• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New truck in Northern Virginia

I registered for the site three years ago, and I've finally been able to buy a M1009. It's been a long time coming.

This one came to me with 5,000 miles, 14 bolt rear, Dana 44 HD front, and HMMWV wheels and tires. I'm most looking forward to painting NATO camo on it. It needs some body parts and bondo, and a lot of minor work first.

Attachments

Looks good! I like the hood ornament, does it say 6.2 LITRE on it?
Nope. God knows where the hood came from, but it's blue under the flaky spray paint. I may blank it off or replace the hood before I CARC it. The fenders have been trimmed and it needs a tailgate rebuild first.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If the hood is straight and rust free, might as well use it, no difference from civilian other than color. Well that one has the hood ornament and associated hole. I would find a “6.2 LITRE” ornament and paint the chrome part green, would be unique.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I registered for the site three years ago, and I've finally been able to buy a M1009. It's been a long time coming.

This one came to me with 5,000 miles, 14 bolt rear, Dana 44 HD front, and HMMWV wheels and tires. I'm most looking forward to painting NATO camo on it. It needs some body parts and bondo, and a lot of minor work first.
Well then, I guess we were a little slow with your Welcome to the Outfit post or - maybe just in time - since your truck finally found you :cool: Definitely snap up some more pictures and that will show you where you were when you started your build...

There is a thread in the PAINT and BODYWORK section that shows you the military pattern for three color camo. If you have access to an old-time overhead projector you could push the outlines to the truck.

There is a "Green Truck" event that happens in Virginia - normally in May. That would be a nice time to show off your New-To-You truck and a chance to meet other folks in your neck of the woods.

Again, welcome to the group!

CGarbee

Great to hear that you have found a MV to tool around in...
Since Mullaney mentioned the spring event... I'll put a plug in for the fall one... :)

Labor Day Weekend trail and road rides, fellowship, parts swap, etc...on a roughly 2000 acre farm next to the Shenandoah Park...

14th annual event will be held from September 1 - September 5, 2022.
Thread for the event is located at:

Welcome!!

Last edited:

dc_cucv

Hey I'm in Woodbridge and I just got my M1009 delivered today. Where are you located in NoVA? Might be nice to have someone local to work with....
Mine needs some love before she'll run though.

Hey I'm in Woodbridge and I just got my M1009 delivered today. Where are you located in NoVA? Might be nice to have someone local to work with....
Mine needs some love before she'll run though.
I just messaged you. I haven't done any work the last couple days since it started raining ice.

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well then, I guess we were a little slow with your Welcome to the Outfit post or - maybe just in time - since your truck finally found you :cool: Definitely snap up some more pictures and that will show you where you were when you started your build...

There is a thread in the PAINT and BODYWORK section that shows you the military pattern for three color camo. If you have access to an old-time overhead projector you could push the outlines to the truck.

There is a "Green Truck" event that happens in Virginia - normally in May. That would be a nice time to show off your New-To-You truck and a chance to meet other folks in your neck of the woods.

Again, welcome to the group!
Hey Mullaney, please remind me when/where the Green Truck event is. I've never attended so can't recall.
BDGR

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Hey Mullaney, please remind me when/where the Green Truck event is. I've never attended so can't recall.
BDGR

48th Annual East Coast Rally
Thu, May 12, 2022, 9:30 AM – Sat, May 14, 2022, 4:30 PM EDT
Ripken Stadium in Aberdeen, Maryland

There is also one - generally in September in Syria, Virginia

WOLF DOG

48th Annual East Coast Rally
Thu, May 12, 2022, 9:30 AM – Sat, May 14, 2022, 4:30 PM EDT
Ripken Stadium in Aberdeen, Maryland

Now I'm confused Mullaney, is the show at Ripkin Stadium in Aberdeen or is it in Hagerstown? My plans were to go to Hagerstown on Friday 13th.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Now I'm confused Mullaney, is the show at Ripkin Stadium in Aberdeen or is it in Hagerstown? My plans were to go to Hagerstown on Friday 13th.
Sorry Sir...

There is a Hagerstown event as well.

Bottom center of the website.

Also have a thread with a little better detail about Hagerstown:

Attachments

CGarbee

The Washington Area Collectors/Blue and Gray Military Vehicle Trust (WAC/B&G MVT) holds an annual rally...
They used to hold it at the Aberdeen Proving Grounds, then if moved to Churchville (at a site that turned into a serious mud bog...), then it moved to Ripken Stadium (on the grass and the pavement, then just the pavement...).
It has now moved to Hagerstown...

The website for the host club (with information concerning the event including site maps)
washingtonbluegray.com

CGarbee

The Graves Mountain MV Trailrides and Rally is always held over the Labor Day Weekend. To be precise, it officially starts the week before on Thursday and ends on Labor Day.
This year, the dates are September 1 - September 5, 2022.
The thread for this year's event is located at
Graves Mountain Rally (Virginia), Labor Day Weekend 2022 | SteelSoldiers

A quick search of the forums will show conversations from past events, the website for the event (need to update for this year) is located at:

Hope to see you!

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the outfit! Glad your truck made it home!

The first is usually the most 'remembered'..

Indeed... my first was a 1978 M880 that I bought off the lemon lot in Kaneohe Bay, HI for $700.00. I didn't know what I had, I just knew it was an old Army truck and I could afford it. (I sold "stock" in it to my buddies. The "stock" was rides to various places on the island. The more stock you bought, the further I would take you).

I ended up giving it away when I EASed out... I still wish I hadn't done that.

WOLF DOG

The Washington Area Collectors/Blue and Gray Military Vehicle Trust (WAC/B&G MVT) holds an annual rally...
They used to hold it at the Aberdeen Proving Grounds, then if moved to Churchville (at a site that turned into a serious mud bog...), then it moved to Ripken Stadium (on the grass and the pavement, then just the pavement...).
It has now moved to Hagerstown...

The website for the host club (with information concerning the event including site maps)
washingtonbluegray.com
Thank you for confirming my thoughts CGarbee. I've been to the WAC/B &G rally at Ripkin Stadium many times. It just appeared to me that Mullaney's information indicated that the rally was still at Ripkin Stadium.

WOLF DOG

Sorry Sir...

There is a Hagerstown event as well.

Bottom center of the website.

Also have a thread with a little better detail about Hagerstown:
Thank you Mullaney, my plans are still good. I'll be at Hagertown on Friday. Can't make a weekend out of it though, as much as I'd like to.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks