• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Trailer - M101A2

kjo43

After months of looking, I finally picked up a trailer, I was waiting for the right one and hopefully this will be it. Not doing anything really fancy here, but I needed a good all-purpose utility trailer. It came complete with racks, bows & vinyl cover all in serviceable shape. The 116A2 Chassis has the heavy spring pack, with a GVW of 3060, which I was pleased to see. As you can see the trailer was already painted & converted to a 7-way wire plug, both of which I'm OK with for my intended use.

Completed a few initial things:
- Sent my paperwork off to Maine to get a plate.
- Checked lots of bolts, found one of the 4 holding the coupler to the frame missing! :shock:
- I pulled off the original lights (well worn) & replaced with a set of generic LED trailer lights I had in the garage.
- I also removed the chains (too short) & replaced with some cables I had left from another project.
- Installed a few tie-down hooks in the bed
- Ordered a spare set of bearings based on the "roadside" post by Ratch this week. ~$30 from etrailers = cheap insurance. (etrailers is great, shipped same day)

To do list:
-Tires, they have lots of tread, but appear to be about 13 years old based on my reading of the DOT stamp. The sidewalls have some very minor cracking, prob nothing to worry about, but I'm going to find some to swap out anyway. A smaller tire like a 245/75 will lower the trailer a bit & they are plentiful on GM 8 lug rims.
-Tongue jack - This trailer doesn't have the adjustable landing gear - if I could find one, I'd swap it in... but if not I'm likely headed to Harbor Freight. Anyone know of a lead for adjustable landing gear?

-Rear leg - no bracket or leg, never had anything like that on a trailer before, and I'm still alive:eek: but I can see it being a nice feature if I could find one w/bracket, anyone?

-I need to check out the brakes - mstr cylinder is full & clean, need to put something in the trailer and go for a ride to see how they work. Momma wants mulch for the flowerbeds this weekend, so a couple yards of that ought to tell me how they work.

Anything else folks recommend I should do or look at?

12vman

I ve got one...I picked up a two wheeled adj jack at Harbour Freight and I really like it...the only time I use the permanent landing gear is when I know it will be sitting for awhile

Ratch

I'll tell you... When you have it fully loaded, an adjustable leg is a lifesaver.
I had (2) 1000lb generators in one of mine just for temporary storage, and needed to move the trailer to the back yard before some guests came over. It took everything I had to get it on the pintle, an adjustable leg would have saved me lots of pain and time...
Tractor supply had a deal on 2000lb wheeled legs for $14 2 years ago, I bought a bunch and don't know what I did with them. I know one is on a trailer I bumped with the backhoe, and is totally destroyed...

By the way, did you paint the trailer, or buy it painted?

I line all of mine with bedliner on the interior, and just recently started doing the exterior's with bedliner. Unfortunately, even after proper prep, it seems to come off the bed if any cargo, like a generator, scratches it.

kjo43

Update on some improvements. I was able to get my hands on some smaller 'previously enjoyed' tires in 225/75/16.

Here's a comparison of the standard issue 235/85/16 vs the smaller 225/75/16.
View attachment 426870

They gave me an effective 2" drop which has got the trailer leveled perfectly. This is with 2 yards of wood chip mulch. I did hit the rims with a wire brush and some black spray too.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367842983.140619.jpg

Last edited:

kjo43

And the brakes are back in action....

I had the (seemingly) common leaky shock in the surge coupler causing violent braking. So I ordered a replacement from etrailer a few weeks ago and got it installed, very easy I'd guess 30 minutes and nice smooth braking.

Here's a few shots I took along the way.

New shock attached.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367843322.215689.jpg

A look toward the master cylinder, from the front.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367843606.905794.jpg

kjo43

Very nice!

Did Maine request pictures of just numbers?
I used mainetrailerregistrations.com.... in both instances I have only needed to email copy of the bill of sale, they have a template on their site. What's nice is that you deal with them directly.... Not the state motor vehicle dept.

kjo43

Well I added a nice budget improvement this week. It's almost embarrassing to put such a cheap peice of Chinese junk on this heavy American trailer... But I'm a sucker for a bargain and for $25 (with a 20% off coupon) I couldn't resist.

Dual wheel jack from harbor freight. Perfect height and it rolls easily even across the grass! (empty).

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1368219186.456350.jpg

justinh

Well I added a nice budget improvement this week. It's almost embarrassing to put such a cheap peice of Chinese junk on this heavy American trailer... But I'm a sucker for a bargain and for $25 (with a 20% off coupon) I couldn't resist.

Dual wheel jack from harbor freight. Perfect height and it rolls easily even across the grass! (empty).
]
I bought the 1000lbs version this afternoon to put on my m101a3, I had that 1500lb version in my hand and then realized it said that was the supported tongue weight...ended up going for the smaller version since it was only about an 1.5" shorter or so i think. I'm about to go see if it will be tall enough, if not I'm glad to know the bigger one is!

kjo43

Loaded up again. Beautiful day of 40* and rain....ImageUploadedByTapatalk1396224104.855560.jpg

Springs are holding tough. I'm sure I split & loaded dam(n) close to a full cord into the trailer.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1396224274.950592.jpg

Iron Bender

How high does that Harbor Freight jack raise the lunette? I had a bit of a challenge finding a jack that would raise the lunette of my M101A2 high enough to couple to the pintle hitch on my pickup.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks