and OCR.. but since most of the info is in the TM9-1827B (save for some civvy specific info) its not a priority..

I actually lucked out and got a first print, and a second print with corrections and an addendum for the blue bendix book.

The later Army Motors has a few vac specific articles.. the late 44 and 45 editions seem to cover the CCKW (whats a Jimmy? :) Its not in any of the books I have) brakes and cargo beds.... I have 3-4 more issues to scan and put up.

Also need to give a shout out to Portrayal Press for some good TMs. Be advised MOST of the Maintenance TMs are available free on line. I know the DUKW TM9 is available in PDF. Its the parts manuals (SNLs) that are hard to get.... but if you look through my site I have a list that should get you everything you need. A copy of the SNL for $20 is a steal, you can download most of the other CCKW TMs off my site. Look in the pubs forum.

Last edited:

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
How much of the DUKW stuff is available for free? tm9-801.com?

I'd like to read up on it.

Thanks!

quarkz

Supreme Galactic Cleric
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RDUKW,
I got my DUKW from Steve Preston in Portland.
He had an SS want ad here.

Seized engine, but it all looks to be there, brake lines are all rusted thru.
Hull looks pretty sound., many coats of paint on the sides to scrape.
Rear has a boom crane welded to the deck, over where the winch sits.
I haven't go inside to find out if there is still a winch there.
Sides of cargo area were poorly cut flush with the deck.
No CTIS or appropriate rims, but between Preston and Greenberg there are many DUKW parts in PDX.

But I am stoked to see what I can get done.

I just dropped $300+ on all the manuals for a 45' DUKW that portayal press had. (But they say it will be a 5-6 wk wait and I want to get to learnin')

I didn't find a online version (free or for sale ) in my explorations of the interweb.

Ever heard of fiber glassing the metal hull of a duck, or is welding patched the prefered way to go?

:lost: when it comes to DUKWs

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks