• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New transmission pan for the TH-400?

Lagers4myhead

I am planning on dropping my transmission pan and changing the fluid before I drive out to Alaska. The thought of another controlled spill of the transmission fluid, while fun and exciting ;-), is making me think of getting a replacement pan with a drain plug and maybe a temp sender. The pro's I can see are that it would be easier to change it in the future and it would likely have additional capacity and help keep the transmission cool, the con's are there that a drain plug is a possible point of failure and in Alaska it might keep the transmission too cool. Any thoughts or recommendations are greatly appreciated.
(P.S. I will be installing an external transmission cooler and I am planning on my mechanic making me a new set of transmission cooler lines as well. I will be towing a trailer and I will have about 4500 pounds between the weight of the trailer and the stuff in it and the Blazer.)

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
They do make a plug kit to add to your existing pan.

Some of them just screw together. Those do leak sometimes. I like the braze-in type.

Barrman

I put one of the "drill a hole, screw in hollow bolt and then screw in drain plug" B&M kits a year or so ago. Make sure you have the white washer on the inside and that you tighten it up real tight. Sure is easy to change fluid now.

ajsmith184

Just added a drain plug when I put in my shift kit last week...Cost $11. Just make sure not to drill the hole where the filter is, because they will hit and youll have to reweld your pan :-? Otherwise, seems to work great. Always has a drip of fluid on it..Doesnt even make a spot on the floor...But worth it.

Terracoma

Otherwise, seems to work great. Always has a drip of fluid on it..Doesnt even make a spot on the floor...But worth it.
Mine does the same thing, I think it's the opaque-white washers not sealing 100%.

Next time I drop my pan for a filter change, I'm going to put a very small bead of RTV under each of the washers.

C15TA

I managed to pick up a new Humvee pan (with drain plug) at the MTA swap in Sussex for $10.00. I thought that was a great deal. In my business when we do an oil change on a car with a white nylon gasket on the plug we automatically replace it at no charge. I would rather eat the price of the gasket than have to replace an engine. Terracoma is right, those white things are crap.
Cheers,
Barry

Anubis8472

The reason they don't come with drain plugs is because every time you change the fluid you also change the filter.

It really makes sense to.
Whatever is in your fluid that would prompt you to change it, is also in your filter.

The car companies don't make cars with an aim of being easy to service in the driveway. Kind of sucks, but thems the facts. A trans service done in an equiped service center can be done without spilling a drop.

Man ... I spend so much time being critical of engineers, this sounds like I'm defending them....
Must have balance!

What idiot decided to put a plastic drip catch under the oil filter, then make the stupid thing so short that the oil drips onto to the frame anyway!

Ok, now I feel better.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks