• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

new toy (m916a1) to be made into a 4000 gallon water truck.

chess

hello all yesterday i took delivery of a pretty clean with 50k miles 1992 m916a1. the guy i got it from took off the hitch,roller and winch. better for me i was going to scrap all that. today i got to work by putting some pretty newish 16r00 michelins with the 5 ton wheels out back and custom made tube wheels in the front. also i disconnect the muffler. sounds wicked with the jakes turn on. well my plans for this beast is to make it into my new personal water truck. going to be putting in a allison 4500 6 speed in it. add ac and of course the tank and plumbing. ill be making a thread when it starts to go under the knife. but here are some pics enjoy.

Attachments

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Because you did not capitalize?

chess

What are your plans for A/C? I have and M916 I want to chill too.
Well on eBay I found some York compressor brackets for this motor. And I doubt the air box inside has a condenser. So. Most likely I will go with an standalone air box inside. I have a roof unit from red dot but this truck with 1600 tires is really tall. But I'll see about the ac when I get there. I'll be making a thread when I start tearing it apart.

also does any one know if these trucks have rear lockers? Mine feels like if it does.

Last edited:

Artisan

View attachment 491273

I know a simple "yes" would have sufficed - but I thought I'd show you how I found the answer...

Below is the sticker that was on my M916'S DRIVERS door but fell off.
I saw the same sticker on an as-new truck and it was a
bright yellow color, this is faded.

There is a part number and NSN for this sticker but EATON
refuses to sell it, they will not so much as return an email
about it. I sent several emails to differentials@eaton.com and
they all fell on deaf ears, when I called the guy about it he about
bit my head off when I asked for it, proclaiming IT IS NOT
NECESSARY! Effin jerk he was. I think he knew it was
me who was emailing him and he was pissed I found him.

I would love this sticker reproduced in a weather resistant sticker
or better yet a rivet on plate. Just because....
It is 4" x 3.25" outside dimensions.

...and it IS IMPORTANT and SHOULD BE labeled on all trucks regardless
of what the EATON guy says.

truetrac-m916.jpg

chess

What tyres did it come with .. Michellin XZY (??) or the Goodyear G177's?
lol thanks now I know for sure!!! And this truck came with g291 but only had singles in the back. I'll be giving them back to the guy I got the truck from since I have 1600 xzls on it already. Also today I took off the tube wheels in the front and put a set of 5 tons fit perfect.

DrillerSurplus

lol thanks now I know for sure!!! And this truck came with g291 but only had singles in the back. I'll be giving them back to the guy I got the truck from since I have 1600 xzls on it already. Also today I took off the tube wheels in the front and put a set of 5 tons fit perfect.
Looks like a nice truck. I have built a couple with the M916A1 trucks and they have worked out great. This one has the 395 tires.

When I looked at upgrading the Allison on a smaller truck to one of the newer models with overdrive, it was VERY expensive, just the electronic control box was over $1,000. Maybe you have a better source- the overdrive would be nice.

Are you going to have to comply with the CARB emissions rules? They sound pretty bad, but I don't know what all the exemptions are.

Attachments

chess

Nice truck. And yes I have a guy who builds all my Allisons he's going to get me the 4500 and have another guy wire it and mate it to the motor. I have this 740 sold for more than what I'm getting the 4500 for. Do you leave the 740? And add a hydraulic pto? And as of right now I fall under a low use exemption which is under 5000 miles a year. But I do plan on putting on a dpf whenever they make me. Or a job requires it.

DrillerSurplus

With the 395 tires, the top speed is OK, but there are times when it would be nice to run the stock tires and higher speeds when there is more highway driving. The 395's are a waste if the job is all on pavement.

These don't go into California, so we don't have to deal with CARB, but we have considered getting them signed up with the Forest Service for fire fighting-with the drought in California, might be a lot of fires.

Keep us updated on the 4500 install, I think it would be great. We are going to see if we can add some Red Dot air conditioning & I'll post the build when we do it.

Artisan

Driller be sure to look at Red Dot's R-9777-0-24p unit. It is a roof top
unit that is A/C and Heat and it needs no condenser as I understand it.
Just a compressor and its mount, the roof top unit and hoses.

When my next ship comes in I will pick up two of them, one for
the M925A1 and one for the M916.

The R-9777-0-24p is a 24V unit, it is available in 12V as well.

chess

I'm going to have a guy put the ac condenser inside the cab like a normal civilian truck. Because the truck would be too tall to go under the water towers with a roof unit.

DrillerSurplus

I'm going to have a guy put the ac condenser inside the cab like a normal civilian truck. Because the truck would be too tall to go under the water towers with a roof unit.

Keep us posted on the install. I bought a few Boyco RG31 MK5 AC units out of Herlong last year when I knew even less about what units best fit what truck. They were originally designed for the MRAP vehicles, hopefully they will work.

chess

I'll make a build thread when it starts to get taken apart. And yes must be called the evaporator. I'm not 100% sure on ac components but a guy who does all my electrical said that's how it's going to be done. The truck is already full 12 volts

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks