• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

new toy

Jimc

so a few months back triple jim had posted some pics of a couple things him and his kid made with their 3d printer. i've been wanting one for a long time so finally broke down, bought one and am trying to teach myself 3d modeling. thought i would share a familiar item i made up in cad and printed out.

IMG_2026.jpg

Jimc

pretty good actually. they feel basically the same. they lack the metal sleeve core but they do have the set screw. i tried one today without even putting the setscrew in and i thought i was going to break the actual switch so i would say while they arent mil-spec they are stronger than they really need to be. the plastic is abs

Jimc

thanks! its definitely a very cool device. make just about any plastic item you want to. there is a pretty good learning curve to it though.

johnray13

And I thought your gasket cutting printer was cool. 3-D printers still blow my mind.

I know when I first started hearing about them, they were crazy expensive but I hear people saying the prices are coming down. Where are they starting at now?

And if you get bored ,a video of it making a part would be really cool :)

John

Jimc

john, now kids are building them themselves for $400-$500 on up. triple jim's kid built both of his himself. he got me all fired up on it again so i had to finally break down and get one. once you get out of the kit or homemade ones and into a well engineered desktop unit they generally average from $1500-$3000. commercial units still are $35k and up avg. there a few different technologies involved as well. one is laser cured resin, the other is laser cured plastic powder but the most popular and ones that most people see are the fused filament type. basically melting plastic and putting it down layer by layer.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks